Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jeffmac

Thread: Google Chromecast

Google Chromecast

So...I bought one of the early units. I have mixed feelings, but there seems to be tons of upside.

Anyone else grab one on day one?

I'm still debating. I have a Roku, so I'm not entirely sure what it would get me other than being able to watch regular Hulu via a browser tab (why Hulu Plus doesn't have the regular Hulu stuff too is beyond me, so I refuse to pay for it). We don't have cable, so it's whatever Netflix and Amazon Prime Instant Video has available. Being able to browse for the next show without having to stop what you're watching is nice though. Please let us know what you think once you get it!

I actually already posted a review on my blog, but here is the short answer.

Pushing the computer to the TV display works well as long as your are comfy with the delay (a little more than one second).

Stuff that is supported by the Chromecast looks way better, but that list is really short right now.

I have a Roku and an Apple TV and if Google rolls out a couple of more supported apps (at least Hulu and Amazon prime) than I think its screen casting pushes it ahead of both of those platforms as a value proposition.

@jeffmac: by delay (1 sec), do you mean broadcast delay or studdering in the broadcast when doing the push to computer from the browser? I'm guessing you mean the former, but just checking. If using a laptop, do you need to keep it open or will broadcasting continue to work if you close the laptop? (all we have are laptops and my tablet). Thinking about it, I wonder if anyone on XDA is messing with it yet to add additional functionality... may have to go check that out =)

I do mean the former. I should have said latency.

You can't close the laptop,but you can switch to a different tab in Chrome and work on something else...

ah, thank you very much!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0