Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Is it Possible to Consume a few TB Products w/o Being an Addict?

Is it Possible to Consume a few TB Products w/o Being an Addict?

So I just ordered a TB Synapse backpack for myself, wife, and young daughter for travel and a few accessories. It will be our first TB products. I decided to go with TB over Red Oxx and Patagonia because of the styles, USA made, and the accessories seem to be well thought out.

My question is...is this a slippery slope? Should I just sign up for some sort of automatic direct deposit to TB for future purchases? I'm finding myself already plotting more accessories and eyeing other bags. Is it possible to just be content with a backpack and a few accessories? Its crazy how I haven't even seen anything TB in person and am already excited about the new organized and simple travel philosophy. Our friend, who is a flight attendant, just laughs at how I find it recreational to dig up ideas on making making travel less hectic, stressful, and more enjoyable. My wife thinks its entertaining as well.
    nsh and itsablur like this.

No, it's not possible. Since March I've purchased all the stuff listed below. Plan your intervention now or you're in for the long haul. And Lord help you if there's a special limited run like the 4th of July pouch because you'll find a reason to place "just one more order". I have a shipment coming Thursday; how many times can I check UPS even though I know it's coming Thursday? If only they had a punch card for buy 10, get 1 free.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

martel,

Just go ahead and say it now with me "My name is (insert name) and I am a TB addict"

Luckily, they are good for you!

The easy answer, nope, sorry... Just set up the savings account now. It will cut into the college fund but kids can get another job.

Also there is no pill for TBAS. Rest and warm compresses help but otherwise you've just gotta tough it out. Checking the forums hourly helps too.

Moose.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Martel, we know your situation.... we have all been there. It is a bit worse in the beginning... hours and hours browsing the website and reading the forum posts. Then the first order is placed, which (you have found) immediately opens up the Pandora's Box of multiple orders, often placed before the other orders have been received. Then comes the deepening relationship with your UPS person. You rush home eager to see if you have a package, or if you are home, you gaze out the window multiple times a day while you obsessively track the package on your computer. Some of us even know our UPS people by name! Then you start to accumulate boxes (especially if you get Box Art), and depending on the awareness/approval level of family members, you find a way to deal with the evidence of your growing addiction. You will start planning your dream trip to the Tom Bihn Factory in Seattle. You will find yourself looking at all the bags at the airport, searching for that one kindred soul amongst thousands who might also be carrying Tom Bihn bags. And you will become aware of all the areas in your life where a Pocket Pouch, or a Travel Tray, or a Keystrap would make things more efficient and organized, more colorful, or just bring a smile to your face. Then you can start enlightening the unreached masses of people in your life... they too, could benefit from Dyneema and Ballistic Nylon. Those you really like will start getting Tom Bihn items as gifts from you. And it just goes on and on. It is a happy place to be... I'm not sure any of us really want to be cured. So welcome to the forums, Martel! We are glad you are here!
    backpack and SKIMT like this.
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

I love this. You could have written this about me...only I didn't read enough forums BEFORE I started my ordering frenzy. I am very much discreetly tucking away my TB arrivqls so my family won't think I've completely lost my mind.....and spending lots of hours STILL reading forums and thinking about how TB can help me better organize my life....geeeeesshhh.

Oh, and another thought....traveling well, efficiently and pleasurably is an art. The more you do it, the better you get at it. For me it's as much fun as the trip itself, particularly when there are gear and clothing conundrums to solve. ENJOY! You have found your people!

I just have to agree with gochicken, except for one little detail, it doesn't get any better once you have been a customer for many years.

Tom has a name for that, one becomes a shareholder, it entails not only being a Tom Bihn fan girl/boy, a la Apple, but it also mean endless plotting of new orders.

Strategy is needed because most of us don't have an unlimited budget, so if one wants a vacation bag, the acquisition need to be planned many months in advance,

Not only because one needs the funds but also needs to choose the right bag and accessories, bag could be plural if a family is involved.

If one has pretty much every Tom Bihn Bag which is suitable for one's carrying style, a new order can only be justified by a new size or a new design or a new color.

There -are- loopholes which enable one to break the new item rule.

Let me explain:
    Right in front of me I have a Sapphire Brain Bag, next to my file drawer where a Medium Pouch, a Field Journal Notebook, Travel Stuff Sack in 3 sizes, a Travel Tray, a large Pouch and another Medium Pouch sit.

On a shelf, there is a Clear Quarter Packing Cube and a Yarn Stuff Sack with my travel needlework, another shelf holds a Yarn Stuff Sack with office supplies which always stay at home (the Yarn Stuff Sack is vintage, it has a yarn closure that is no longer produced)

In addition to the Brain Bag, all my Sapphire items are now, in a vintage color, so they are moved from everyday/travel use to use in the house.

I live in a disaster prone area so the Sapphire items are important paperwork holders to bring in case of evacuation.

That was lesson one: How to retire from travel a gorgeous bag which look like new and doesn't need to be replaced? Use the vintage color loophole.

But since one still travels, what to do?

Well... the Crew has just came up with a brand new fabric, for example Travel Dyneema, and the airline you have chosen happen to have a drastic weight requirement (drastic for an American traveller)

So you order a full set of Travel Dyneema bags as part of the "travel expense budget".

During the trip, you sing the James Brown: "Papa got a brand new bag" and you add the dance steps, to show how lightweight the bags are.

(Note: refrain from doing this at any checkpoints or in front of judgemental family members.)

After the trip the Crew comes up with yet another innovation, the Synapse 25, to which you give the cold shoulder because why on earth would you want to change the perfection that is the Synapse 19?

But, now than more and more forum people have one, Tom has designed new and really really cool pockets/accessories for it, you have trouble fitting all your electronic and analogue things in the Synapse 19, you wonder, then, put it on your wishlist.

See what I mean?

Furthermore, Tom and the Crew are planning brand new designs and I have been thinking about a second visit to the store/showroom.
    Last edited by backpack; 07-23-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Too true! I just joined today and my order has not arrived yet but I am already looking for reasons to justify more purchases!

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I just have to agree with gochicken, except for one little detail, it doesn't get any better once you have been a customer for many years.
    Have to agree completely. It was much worse for me when the Tom Bihn store was that little place near Pioneer Square -- waaaaaay too conveniently located (though really them moving further and further away from downtown hasn't stopped me from accumulating a pretty silly amount of Tom Bihn stuff, it just means that I plan purchases more carefully).

LOL... the color retirement thing makes total sense to me, as it's pretty much how I ended up with six Cafe Bags ("I have the old pink ones, but now they have a NEW pink color and I NEED them in the NEW PINK COLOR")...

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    it doesn't get any better once you have been a customer for many years.

Did I say it got better? I stand corrected! I guess I implied it when I said it is "a bit worse at the beginning". I have to agree.... overall, it does NOT get better. It morphs, as backpack so carefully explained. But once you have been over the website about 15 times, you get to know the bags and their names and features and colors available, and once you purchase them, you don't need to keep looking except to watch for new colors and features when announced (or hinted at) on the blog. BUT your attention turns to anticipating the new items and figuring out new ways to "need" more TB stuff, as backpack said.

And the disease also never runs its course especially if you are a forum member (or like me, you are on two TB forums.... here and also Ravelry, the knitting site). Everyone is an enabler and seeing pictures and posts of others using their TB stuff helps you to identify the holes in your TB collection that need to be filled. Getting compliments on your bags helps keep the fever alive (today it was my shop bags at the grocery store).

When new items are introduced, the thoughts in my head are not the reasonable, "Do I need that?" but, "How will I use this wonderful new TB item?" for it seems that Tom knows what I need and produces the items before I know I need them.
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

This garnered far more response than I thought but the answers were just what I thought. At least it fits with my obsession for not wasting money on junk, and supporting companies who put out cool stuff. I'm more than happy to spend and can tell there will be no shortage of help justifying it.

You will quickly come to realize you must never, ever hesitate when contemplating a TB purchase. That item that you've been coveting will undoubtedly go on backorder, or sell out in your target color as you think up ways to rationalize yet another order or how to match it to your growing collection. This is by far the worst part of the addiction.

Welcome to the club.

Oh martel. It is a slippery slope indeed. I thought I was being all clever, acquiring my "major bags" either through ebay and/or secondhand. In that sense, I was able to tip my toe into the more expensive TB fruits while saving some money ... which I then promptly spent on accessories directly from TB shortly afterwards. A LOT of accessories, almost all of which have been put to good use immediately upon arrival. Having a partner that is a big supporter/user of TB products is further enabling. We're going on a trip together in a couple of weeks, and when the RWB Pocket Pouch offer was announced, suddenly I was buying an additional Travel Tray, another 3-D Clear Organizer cube, another Small Shop Bag, more keystraps, etc. (conveniently scratching my curiosity itch to acquire some Solar items at the same time!). Sometimes you don't know how you'll use an accessory until you improvise out of need, and BAM!, you now need two more of the same accessory to keep your new system efficiently organized. I try to keep myself restrained. It helps that I have made the messenger bags off-limits, because backpacks are healthier for my shoulders and back. Do not taunt me, Cafe Bags!

I can attest that the Small Cafe Bag, especially in Dyneema, weigh next to nothing and is very lightweight in Cordura if accessorised with Dyneema items.

But, to quote Levar Burton in the Reading Rainbow: "you don't have to take -my- word for it"

Ms. Ferret:
    "LOL... the color retirement thing makes total sense to me, as it's pretty much how I ended up with six Cafe Bags ("I have the old pink ones, but now they have a NEW pink color and I NEED them in the NEW PINK COLOR")..."

martel:
    "At least it fits with my obsession for not wasting money on junk, and supporting companies who put out cool stuff."

I agree with martel, it always feel good to add one more item to the order, because you know that it has been lovingly designed, crafted, quality controlled, order taken and shipped by wonderful people who make a decent living wage and get health insurance.

Tom is not one those CEO, whose IQ and EQ are inversely proportional to their wallet and account expenses' heft. He is right there showing and sharing his passion for great bags, accessories, dogs and other fun stuff.

Darcy is not one of those high horse VP who only shows up for PR photo-ops. She is on the forum interacting with us, setting up the blog, website, forum and social media feeds, as well as taking pictures and being part of the video team (in addition to treat holder for the photogenic canine TB team).

I also met June, who took the time to talk to me while on her way to a meeting.
    Last edited by backpack; 07-25-2013 at 08:36 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0