Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Miking
  • 1 Post By KBJ
  • 1 Post By drobinson
  • 1 Post By Flinx

Thread: Seeking quality grooming men's kits/accessories

Seeking quality grooming men's kits/accessories

Got a question: where is the best place to shop for quality grooming kits and accessories... like those for trimming facial hair, especially nose hair? (You know, a "guy thing")

This doesn't absolutely have to be USA-made, but it would be nice. The paramount issue is high quality, thoughful design and durability.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

I'm a big fan of Fendrihan for all my grooming needs! Free shipping to the USA for orders over $75 It's just a shame I can't bring my double edge razor anywhere in my carryon without stalling the whole security checkpoint while they look for the blades.
    Last edited by Miking; 08-27-2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Spelling
    MtnMan and Chiro75 like this.

KBJ
    Not sure about scissors, but for razors, check out Harry's: Harry's - Great Shave. Fair Price. Simple.

I've bought the Truman starter kit 3 months ago, and I love it. Still on my first set of supplies too.
    MtnMan likes this.

About the Harry's shaving goodies... I have a question:

I currently use a cheap aftermarket imitation of the Gilette Fusion 5-blade razor.

How do the Harry's razors compare in terms of a quality shave, and how do the cost of the replacement blade cartridges compare? Wal Mart asks a pretty steep price for replacement blades for the Fusion. Even the cheap aftermarket imitation from Dollar Tree (or whatever it's called) is steep.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

I've been using Harry's for a couple of months now and have found them to be excellent. It always torqued me when I had to change blades so often with my standard Gillette blades, Harry's have been wonderfully long lasting. Super close shave no nicks!

I also really like their unscented shaving cream. A very small amount does the trick.

Give it a try, you won't regret it.
    MtnMan likes this.

There's a store I've seen at a mall in Buffalo, NY called Art of Shaving. I think it's a chain. I've never been in there, but it looks expensive from the outside. Maybe google the name and read reviews of the brand? I like the snazzy name. It looks like a place where "the most interesting man in the world" would buy his shaving stuff.

I've used West Coast Shaving for most of my quality grooming purchases thus far, and they've been great. Besides tons of shaving stuff, they also carry a good selection of grooming products for nose hair and facial hair.
    I would recommend buying several good quality items separately and picking up a good quality travel bag to put them in *cough*Kit*cough*.

On another note, about 3 months ago I gave up Mach3 cartridges and started wet-shaving (i.e. whipping my own lather in a cup and using a safety razor) and won't be looking back.
    The blades I like are inexpensive compared to cartridges (about 45 cents each), the razor itself was a one-time purchase, the puck of soap I use for lather is going to last several more months, the inexpensive brush I picked up works great, and I've been using an old coffee mug I got at Value Village for lather. It does take a few minutes longer, but the shave I get is superior to a cartridge, and the razor burn I used to sport at the base of my throat is pretty much gone.

Good luck with your search, and let us now what you find!
    Chiro75 likes this.
    Ted

SuperEgo in black/steel/wasabi; Aeronaut in cardinal/steel; Horizontal Cache (2M) in charcoal; Travel Tray in Ultraviolet

Art of Shaving is overpriced. West Coast Shaving +1. I converted from the Fusion/Mach razors to the old-school safety razor (I use a 1950's Gillette every day) years ago and it was THE BEST thing I ever did. I have a cheap badger brush and I use a big cappuccino mug with a cake of Van den Hagen or whatever inexpensive brand of shaving soap that is from Wal Greens with a squirt of Kiss My Face shaving cream on it. Comes to a crazy nice lather. I haven't had razor burn, a nick, or an ingrown hair in years. It's simply the way to go and it doesn't take more than a couple minutes to shave with this setup. Worth the slight addition of time.

And, for those really interested in this topic, become members of the Badger and Blade forum and your life will change forever! LOL

Second the safety razor... I recently moved to a Merkur Futur razor and though it takes me a few minutes more each morning, and there WAS a bit of a learning curve (a few scuffs around my larynx for a week or so) I can't believe how much better the shave is. I use eShave White Tea shaving cream and after-shave cream. VERY nice. Instead of pre-shave oil I use Geo F Trumper Extract of Limes skin food... very nice. For travel I still use my fusion as double-edged blades are verboten on aircraft and I don't want to have to buy them everywhere I go. Agreed with West Coast Shaving as a source of all things grooming.

One tip... if you're going to do a wet shave, don't skimp on the shaving brush! I got a really nice "Best Badger" brush from Trumper last time I was in London, and it is really wonderful.

PS... another source for inexpensive cartridge-type razors is dollarshaveclub.com. Even if you don't get their product, you should go to the website and play the videos. Hilarious.
    Last edited by Yonkdaddy; 10-18-2013 at 12:46 PM.
    YonkDaddy!
    Black/Iberian Aeronaut, Steel/Wasabi Synapse25, Black/UV Synapse19, Black/Steel Western Flyer, Black Checkpoint Flyer, Steel/Wasabi Side Effect, Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, Travel Tray, numerous packing cubes, organizer pouches

Glad I stumbled into this thread... I joined the Dollar Shave Club a while back and, while the price is right, I recently canceled with them to go back to my Fusion blades. Their blades were oversized and way too big for detail work under your nose, at your sideburns, and under your lip. And certainly nothing special, although I did like the "Shave Butter."

I travel frequently so probably not going to go with a safety razor any time soon, but I may give Harry's a look.
    Active Duty: Synapse 25 (Black/Wasabi) & Western Flyer (Black/Wasabi) for me & Imago (Cardinal/Hemp/Steel) for my wife
    Reserves: Cadet 13/15 (Black/Wasabi), ID (Black/Steel/Wasabi), Ristretto for 11" MBAir (Black/Steel), Medium Cafe Bag (Olive/Wasabi)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0