Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Of MacBook Airs and MacBook Pro Retinas

I appreciate the links. I'll have to check them out.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
    Hi Jeffmac: I thought only the superdrive worked with the MacBook Air? I did not know that any external drive would work? or are you simply referring to storage drives, and not CD drives?
    Hey Shiva, sorry I missed this. I have an ASUS USB CDRW drive that works perfectly with my MBA11. Just checked it again to make sure I wasn't lying to you!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmac View Post
    Hey Shiva, sorry I missed this. I have an ASUS USB CDRW drive that works perfectly with my MBA11. Just checked it again to make sure I wasn't lying to you!
    I think any drive that connects with USB should work fine.
    The Apple Superdrive for the Air was said to work only with the Air though so I wonder if that is what you are thinking?

I have Samsung,Pioneer,Sony and several no name drives that work fine on every Mac I have tried them with and thats a lot of them!

Ed

Apple's USB SuperDrive works with any late-model Mac. I bought one when I purchased a refurb late-2012 iMac (the newest model that doesn't have a built-in SuperDrive) and it works fine.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

I really appreciate this thread as I'm looking to get a new fancy laptop in the near future. I'm leaning toward a 13" MB Pro (retina) over the 13" MB Air.

I also appreciate this thread because it accidentally started a new discussion about using an iPad for sled dog race-timing instead of hauling out a laptop into a bitter winter environment. I am currently inquiring about RaceSplitter.

I have a really silly question. I used to use my old 2007-vintage 15-inch MacBook Pro as my primary workstation until it died suddenly in March of 2013. I used to do everything under the sun with it: business, personal, volunteer work, you name it. I did desktop publishing work with old-vintage Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign) on it, as well as videography with Final Cut Pro.

I'd like to know how many people here use late-model Apple laptops for business-class computing, such as DTP or video editing. Does anyone here know which of these new-vintage machines can run the latest Final Cut Pro? Now that I have an iMac, it will likely remain my primary workstation for the foreseeable future. My parents will have to choose between the current (and refurb) lineups of MacBook Pros and Retinas. For myself, I'm still wide open. Will I get another laptop for my own mobile computing uses? And if so, will it be an ultra-portable Air or a Pro Retina? I'm still not clear.

On another note, I've been inquiring about Race Splitter and some of the other race-timing iOS apps out there. Some of our races are two-day activities, which makes combining the results from both days in Excel seem tricky. (Race times for each team must be combined for the two-day total result, but we also need to have access to both days immediately after each race. So tabulating these results correctly is going to be a "get it done right the first time" challenge.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0