Thread: Chromebook?

Chromebook?

I currently use a Google Nexus 7 and a bluetooth keyboard in my travels rather than lug a laptop. It does just about everything I need to do.

However, as I'm getting older and the eyesight is not improving, I've been thinking of replacing the above setup with the new Chromebook. (Getting a larger tablet and taking the keyboard gets heavy.)

Does anyone have a Chromebook? Your opinion if you do? What do you find limiting about it? How well does it play videos storage devices? (flash? MP4? avi?)

Thanks.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Frank,

i have a Chromebook and for blogging it covers almost everything I need but on the Video front it is a little anemic.

Thanks Jeff.

I may have to pick one up and try it out. If I don't like it, I can always return it. Considering it's only $279, I can't complain much.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Frank, you might want to hold off for another month. There are a bunch of new Chromebooks coming out. If you're looking for something budget, the new Acer C720 has a Haswell processor (better battery life) and 4GB of RAM, which should take care of the video lag.

Acer C720 Chromebook first impressions: Fast and cheap | ZDNet

I want one in the worst way for my main writing machine. I'm waiting to see what Toshiba comes out with, though, before I decide.

ETA: OMGChrome has some good info.
    Last edited by MaggieScratch; 10-18-2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: add a link

I'm just beginning to look now but probably won't buy until early next year when I'll need it. I as in Staples today and played with one for a few minutes. It's different than what I'm used to but look like just what I need for my travels. And since I don't plan to spend more than $300, I won't cry too much if lost or stolen.

A couple of reviews that may be of interest:
    Acer C720 Chromebook review | The Verge

HP Chromebook 11 review | The Verge

Acer C720 Chromebook review: High on power, low on panache - Computerworld

HP Chromebook 11 review: Affordable style for life in the cloud - Computerworld

It's interesting to compare and contrast. It seems like the CB11 is more stylish, while the C720 runs better. I pick the latter, but YMMV. I think I'm still holding out for the Toshiba, at least to see what they come up with.
    Last edited by MaggieScratch; 10-23-2013 at 02:50 PM. Reason: copied and pasted not wisely but too well

You might be interested in this:

Side-by-Side: HP Chromebook 11 vs. Acer C720 | TIME.com

I'm in no rush to buy one and will probably wait until after the holidays. Who knows what might come out between now and then.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0