Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Frank II

Thread: Back up power source for iPad Mini

Back up power source for iPad Mini

Any recommendations for a back up power source for iPad Mini? I will be going to Australia from Western Canada, so 4 long flights and I rely on the mini for movies, music and reading.

Whisper, have you checked if your aircraft has in-seat power?

Quote Originally Posted by snowbot View Post
    Whisper, have you checked if your aircraft has in-seat power?
    Good point Snowbot.

Great resource for that stuff here:

Airline Seat Maps, Flights shopping and Flight information- Best Airplane Seats - SeatGuru

Thanks you two! The Hyper looks perfect and I will also check with airline (Cathay Pacific).

I would like one anyway for camping etc.

For a pack with built-in battery, this guide from the Wirecutter seems pretty good:
    The Best USB battery pack for travel | The Wirecutter

Their pick provides 10,000 mah for $58, almost exactly half price of the Hyper with similar capacity.

I have this charger which uses AA batteries:
    Amazon.com: Tekkeon MP1580 TEKCHARGE Mobile Power Pack and Battery Charger: MP3 Players & Accessories

Admittedly, it is less environmentally friendly, but it offers some major advantages:
    1. Cheap upfront cost (long-term cost depends on use)
    2. Travel light - buy AA batteries (and add weight) only when you need them; shed weight as you use them up
    3. Never requires an outlet/charge time
    4. Infinite power supply, assuming you can buy more batteries where you are traveling

Consider the Mophie Powerstation - enough for a couple of recharges of the ipad mini or smartphones or other devices - all via usb. Prices vary depending on the size of the juicepack starting at 59.95 and up on the website (might find it cheaper elsewhere). It is plug-in rechargeable. While up front cost may be a bit more, there are no additional expenses for batteries. It is about the size of a smaller smartphone and about the same weight.

Here's another option that's popular with the Ingress set (nerdy Google location-based game). Anker makes several different models depending on what type of capacity you want. Pretty reasonably priced even on Amazon.ca.

http://www.amazon.ca/10000mAh-Extern...keywords=anker
    http://www.amazon.ca/Anker-13000mAh-...keywords=anker
    http://www.amazon.ca/Anker-20000mAh-...keywords=anker

With whatever make/model you buy, make sure that it can actually output enough amperage for your device to charge. Not familiar with the iPad mini, but for the bigger iPads and other tablets, 1000 mA (1A) is not enough, and they actually need 2000 or 2100 mA.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Again thank you for all these suggestions! I will do some serious shop . . I mean - research.

I own that first Anker two posts above (3E) and love it. Smallish, a little larger than an iPhone, but enough juice for my needs.
    --------------------------------

I just received an ibattz Battstation Tough Dual Pro 8400 mAh Battery Pack (Dual USB Output) to review on my website.

It's a dual charge power supply that comes with its own silicone protective sleeve to help prevent damage. It can charge two devices at once including a higher charge for tablets. It also has a built in flashlight. Not bad for just under $49.

Amazon.com: ibattz Battstation Tough Dual Pro 8400 mAh Battery Pack (Dual USB Output) for iPhone 5, Smart Phones, iPad and Android Tablets, PSP, NDS / NDSL, GoPro: iPhone 5, all iPhone, iPad, iPod; HTC Sensation, EVO, One X; Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsun
    Last edited by Frank II; 09-05-2013 at 04:57 PM.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

I am confused, besides the device that jeffmac recommended, I don't see how the others plug into an outlet.

I am interested a rechargeable battery backup for idevices and also compatible with Droid stuff.

Lightweight and ease of use is a must!

Most use a USB connection to recharge. You can either plug it into your computer or into a USB wall plug.

As an example, the Ibattz I mentioned comes with a USB/microUSB cord. The micro end plugs into the Ibattz and the USB end plugs in to either the computer or a wall charger like this one:

Amazon.com: Lenmar ACUSB4 AC Travel Adapter for up to 4 USB Powered Devices-Black: Computers & Accessories

A long as your Android devices are charged via USB, all of these chargers will work.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Again thank you for all these suggestions! I will do some serious shop . . I mean - research.
    Whisper, did you make a decision about a purchase? I'm wondering if you're satisfied with your decision, no matter what it was. I have the same decision to make by January as going to Ecuador and Amazonia region. Long plane ride and although a layover in Houston, the outlets on many of the recharge stations are all shot and plugs fall out so it's a crap shoot if your device actually gets charged...unless they've done something about this in the last year.....
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0