Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Frank II
  • 1 Post By Ken
  • 1 Post By Lara

Thread: Blogging from an iPad?

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Blogging from an iPad?

Does anyone have any recommendations/experience with blogging directly from an iPad?

A friend of a friend is leaving for Uganda in a few weeks to spend 6 weeks working at a hospital there, and would like to blog about her experience using the iPad she will be taking. She needs help setting that up before she leaves, but we're not even sure where to start with apps, etc. Something simple and user-friendly would be the priority.

Thanks so much for any advice!
    Aeronaut; Synapse 19; PCBP & other packing cubes; 2 x Little Swifts; Side Effect; 4 Shop Bags; Small Cafe Bag; 3 Travel Trays; 2 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes; Cache ; Guardian Light; 3 x 3D Clear Organizer Cubes; 3 x 3D Organizer Cubes; 3 x small Yarn Stuff Sacks; 8 Clear Organizer Wallets; 6 x Clear Organizer Pouches; Padded Organizer Pouch; Pocket Pouch; #4 Knitting Pouch; Cafe Messenger Stabilizer.

Volunteer Moderator
    Not so sure about apps or whatnot but I can definitely recommend the Apple Wireless Keyboard! Good travels to your friend!

WenV and itsablur like this.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Ken
    The Wordpress app for the iPad is not too bad, but I would still recommend an external keyboard if she plans on typing a lot. Wordpress.com accounts are free, and there is a fair amount of control over the account, but there is a slight learning curve which is not too difficult. I would suggest spending a few minutes looking at the Wrodpress.com site, especially their themes, to get an idea about what they offer. And remember, Wordpress.com and Wordpress.org are not the same. The .com website hosts blogs, the .org website is for self-hosted blogs.

Good luck,

--Ken
    WenV likes this.

There is an app called blogsy that lets you blog to Wordpress or Blogger from an iPad. It is highly advised to set it up before you go and watch the online tutorials.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

I've found Blogger to be very simple to set up and use. I would suggest that your friend choose a blog name, register it with Google, and set it up before she leaves. I would even recommend an initial blog post telling readers about the upcoming trip - this way, any issues that might arise can be solved prior to her departure. Once she reaches her destination, all she will need to worry about (from a blogging perspective anyway) is what content to include.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks very much everyone for the great advice! She has chosen to set up her blog on Blogger, and will use Blogsy to create her posts. She will do a couple of blog posts before she leaves so that she can practice using the app before getting to her destination. Hopefully everything will go pretty smoothly for her.

I knew I was asking the right people - thanks so much again!
    Aeronaut; Synapse 19; PCBP & other packing cubes; 2 x Little Swifts; Side Effect; 4 Shop Bags; Small Cafe Bag; 3 Travel Trays; 2 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes; Cache ; Guardian Light; 3 x 3D Clear Organizer Cubes; 3 x 3D Organizer Cubes; 3 x small Yarn Stuff Sacks; 8 Clear Organizer Wallets; 6 x Clear Organizer Pouches; Padded Organizer Pouch; Pocket Pouch; #4 Knitting Pouch; Cafe Messenger Stabilizer.

I would like to add -- for anyone who might be reading this thread who wants to blog using Wordpress:
    There is a free app which, despite the bad reviews, seems fine. I just tried it. It's just called 'WordPress'.
    I considered downloading blogsy but decided to stick with this one, since it is free.

I use the iPad app for Wordpress for most of what I do on my blog, but if things get complicated you can just access your blog from a web portal via Safari or Chrome from the iPad.

You have to use the iPad app to upload pics to your blog, but I tend to finish things with the browser version to use the proofreader and other polish functions.

I also use the Wordpress app and Chrome browser for my website.

The only thing I haven't figured out how to do on my Nexus 7 is to copy/paste photos from other websites into my Wordpress blog. I can upload photos from an SD card or flash drive but not copy/paste from the web.

Unless someone knows something I don't!!!!
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

I use the Blog Touch app for my Blogger account. I like its easy interface. Not certain what's available for Word Press.

I recently stumbled across an e-book, and website, called #ipadonly. The e-book is $9.99 at amazon, however the blog along with the videos are free at Post-PC era begins: how we use only our iPads to work, play and do everything in between - the #iPadOnly book Blog. They do have a lot of advice in terms of apps and workflows that could help.
    It definitely convinced me that I could go #tabletonly, or at least #tabletmostly for a lot of my work.

Good luck!!
    -n

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0