Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Olloclip for Iphone 5

I'm interested in hearing from anyone about their experience with these lens clips for the Iphone 5. They look like an interesting deal and are well reviewed. Of particular interest is ease of use in the field, quality of photos, in other words is this system all it's cracked up to be?
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

The new 4in1 is definitely better than the older 3in1 for the iPhone 4. It's a neat gadget but it is limited by the iPhone's camera, obviously it won't instantly turn your phone into a Pro DSLR but it does give some neat effects in a pocketable device.

Pros:
    Better quality glass than the 3in1 brighter with less distortion.
    Very pocketable.
    Pretty easy to install, just throw it on the corner.
    Well built and solid feeling.

Cons:
    Easy to misplace.... I may have two of them... Somewhere...
    A little fiddly. Lots of small parts and lens covers. I hate the stupid drawstring bag.
    Collects dust. No matter what you do or how you treat it.
    Not backwards compatible. When you get a new phone chances are it won't work and olloclip don't seem interested in offering adapters.
    Poor low light performance, it noticeably darkens the iPhones pictures becoming almost unusable in anything besides direct light.
    Doesn't work with any case except their own. That's the deal breaker for me, I always use an external battery case.
    Peels off screen protectors.
    Easy to drop into the Grand Canyon, I don't know about you but my wrist strap is my friend, and usually the only thing keeping my camera from suffering a horrible fall induced death. Not only is there no practical way to tether the easily removed lens there is no good way to tether a bare iPhone.
    Eats your battery, another "maybe just me". My phone ALWAYS dies! It really dies quickly using it as my only camera, especially since the olloclip covers up the sleep button on top of the phone.
    If you are taking photos you are exposing your expensive, distinctive, very steal-able phone. Your phone may also not fare well in the rain.

All together if you are willing to live with its limitations it can be fun. No one will mistake your images with ones from a 7D but that's really not the point. If you are looking for something to bridge the gap between an iPhone and compact DSLR while still being pocketable there are a bunch of good compact point and shoot cameras, some with pretty impressive zoom capabilities for capturing those monkeys, much easier than getting them to link arms so you can put them into barrels.

This is very helpful, Miking. The Olloclip sounds like a pain. I was hoping for an easy modification for the camera on my Iphone to avoid having to carry my Canon point and shoot, which is not a compact
    model. Just the lack of wrist strapping capability does me in. My camera is ALWAYS around my neck or on my wrist. I am less concerned about the battery issue as I won't be using the phone where I'm going...no service. Low light issues are a problem in the jungle. I think I'll save myself some money and stick with my Canon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

I've used an Olioclip for a year and it is super easy and goes in a pocket. Just pop it on an un-cased iPhone when you want a fish eye or macro shot.
    I'm a super minimalist traveler and have learned to take pretty good photos with my iPhone.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0