Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Travel Dresses

Just popping in to say that I seriously have to stop reading this forum. I had just recently thought my wardrobe wouldn't need any more expanding and now I'm dreaming about new lightweight travel dresses.

Luckily the prettiest ones don't ship to Europe so I'm making a pact with myself: I'll get a new dress if I get the fabric and sow it by myself. Most of these designs are simple enough for me to do, but I'm so lazy to start new sowing projects that this should hold me off for a while.

Thanks for the great dress ideas to all of you though! And what a lovely collection of purple, gochicken.

Pangifone, nice additions to your collection! I'll be interested to hear how they travel. Looking forward to the pictures.
    Black/Iberian TS, Steel/Steel Synapse, Black/Wasabi LCB, Linen/Steel MCB, Plum/Wasabi SCB, SE, Absolute strap, TT, small YSS, small TSS, Clear organizer wallets (Plum & hemp), TS packing cubes (L, M, S), PCSB, PCSB, Cork OPs, Dyneema OPs in Steel , UV , Iberian , and Solar , Cordura OPs in Plum and Azalea, Plum clear OP, Padded OP, think I'm running out of room here!

Happy to hear of your dress shopping success! I love all the suggestions people have made... thanks for starting such a helpful thread!

The purple outfit in the picture is an Eileen Fisher (3/4 sleeve linen/cotton slub) cardigan and (v-neck surplice knee length stretch cotton jersey) dress. The color is African Violet, and is just a tad lighter than my Plum TB items. I love EF clothes.....simple, wearable, expertly cut, beautiful fabrics....sometimes even wrinkle free and perfect for travel! But the cost is quite often prohibitive. I am fortunate enough to live close to an EF Factory Outlet, so I am thankfully able to buy her stuff at a huge discount and justify my habit of buying TB stuff with the savings!
    Michou and nsh like this.
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

nsh
    I must now admit that I was culling through my clothes and made a few dress donations. After getting rid of 4 dresses, I got two new ones from Nau! I got the Verse stripe dress in caviar/white stripe Verse Dress Stripe - Women's Striped MicroModal® Dress - Nau.com
    and the grey M2 dress for colder New England days M2 3/4 Sleeve Dress - Women's Merino Wool 3/4 Sleeve Dress - Nau.com

I mentioned all I ever wear is dresses, right? I just finished cleaning out my closet, getting rid of everything I don't actually wear. Here's the final product, which I am super excited about:

Name:  closet 1.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  973.6 KB

I... probably should stop buying dresses for a bit.

However, I am pretty confident that if I ever needed to, I could probably fit my entire wardrobe comfortably into my shiny new Aeronaut, which arrived yesterday! (Aubergine, of course.)
    It's pronounced "Pan-Jiff-Oh-Knee."

I love this photo. I don't think I could ever be that organized. Maybe I should start thinking about dresses. I have ZERO dresses in my wardrobe and most of my clothes are black or dark coloured. You are giving me some ideas. Especially for the dreadfully hot summers that we have here.

For the first time ever I bought a light coloured jacket at MEC this year for our trip to Iceland. I may just have to try dresses for our upcoming trip to Mexico. When I still lived in Mexico (over a decade ago) I would wear a lot of long skirts (with my army boots, of course), whatever happened to those? :/ Lost in many moving wormholes...

Try MEC for some other dress choices. They do sell Prana and Patagonia as well. They ship everywhere.

Quality Outdoor Gear, Equipment & Clothing - Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC). Free Shipping Available.
    Michou likes this.

nsh
    @pangifone-I love your organized dress photo too! It is so impressive and inspiring. Your profile says you live in Colorado. In the winter when it gets cold do you have a go-to pair of tights that you use with dresses? I live in Boston (this is my second year here) and I am still experimenting with tights. I would love to hear your ideas of how you wear dresses in all seasons.

Thank you!

I live in Colorado, and have for the last 4-ish years, but I grew up in North Dakota, so I feel like I've built up a bit of an immunity to cold, so what I do might not work for everyone.

I actually really dislike tights, but I am all about the leggings. (Sometimes in the summer, too.) The middle left cubby in that picture is my collection of leggings. Most of them are just standard Target or American Apparel leggings, some capri-length for spring and fall, some knee-length for summer, and some ankle-length for winter. I also have one pair of something I keep calling "runner's tights" which I'm not sure is really what they're called or not, haha. They're shaped like leggings, and they're lined with fleece or something on the inside and they look like shiny leggings on the outside. Those are for the very cold days. And a few months ago I also got this totally kick-ass pair of over-the-knee socks from American Apparel which I wore on my last trip up to Alaska. (Purple, of course.)

And then I usually have a cardigan when it gets chilly. That's the stack in the top left.

Where do you buy the "runner's tights"? That sounds like an interesting winter hiking alternative to corduroy.

I think I got them on clearance at TJ Maxx, actually. But I would check any sporting goods type place in the cooler months. I also like to wear them under snow pants for things like sledding and general romping in snow.
    yohopee and nsh like this.

edit: erp! this is old, sorry! Thought the most recently posts were from June...of this year...
    Medium Cafe Bag (black/wasabi), Synapse 19 (black/steel), Small Cafe Bag (cocoa/wasabi)
    Field Journal Notebook (black), Co-Pilot (black/iberian), Side Effect (aubergine/wasabi) <3

Lots of great suggestions - thanks! Here is one more to consider... I don't love American Apparel (but like them a little more now that the creepy CEO is out) but this dress is really comfortable, flattering and you can wear it in a number of different ways: American Apparel Cotton Spandex Jersey Bandeau Dress. Roll over the other colors to see some of the other ways to wear it - plus it works as a skirt. I like having multi-function pieces to help cut down on what I have to pack. It's total a bargain if you like the $8 color(s).

I am a new icebreaker fan (thanks to this site..oh how Tom Bihn influences my life..lol)..and the wool comes from the farms right here in beautiful New Zealand!
    I own 5 pieces of icebreaker items now and i am hooked...I think their dresses would be just as awesome...perfect travel gear.

I know the original post on this thread is from a while ago, but it's a good time to revive it, as I am seriously considering traveling with two Icebreaker dresses. I used to wear dresses a lot before kids, but while they were very little I found it easier to run after them in pants or shorts. Am coming back around to dresses and still trying to figure out how and when I want to wear them. Do tell me what you all like about wearing dresses, especially when traveling!

I have been amassing a travel wardrobe with pieces from Icebreaker, Smartwool, and Ibex that includes 2 dresses. You can pack less (1 dress vs. top/bottom combo), they don't wrinkle (referring to merino), and they can be worn more than once in different contexts. I could see some activities where a dress would be a disadvantage (mountain biking, hiking,...) but it might be fun to mix up your travel style, especially if you already have the pieces.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0