Thread: craghoppers.

craghoppers.

those who are british on this forum will know what i am talking about. it's the outdoors clothing company called craghoppers as made popular by karl pilkington and that extreme survivalist bear grylls. i just want to know about the quality of their products. i am looking into buying their kiwi pants and the insect repellent shirts.

thanks.
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

No direct experience from this expat, but the comments I've seen over on backpackinglight.com are reasonably positive. Bear in mind, we're a bunch of gram-weenies over there, so everyone obsesses about the weight of anything worn or carried. But this thread is indicative of the type of feedback I found.
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

I've got a couple of their solar-dry shirts, kiwi trousers and a couple of pairs of shorts.

I think quality is great and the fit is too. I've got a few The North Face & Berghaus button down shirts and I think that the material and feel is as good, if not nicer in the Craghoppers stuff. They do wash, wear & dry very well too. I got caught in a few heavy downpours whilst wearing the shirt and shorts in Hong Kong last year. I was mostly dry after about 45 mins of sitting in a pub, went outside and got soaked again. Spent about the next hour on various methods of public transport and was perfectly dry by the time we got back to the hotel. Some of my family.

My first experience of them was when I picked the shorts up from CostCo in the UK for a pretty decent price. Being very happy with them, I then ordered the shirts and trousers online.

thank you for the comments. it's just that i have heard some complain about the zippers coming off, the sizing being off with each season's version of whatever pants.

marti, i am about to get two of them solar dry shirts, the ones that karl pilkington is wearing in an idiot abroad. they look very nice and they have an insect shield and that huge hidden pocket for things like passports etc......

i know that hong kong can get very humid. so the shirt was not too hot for you?

thanks.
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

Not too hot at all. It was certainly cooler (and showed less sweat patches) than any of my other cotton & "technical fabric" tee's/polo shirts. The only thing it's not as "airy" as, is mesh-ventilated shirts like this The North Face Men's Short Sleeve Ventilation Shirt - Casual Shirt which I also wear over there, but I don't feel that much hotter in the craghoppers one, despite it looking a lot less breathable.

The humidity, as you say, can be a nightmare. But I've been over there when it's just plain sweltering too. No clouds in the sky, blazing sun and have had to walk up hillside trails with it beating on your back as well as deal with city walking where it's compounded with the heat from the traffic. Either which one, I get hot and perspire, but the fabric does a brilliant job of wicking and drying as it goes and I never feel uncomfortable. The type of weather when, in some

I'm not exactly svelte. 5'10, about 230lbs, 44" chest and 36/38" waist, but I've not had any problems with fit. All of the bottoms are 38" waist and tops are either XL or possibly L (I can't remember off hand, but they are definitely the same size and fit). I've not experienced problems with the zippers either.

marti. thanks for that great post. you know what? i am thinking of getting the large in the long sleeved shirt. i am five ten and weigh around 200 pounds. i normally take a large in all my other sizing. is the large in craghoppers a good fit? and thanks again for all the answers.

you should look into the tee shirt line by icebreaker merino wool clothing. i have a ton of their shirts and they are truly amazing! when you sweat you don't feel clammy, it wicks the sweat away, the stuff does not itch. it's light. it feels like silk on your skin. they have a polo shirt version of the same shirt.

have a look here, there are many options and designs : Travel & Lifestyle

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    No idea if it's still relevant, but I just had an email from Outdoor Clothing & Equipment | Cotswold Outdoor offering 15% off all Craghoppers gear. You just quote HOP15 at the checkout. Oh and free delivery till 3rd May!

I've no connection with them by the way, I just bought an excellent Tilly winter hat from them a couple of years ago and ended up on their mailing list!
    Last edited by Fat Crip; 05-01-2013 at 12:49 PM.

it seems craghoppers does really well in europe but especially amongst the brits. i found out about the brand from watching AN IDIOT ABROAD, seeing karl pilkington wearing that really nice beige shirt.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfungi View Post
    it seems craghoppers does really well in europe but especially amongst the brits. i found out about the brand from watching AN IDIOT ABROAD, seeing karl pilkington wearing that really nice beige shirt.
    I feel sorry for wee Karl. Merchant and Gervais are really cruel to him! Funny though

that was what made the show so special. karl being who he is : a guy who hates traveling. ricky and merchant setting karl up with these trips and hidden surprises along the way. i really really liked the show. the trip to china was the best episode i think and india a close second choice.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0