Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: What are you drinking?

What are you drinking?

This is sort of like the "what are you reading?" question, except less boring but with the same possibility of becoming crazily pretentious. I'm hoping we can amass some excellent beer, wine, and spirit recommendations, along with cocktail recipes and links to your favorite bars—basically so I have somewhere to drink when I find myself in your fair city.

I'll kick things off with a gin cocktail recipe designed as a coping mechanism for the hellacious Midwestern heat and humidity that's been assaulting us lately.

Cucumber-Aperol Smash*
    makes 1 drink**

2 slices hothouse/English cucumber
    1 slice of lime
    .5-.75 oz simple syrup or to taste
    7-8 mint leaves
    1.5 generous oz. gin (Hendricks would make sense because of the cucumber; otherwise, use London Dry style)
    .5 generous oz. Aperol
    tonic water (not diet for the love of all that is holy)***
    lime slice, cucumber slice, and mint sprig to garnish

In a cocktail shaker, muddle the cucumber, lime, mint, and simple. Really mush the hell out of them and be sure to extract the essential oil from the lime rind. Pour in the spirits and fill the shaker with ice. Shake until really cold and then strain into a Collins glass filled with chipped ice. Fill up the rest of the glass with tonic water and arrange the garnishes artfully. Drink and repeat process as needed.

* Okay. Technically a smash contains no cucumber, lime, or fizz of any sort, and is typically made with whiskey or bourbon. But I love Aperol and I love to smash things, so it seemed an appropriate name.

** You can scale up the drink quite easily by muddling larger quantities of the aromatics, gin, and Aperol, straining them, and chilling thoroughly in the fridge. At cocktail time, divide the spirit mixture equally among however many glasses and proceed with tonic and garnishes.

*** Fentiman's and Fever Tree are the best commercial tonic waters I have had. Q tonic is okay but I find that the agave they use in it can sometimes screw around with the botanical flavors in the gin.

Lately, I have been reaching for the Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA. The 90 minute is definitely my favorite, but the 60 minute is more accessible and widely available.

I have also recently drank "The Perfect Crime" which is a black, smoked saison and that was really delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by fdiaz64 View Post
    Lately, I have been reaching for the Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA. The 90 minute is definitely my favorite, but the 60 minute is more accessible and widely available.

I have also recently drank "The Perfect Crime" which is a black, smoked saison and that was really delicious.
    I have no idea what you are talking about .... damn there goes my weekend down the google drain .....

We have recently been enjoying a bottle of Woodford Reserve bourbon.

I have a wonderful memory of a gin bar in Madrid ....
    List under construction ....

When I was in Chicago last week, at a bar in a theater lobby, I requested Effen cucumber vodka with tonic water, as a kind of experiment. I liked it so much I ordered it a couple more times, whenever I was at that theater to see a show. Absolut Grapefruit and tonic water is also quite tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by fdiaz64 View Post
    I'm definitely on the hunt for The Perfect Crime. I was lucky to find Evil Twin Even More Jesus on tap in Iowa City of all places. If I ever see Evil Twin, Stillwater, or Mikkeller on a beer list, I'm suckered in and cannot resist. For some reason, I don't think it's possible to get Dogfish Head in Wisconsin any more, so I'm saving my pennies for a mega gin-and-beer run to Binny's Beverage Depot.

If you like saisons of the un-smoked variety, Hinterland Brewing has a really nice farmhouse ale that's worth searching out. They just released their Maple Bock, which I'm thinking would be a terrific accompaniment to bacon-and-apple-butter pancakes on a crisp fall evening.

Just at the moment, white port and Fever Tree tonic. (Got the tonic for a song at Grocery Outlet a few weeks ago, and we've been drinking tonic drinks ever since...)

Beer-wise, it's been a Fuller's London Pride and Ruddles County summer for us. A British husband means British beer, when we aren't homebrewing. Remind me to get back to that one of these days...

Tea lately has been Chinese green tea and Japanese gen mai sha tea--we're so lucky in Seattle to have excellent Asian groceries around. I'm late to the 'tea party' but am getting to appreciate green teas (which I used to think tasted like medicine).
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Right now (post meatloaf-on-the-Big-Green-Egg dinner), a Phillips Cascadian Brown Ale. Pleasantly hoppy, with a nice malty finish.

Next is likely going to be the Cannery Brewing IPA.

Alcoholic: Gibson's Finest Canadian whiskey. Smokey caramel goodness with hints of rye spice and short, sweet butterscotchy finish. See, I could write the flyers for the local wine and spirits store!
    Non-alcoholic: Coke Zero. All the taste of coca-cola classic but with zero calories, which by the way is the wrong response to give a police officer when asked "what's in the bottle?"

Water, sadly. I'm trying to rehydrate after my last trip.

Treveri Sparkling rose - it's my birthday.
    snowbot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bunchgrass View Post
    Treveri Sparkling rose - it's my birthday.
    Happy birthday! Pink bubbles are always very festive.

@ snowbot, what you suffer today will aid you tomorrow. Or something.

Dalmore Single Malt for an all around Scotch.

For beer, Bell's Smitten goes down easily in this heat.

Mostly water these days.

For alcohol, cider has become my libation of choice, and this has become my favorite.

For the hard stuff, I'm a scotch guy, so Macallans 18 year and Dalwhinnie are my go to sipping favs.
    I'm not averse to a good bourbon though either, and the last bottle of Blantons I enjoyed was, well, enjoyable!
    Ted

SuperEgo in black/steel/wasabi; Aeronaut in cardinal/steel; Horizontal Cache (2M) in charcoal; Travel Tray in Ultraviolet

Gin & Tonic at the Silverkirs lounge, Incheon Airport. It'd probably taste better were I not so grumpy - departure is at 00:20 and I need sleep!

Picked up some New Glarus Spotted Cow earlier this week at Whole Foods—a little "welcome home!" six pack.

Also got a 12-pack of Amstel Light on sale, which is more like a "don't drink your weight in beer" reminder.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0