Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Travel Dresses

Travel Dresses

Does anyone have some recommendations on where to look for travel-friendly dresses? I'm picky about style, so I'd love as many places to check as possible. So far I've had my eye on an ExOfficio dress on their website, but I'm waiting until their Colorado store opens so I can go try it on in person. I've found a couple at Target, of all places, and at REI. I'd prefer brands that are sold in brick-and-mortar stores so I can go try things on in person. I'm near Denver, so I have a lot of store options to choose from.

As far as style, I'm looking for something versatile that can go from casual to dressy with a change of shoes/accessories. My current favorite is a Converse (yes, as in Chucks) dress from Target. It's a LBD with a faux-wrap and ruching over the tummy area, with a knee-length skirt. I LOVE it! But I'm worried it's nearing the end of its days. I wear it super-casually with flip-flops or dressier with a cardigan and nicer shoes. This was actually the only thing I brought to wear on a recent trip to Alaska. It was perfect - long, warm socks, a nice sweater, versatile shoes, and a few sets of undergarments and I was set for nearly a week. The only thing wrong with it is a lack of pockets.

Also, I'm young, so I'd prefer something that doesn't look too grandmotherly.
    It's pronounced "Pan-Jiff-Oh-Knee."

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I'd look at..

Ibex
    Horny Toad
    Patagonia
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

nsh
    My top sources for dresses:
    Icebreaker- great travel and everyday dresses too
    Nau- super stylish and great for all occasions
    Prana- many are eco friendly products
    Shabby Apple- vintage retro style but cotton (so light) and made by a women's cooperative

* The companies are all on line but have great return policies. I rarely shop in stores anymore so sorry to not be of very much help in that respect!

Try Contourwear

My favorite is the Sleeveless Flow Dress made from bamboo...so soft and lightweight.
    Last edited by Kichen$ink; 06-03-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Agree with all of the above plus dresses from Athleta
    There are sales all the time and the return policy is great.
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Forgot to mention Sierra Trading Post
    They carry Ibex, Horny Toad, Patagonia, Prana, Icebreaker, etc
    If you get their e-mail coupons, your savings can be as high as 80%. I've shopped from them for years and they also have wonderful customer service and return policy. They sell everything for outdoors activities as well as dress clothing.
    Darcy and earth5 like this.
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

I have these two ExOfficio dresses. They don't wrinkle, wash well and are easily changed up with a jacket or cardigan and some accessories.

Women's Go-ToŽ Tank Dress | ExOfficio.com in black
    Women's Chica Cool

I have a number of black dresses from H&M that are sort of a bodycon type of dress. Very plain and easy to dress up or down. I have a tank dress, one short sleeved and one long sleeved. They are great under jackets or cardigans, perfect with either chucks or heels and look great with scarves and/or belts. You can also layer a skirt or another top over them to extend your wardrobe if you are packing light. They are also great over skinny jeans or with leggings if it gets cold.

I also have a couple of sweater dresses, both fairly plain and black, one long sleeved and one short sleeved. I think the long sleeved is from Ricki's and the short sleeved is from a local designer. Both are great to wear on the plane with leggings underneath...super comfortable and cozy.

This is also another favourite of mine. It's really comfortable and warm. The belt is removable so you can wear it with or without.
    Marie-Louise Dress In Black And Burgundy @ Favbuy.com Hot Fashion Deals, Up to 80% off

And finally, you might want to check out some of Diane Kroe's stuff. I have a couple of items from her collection and they are great:
    Diane Kroe.

I'm a dress girl if you couldn't tell.
    Last edited by Michou; 06-03-2013 at 10:53 PM.
    Black/Iberian TS, Steel/Steel Synapse, Black/Wasabi LCB, Linen/Steel MCB, Plum/Wasabi SCB, SE, Absolute strap, TT, small YSS, small TSS, Clear organizer wallets (Plum & hemp), TS packing cubes (L, M, S), PCSB, PCSB, Cork OPs, Dyneema OPs in Steel , UV , Iberian , and Solar , Cordura OPs in Plum and Azalea, Plum clear OP, Padded OP, think I'm running out of room here!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I'll be spending a few hours online drooling over dresses now.

nsh - There's actually a Prana store a mile down the street from me, and I was planning on stopping in there tomorrow morning, so I'm excited to see your recommendation!

gochicken - There's an Athleta store a couple blocks from the Prana store, so that was the other one on my to-do list for tomorrow! Now I'm super excited.

Michou - You're my new favorite person. I ended up buying the ExOfficio Go-To tank dress at REI on sale this weekend! Also in black. And I am with you on the dress+leggings. That's how I always fly. (I have to wear compression stockings because of a DVT and bilat. PE history, so no bare legs unless I want to look super unfashionable.) I'm also a dress lady. I literally only ever wear dresses, even when I'm on my bicycle. I actually just got rid of the last of my pants and most of my skirts (I couldn't quite part with all of my skirts and tops just yet, but I think I will soon) in my most recent closet purge this weekend. And from your signature, it looks like you might like purple as much as I do! I just ordered a bag in aubergine, and I am very excited to get it. Honestly, that was the deciding factor in me getting a Tom Bihn bag over any other brand. I know there are many other reasons why these bags are probably better, but sometimes I just need to get the purple option.

End of ramble.
    Michou and nsh like this.

I think you'll like the ExOfficio dress. It's really versatile.

I know exactly what you mean about spending hours drooling over dresses. Someone asked my opinion about a sweater on the Mod Cloth site and I was on there for the rest of the night looking at dresses and skirts! (That's another site you might want to check out btw.)

And yes...huge fan of purple!

Now if you want to talk skirts...
    Last edited by Michou; 06-03-2013 at 11:34 PM.
    Black/Iberian TS, Steel/Steel Synapse, Black/Wasabi LCB, Linen/Steel MCB, Plum/Wasabi SCB, SE, Absolute strap, TT, small YSS, small TSS, Clear organizer wallets (Plum & hemp), TS packing cubes (L, M, S), PCSB, PCSB, Cork OPs, Dyneema OPs in Steel , UV , Iberian , and Solar , Cordura OPs in Plum and Azalea, Plum clear OP, Padded OP, think I'm running out of room here!

Success!

Thank you everyone for the wonderful recommendations! I went downtown this morning and went to just 3 stores and I think I am stocked up on dresses for the year now.

Prana: Lexi Dress | Womens Shorts | prAna
    Prana: Amaya Spacedye Dress | Womens Shorts | prAna
    Athleta: Nearly Knotical Dress | Athleta
    Athleta: Printed Jura Dress | Athleta
    Patagonia: Patagonia Women's Florita Dress

Thanks again! Now I just need to pick which ones to bring to Alaska for the Solstice.

How did it go, Pangifone?

I'm glad to find a fellow dress lover. Most of my wardrobe is skirts and dresses (yes, love them even in the winter with tights).
    Last edited by gochicken; 06-04-2013 at 08:57 PM.

I'd also add Karina Dresses which are made in the USA. They change their prints often so it's worth checking back.

This might be a little strange, but I've just bought myself a Skirt Sports Tough Girl Dress for travel and general winter wear. I can't see them on the Skirt Sports website, but this blog post has some nice pictures of it all dressed up with boots.

-n
    dorayme and nsh like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Michou View Post

And yes...huge fan of purple!
    Me too!

Name:  IMG_2616.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  62.3 KB

Fellow purple lover checking in. Wowza! I've got a purple heavy collection of bags and clothes that would fit right in.

I'm appreciating the dress suggestions as well. I love Prana and Patagonia dresses for travel. I have been drooling over the Athleta catalogue for years, but have never owned any of their stuff.
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

It went really well! I got 5 dresses. I tried to post what I got, but it said it was held for moderation (probably because of all the links) and hasn't shown up yet. If it doesn't show up, I'll take pictures and post them. I ended up with two dresses from Prana (one purple!), two dresses from Athleta (both purple!), and one dress from Patagonia (guess what color... haha.) I'm all set now, and I'm super excited!

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

And gochicken - what is the dress in the picture you posted? It's super cute!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0