Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By MtnMan

Thread: Good earbuds that don't cost big bucks

Good earbuds that don't cost big bucks

What would make a good pair of replacement earbuds for an iPod? I have a really old iPod, and its original factory-spec earbuds are getting frayed. Is there a brand or model to look for that will be available at most retailers? Thanks in advance.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

The Panasonic ergofit are pretty great for $5-15 they are more of an "in-ear" style that seals in your ear canal so you have better sound isolation and bass response. Their cord is a bit flimsy and the plug doesn't work with many bulky phone cases but overall pretty good sound.

I really like the Motorola Rokr ear buds. They're $10ish on Amazon.

Skull Candy has a series of inexpensive ear buds (under $15-20) which have decent to good fidelity, fit well and are pretty sturdy. I have used the same pair at the gym for a couple of years. I also use them at home when listening in bed (so if I fall asleep and lay on them, I am not going to damage an expensive item). If you are serious about your listening (an audiophile), these are not for you.

I want to thank everyone in this thread for their interesting feedback.

As a result of this discussion, another Tom Bihn forum member, who did not participate in this thread, offered me a very generous Christmas gift: this person had a bunch of original iPod earbuds, never taken out of their packages, never used, that were offered to me free of charge. So this very nice person offered to mail them to me. I offered payment, but was refused. In the end, I have a bunch of mint-condition iPod earbuds and a very kind soul now has a clean drawer somewhere. I use iPod earbuds of an old iPod (due to be replaced; probably by an iPad Mini), my computer (it helps to keep from disturbing others), my camcorder (to check the sound quality while shooting), and for occasional audio recording/playback as well. Their size makes them highly portable, of course.

Don't say kindness and civility are dead, because I now have proof they're not.

This is definitely the nicest forum I've found on the internet. Ever.

This is also the most unique Christmas present I've ever received.

Thank you to my benefactor!

Merry Christmas, everyone!
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0