Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Travel Dresses

kkintea I agree with all your comments above, less to pack! And no need to decide which top matches with which skirt. I too wear merino dresses, great in summer and winter.

During the day I wear a merino hotpant length short underneath. You never know, may need to jump a fence or sit cross legged whilst out and about. Must admit no hiking or biking in a dress yet, maybe just wear leggings under for some leg protection when the time comes.

My typical packing list:

no sleeve tank style dresses Crush Dress Stripe - Icebreaker (US)
    Maxi Dress ~ Smitten Merino

3/4 sleeve dress Jackie Dress ~ Smitten Merino

wrap around long sleeve dress... doubles as a longline cardi Merino 195 3/4 Dress Women's | Macpac

Usually add a couple of icebreaker t shirts and merino yoga pants and leggings to the bag. So versatile, creates many combinations, and of course you can wear each merino outfit more than once.
    haraya likes this.

Foo, just got some nail polish on one of my new dresses. This is why I never do my nails!! Hopefully it won't leave a mark, I swiped it with a remover pad and am washing it now. Such a pretty purple, too!! (the dress, not the polish)

...anyhoo, am trying to test-drive my dresses around town, figure out under what circumstances I want to wear them. Clearly I have not worn dresses in far too long, as DD thinks I am going to a party whenever I put one on!

bijoux, I bought a pair of Icebreaker shorts too. Those must be my most-used garment right now, I wear them 3x/week under my gi and then again with my dresses. I think I've fully amortized the cost in like, three weeks! ;P (couldn't find that style anywhere but the store) Thank goodness for a washer that has a wool cycle.
    Last edited by haraya; 06-24-2014 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Foo, just got some nail polish on one of my new dresses. This is why I never do my nails!! Hopefully it won't leave a mark, I swiped it with a remover pad and am washing it now. Such a pretty purple, too!! (the dress, not the polish)

...anyhoo, am trying to test-drive my dresses around town, figure out under what circumstances I want to wear them. Clearly I have not worn dresses in far too long, as DD thinks I am going to a party whenever I put one on!

bijoux, I bought a pair of Icebreaker shorts too. Those must be my most-used garment right now, I wear them 3x/week under my gi and then again with my dresses. I think I've fully amortized the cost in like, three weeks! ;P (couldn't find that style anywhere but the store) Thank goodness for a washer that has a wool cycle.

How To Clean Up Your Nail Polish Stains

Quote Originally Posted by pegolas View Post
    Ha!! I love it!! Bihnions really do have the answer for everything!!

...although, that article was rather daunting... I think I can hold off on ordering industrial quantities of dry-cleaning solvent, fortunately, as the polish in question (just two teensy smudges) was a sheer pale pink, and the dress was deep purple. But thank you, thank you! Now I have a handy how-to for the next time I am clumsy.

And that addendum at the bottom was hilarious! Who knew that one can brighten dingy fingernails with crushed denture tablets!!

I ordered an eShakti black blouson (jersey/spandex) dress online and wish I had consulted this thread first. However the dress I ordered looks really comfy and hopefully won't be too thick to pack.

Blouson Style Knit Dresses, Little Black Dresses Plus Size Womens short dresses | Sundresses | Sundress | Cotton Sundress | Resort Sundresses | Beach Sundresses - | eShakti.com

I do currently have a black skort that I recently purchased that I think is extremely versatile (part of the Eddie Bauer travex series).
    I also have a American Eagle summer dress (navy/off white with an olive hem border) that I did get lots of compliments on when I wore it 2 years ago when we went on a trip. So I might just stick with that if the blouson dress doesn't make the cut. I also have a sleeveless coral pink shirt dress that's super cute and dressy but not sure if it's practical to pack (requires ironing..etc...)

Decisions..decisions...how many dresses should I pack? I know I really have to minimize with my TriStar. I don't want to overload the thing and be struggling lugging it around.
    haraya likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by soleilmoon View Post
    Decisions..decisions...how many dresses should I pack? I know I really have to minimize with my TriStar. I don't want to overload the thing and be struggling lugging it around.
    Did you figure out how many to bring? I tried the dress thing for our weekend trip - it worked surprisingly well, especially because I forgot to pack anything to sleep in, and the Icebreaker dress was the comfiest thing in my bag, so I not only traveled in it, I slept in it! ;P

I was also at Athleta this past weekend to look for a new swimsuit, and they had some really cute swim dresses, so I got one that was on sale and ordered a couple more to try that were online but not in store. We'll see how those look when they get here.

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Did you figure out how many to bring? I tried the dress thing for our weekend trip - it worked surprisingly well, especially because I forgot to pack anything to sleep in, and the Icebreaker dress was the comfiest thing in my bag, so I not only traveled in it, I slept in it! ;P

I was also at Athleta this past weekend to look for a new swimsuit, and they had some really cute swim dresses, so I got one that was on sale and ordered a couple more to try that were online but not in store. We'll see how those look when they get here.
    I love my Athleta Inverse Drape dress for traveling. Not only is it insanely comfortable it's reversible so you can make two outfits out of one item.
    haraya likes this.

Oooh that sounds fab! I shall have to check that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by jess View Post
    I love my Athleta Inverse Drape dress for traveling. Not only is it insanely comfortable it's reversible so you can make two outfits out of one item.
    jess likes this.

Just got this one in (Coastline Dress) in the black placement colorway ... the fit is dreamy, but it's a bit too slinky for daywear (slinky=nightie-ish). Keep for going out (note, going out is not a huge part of my schedule ), or return? I suppose I could throw on a shrug or light shawl, though that seems counter to the goal of wearing light clothing in the heat...

I would say return bc it sounds like you don't 100% love it and are trying to justify reasons to keep it. A road I have been down far to often!

Have you all seen the Icebreaker Villa dress? I bought one in solid black and one in a black/eggplant stripe and love them. They could easily be a three-season dress. I also found a deal on Amazon for the Villa skirt and really like it too. Both the dress and the skirt layer great with leggings/tights.
    My TB family:
    A45 in black/iberian, black/steel BB S25 in black dyneema S19 in black/iberian LCB in steel parapack/iberian CP in navy ballistic/solar Swift in steel dyneema LS in Aubergine SE in steel 400d dyneema, nordic dyneema/solar, solar TTs various pouches/key straps/YSSs iPad mini cache LSBs, SSBs PCSB, A45 PCBP in Nordic dyneema 360mm Quiver

I'm guessing it's slinky because it's meant to be a swim coverup as well as a dress. Maybe the swim fabric enhances that feel? I haven't tried any or Athleta's swim apparel so I can't say 100%. Have you tried wearing it out to see if your comfort level grows as you get used to it? I've had a few things from them that I was iffy on then after giving them a wear decided that I loved. IMO that's what makes their return policy awesome. That said, if you're not feeling it--return it. No use in having a one occasion only travel dress. That's what fancy clothes are for
    haraya likes this.

I love the way it looks on me - I just don't know if I will have enough occasions to wear it! *invents reasons* I was thinking I could throw a T-shirt over it, so it functions as a skirt but isn't too risque. I almost never find dresses that are cut short enough for me, usually they come to mid-calf which is my worst length, so I'm having trouble returning this one that fits and is flattering!

Quote Originally Posted by flaneuse View Post
    I would say return bc it sounds like you don't 100% love it and are trying to justify reasons to keep it. A road I have been down far too often!
    Have you all seen the Icebreaker Villa dress? I bought one in solid black and one in a black/eggplant stripe and love them. They could easily be a three-season dress. I also found a deal on Amazon for the Villa skirt and really like it too. Both the dress and the skirt layer great with leggings/tights.
    I ordered one and sent it back... it is a super-versatile dress but I am just too short to make it look good. The Villa skirt was also very cute, I tried it on at the store, but again with the too short to make it look good. Dresses seem to work better for me - less material, simpler lines.

Now I'm trying to figure out if I should pack all dresses... A bit iffy since I've only recently rekindled my love affair with dresses.

Quote Originally Posted by jess View Post
    I'm guessing it's slinky because it's meant to be a swim coverup as well as a dress. Maybe the swim fabric enhances that feel? I haven't tried any or Athleta's swim apparel so I can't say 100%. Have you tried wearing it out to see if your comfort level grows as you get used to it? I've had a few things from them that I was iffy on then after giving them a wear decided that I loved. IMO that's what makes their return policy awesome. That said, if you're not feeling it--return it. No use in having a one occasion only travel dress.
    Yes, the black is a trifle shiny because of the swimsuit material, but also the cut is more "beachy". I think also on someone with more of a model's figure it would be more appropriate for urban get-togethers (think BBQ with neighbors), but the neckline on me is a bit low.

I guess we *are* going to be at the beach for a week, so perfectly appropriate for, say, dinners outside. I'll have to think about how I can modify it for wearing to the playground, or running errands. I do love the fit of everything I've gotten from Athleta - mainly tank tops and tankinis. (I ordered the Coastline dress because I found the Shorebreak dress at the store, in Amalfi blue, and loved the cut. For whatever reason it's slightly more, uh, modest. That one I've been wearing a lot since I got it.)

That's what fancy clothes are for
    I find since having kids the fancy clothes are languishing in my closet... I tried on a dress the other day and realized that the dry-cleaning tags were from seven years ago! I also have less and less patience for getting gussied up.
    jess likes this.

I've been looking at the Icebreaker dresses but am disappointed that they're not offered in any sizes larger than a XL. I usually wear a 16 or 1X in dresses :/ So far I haven't had much luck trying to find similar items to Icebreaker in plus sizes.

That must be frustrating. I imagine it's hard to find performance-type gear in those ranges, it's only recently that they started offering petites (just as aggravating, in a different direction I used to have to shop in the children's section to find my size... not all styles and patterns were flattering for a grown woman!)).

Have you tried non-performance brands? This is probably a better strategy for cold-weather gear (alas for the lack of summer wear), e.g. merino tops or pants. Or what about menswear separates? Would it work to pair XXL tops in Icebreaker, Ibex, Smartwool, Minus33, Outlier with athletic skirts/skorts? All while sending/posting continuous requests to the manufacturers for a wider range of sizes in their dress styles, of course. (Attack on all fronts!!)

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosLib View Post
    I've been looking at the Icebreaker dresses but am disappointed that they're not offered in any sizes larger than a XL. I usually wear a 16 or 1X in dresses :/ So far I haven't had much luck trying to find similar items to Icebreaker in plus sizes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0