Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: What are you drinking?

Earl Grey with Lavender Blossoms. Best tea ever.

In the alcohol area, my tastes are fairly wide...

Chimay Blue ale; Crabbie's alcoholic ginger beer; Hoegaarden; various wines - ranging from Shiraz through Pinotage, all the way through to NZ Sauvignons, Reislings... and I particularly enjoy a glass of Quady's 'Elysium' Black Muscat with some creamy blue cheese and crackers; also a big port drinker - Niepoort vintage when I can get hold of it, or Taylors vintage/LBV. Scotch - Aberlour (A'bunadh is delicious), Laphroaig (preferably the 15 year old or older), Glenmorangie (Quinta Ruban or the amazing Astar). Remy Martin VSOP cognac... I haven't dared try the XO for fear I might enjoy it!

Nonalcoholic, I'm a huge tea drinker. Nothing particularly rare or unusual, but I do enjoy a good quality loose leaf Ceylon, African or Assam tea - brewed properly, and with a splash of milk. Taylors of Harrogate do a nice range - their Ntingwe Kwazulu tea is particularly nice, as is their Tea Room blend. I almost completely gave up coffee about 5 years ago - I think my last coffee was more than six months ago, a large multi-shot caffe latte at a cafe called Boston Tea Party in Bristol.

Then there's water, and as a keen Bikram (hot) yogi I regularly guzzle industrial quantities of coconut water to rehydrate.
    A45 crimson/steel; TS navy/solar; S19 nordic/steel; P nordic/solar; CP black/steel; SE wasabi; CQPC iberian, solar; Ri aubergine/steel; 3DCC cardinal; TSS4 wasabi; K cardinal; TT solar,nordic,black; CC cardinal/steel; PCBP solar; PP navy; + packing cubes galore!

At the moment, I'm drinking Urban Detox, what I assume to be Whole Foods' stocked equivalent of Monster Rehab (of which, I've noticed, many of my students tend to drink during Friday's session). The flavor reminds me of cough syrup (probably the cherry half of the "cherry pomegranate" flavor label), which isn't altogether so bad, as it's a reminder of the amaretto that frequently sends me down the path of "detoxification" in the first place.

At this moment, Im drinking Longboard Island Lager from Kona Brewing Company on my balcony at the Sheraton Maui.

Not trying to brag, but just enjoying this fiercely peaceful moment.
    Darcy likes this.

Bourbon Old Fashioned - last night at the Megan Washington gig at The Vanguard.

With my best boy and my Aubergine side effect ....
    List under construction ....

Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post
    Bourbon Old Fashioned
    I just had a very nice bourbon Old Fashioned on Friday at Boone and Crockett. They had kegged some late-summer cocktails, and the best thing about that outing was the giant spherical ice cube that came in a gin Martinez (with Aviation gin, if anyone is curious).

Last night was the wondrous tiki bar The Foundation, where they take Mai Tais and Singapore Slings and other early 20th-century tropical cocktails very seriously. They measure precisely and some of the drinks come in take-home ceramic cups.

It's rainy and cool this morning and it's going to take all my willpower not to order a Bloody Mary with brunch (why? because I did that yesterday . . . ).
    Last edited by Badger; 09-15-2013 at 08:49 AM.

I was in Portland, ME last week and drank my fill of Geary's Autumn Ale (excellent) and had my first ever Moxie soda. I wanted that to be weirder.
    Portland is beautiful!

Wildnight (honey cream ale) from Swamphead Brewery in Gainesville.
    Also like every variety of wine I've tried from San Sebastion in St. Augustine
    Indigo/Solar Tri-Star, Indigo/Solar Synapse, Black/Steel, 13" Ristretto, Black/Wasabi iPad Ristretto, Forest/UV Smart Alec

I am currently in Vienna so it's been coffee in the morning and grüner veltliner in the evening. I have no complaints.

Ooh, snowbot, that sounds lovely. Have you tried Blaufrankisch?--the only Austrian red I can think of offhand. It tastes of plums and a bit of sweet spice. Over in Washington state, a few growers plant it--but they call it lemberger. Unfortunately, either name is kind of a hard sell, so most of the vines have here have been torn up and replaced with chardonnay or merlot or other varietals that are better known by consumers. Too bad, since we are losing the unusual varietals that way. But if you have the chance, you might try it.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

@ snowbot. I've noticed this curious trend. You go to wonderful places like Vienna, and I go to places like Skokie.

Knock back a pastry with that coffee for me ;)

Right now, an espresso accompanying an applesauce muffin.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

After watching this video I think I need a mint julep....

(New Orleans' Best Cocktails: The Mint Julep)
    List under construction ....

Another quintessentially NOLA drink is the Brandy (or Bourbon) Milk Punch. I was lucky enough to be at a conference there over Easter weekend a few years ago and I can still remember an epic brunch with colleagues that included several of these puppies. They taste super indulgent, sort of like a less-cloying eggnog. It's just 2 oz. brandy shaken with 1 cup of whole milk and powdered sugar to taste (start with one tsp); serve over cracked ice with a fresh grating of nutmeg on top. Follow that up with some eggs and biscuits and brown sugar baked bacon, and holy cow. You're doing nothing for the rest of the day.

Volunteer Moderator
    Favorite alcohol is hard apple cider: Angry Orchard's Crisp Apple is tops.

Favorite places: JJ Dolan's in downtown Honolulu, or Murphy's Bar & Grill one street over and two blocks down toward the ocean.
    http://www.jjdolans.com/
    http://murphyshawaii.com/

Definitely want to try out Brew'd Craft Pub, which will be opening up late next month (October 2013) in Kaimuki: 3441 Waialae Ave. No website yet.

Favorite bourbon: Booker's small batch.

Favorite mixed: Jack & Coke (Zero if available).

Favorite tea: Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf's Pomegranate Blueberry (or was it the other way around?) Tea Latte, or anything Asian (whatever they serve in the restaurants is usually fine).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0