Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: What are you drinking?

flitcraft and Badger, I can't complain about having to go to a conference in Vienna. The conference room had marble walls and crystal chandeliers. Sadly, there was no ballgown in my closet so I felt underdressed.

I hunted down a glass of Blaufränkisch and it was good. I had been going by the "stick with white wine in Austria" rule, but I'm happy I made the exception. I also had a nice microbrewed Dunkles and a taste of a good Herbstbock at Siebensternbräu.

I recently got to try Mikkeler Beer Geek Vanilla Shake, which is a really nice coffee stout infused with vanilla beans. At 13% (and $15 for a 12-oz bottle) it certainly isn't an everyday thing, but it was such a treat.

Tonight, with the pre-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving dinner, a Lambrusco bianco, which is light and very nice with holiday flavors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMHO, hard to beat Macallan 12 neat.

My favorite at home cocktail is Richard Pastis--about an ounce mixed with 7 ounces Gerolsteiner sparkling water.

For tea I really like the Yogi Blueberry slimlife green tea (it really does taste much better than it sounds) and I like to try whatever new teakanne ones I find at the grocery stores in Germany.

For coffee, I really like nespresso. Particularly the Arpeggio blend. It never makes a bad cup and the pods are recycled in Germany so I don't feel *too* bad about using them.

Ricard is delicious. I'm a fan of all the anisette liqueurs; if you're ever in Italy and have a chance to snap up the tasty and cheap-cheap-cheap Meletti, do it. You just keep the bottle in the fridge or freezer and it's very nice after dinner, neat, in a little glass.

I am pleased to report two things to my Midwestern brethren: first, Bridgeport Brewing (Portland, OR) is now distributing out here, and their IPA is a thing of beauty. Second, you can now get Crater Lake gin, at least at Binny's. It's 20 bucks for a 375 ml bottle, light straw-colored, and, while not especially dry, is full of nice botanicals that make it work super well with ice-cold tonic. Perfect for the balmy weather we have been having lately, right?

I was fortunate enough to have gotten a Stone IPA that was labeled enjoy by 11-12-13 which I did and boy was it delicious. From what I understand there is a new one floating around labeled enjoy by 2-14-14. I am on the hunt for that one. In the meantime I did get to enjoy some Sixpoint Global Warmer which was very good.

I'm sure I'll hear some groans, but I love Laphroaig Islay Single Malt Scotch (cask strength).

jmoz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by blarson94 View Post
    I'm sure I'll hear some groans, but I love Laphroaig Islay Single Malt Scotch (cask strength).
    You'll hear none from me, although I have to be in the right mood for an Islay whisky, especially the really oily ones like Lagavulin. My favorite distillery is Bruichladdich, which, in addition to their very accessible line of whiskys, makes a great gin called the Botanist, whose botanicals are all harvested in the local area.

jmoz likes this.

I just realized I typed "Scotch" without the "Whisky!!!" I need another drink, apparently!

And +1 on the Lagavulin!

I'm a big fan of the Laphroaig. In order of preference (of the ones I've had): 15 year, 18 year, cask strength (but with a bit of water), 10 year, quarter cask. I'm not as big on Lagavulin, though it's quite alright. I've only had the 15 once (it's quite rare I gather), and the 18 year was a holiday gift to myself when I found it for ONLY $90. The cask strength is a bit much unless one adds water, and the quarter cask was a bit sweeter/mellower than I like.

They had the 25 year at Costco before Christmas, but I couldn't justify (or even remotely afford!) $400ish for a bottle of whisky.

The couple of you that mentioned Ricard have me grinning ear to ear! When I was in France I found a simple cocktail that quickly became one of my favorite drinks, the Mauresque. It's 2 oz. of Ricard (or other pastis) and 1 oz. of orgeat syrup (in the States I usually have to get by with almond syrup which is serviceable) and then diluted with chilled water to taste.

I also like a good Sazerac. I believe that the classic recipe is 1 cube sugar, 1.5 oz. Sazerac (or your favorite) rye whiskey, 0.25 oz. Herbsaint, a few dashes of bitters and twist of lemon peel.

But, my favorite drink right now is probably a Maple Old Fashioned. 2 oz. bourbon, 0.5 oz. maple syrup, a few dashes of bitters and a twist of lemon or orange peel. I like how this drink takes on different identity based on the bourbon that you use and whether you garnish with lemon or orange. The maple syrup vs a 'regular' old fashioned with simple syrup really adds an extra characteristic to this classic.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0