Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Hello from another new member

Hello from another new member

Just wanted to say hello from me and thank you to the forum support staff (Beau B. in this case) who sorted out my issues with registering for the forum. (I'm, or perhaps more accurately my IP/ISP/other is flagged as a spammer ).

Have lurked on and off for some time as I've been looking for "the" bag that will suit me! Perhaps, not surprisingly, I kept ending up back at Tom Bihn everytime! The only annoyance being that I'm from the UK so the cost of buying a new TB bag instantly becomes more than it really should be (Damn you customs and couriers!). Consequently have seemingly looked every other avenue that is readily available in the UK and none have been particularly appealing. Hopefully I'll get my hands on the bag I want in the near future though!
    Darcy, TavaPeak and nsh like this.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Beau's Avatar
    Welcome to the TOM BIHN forums, MartiBlank! Glad you could make it despite the troubles you were having with registration. Hopefully somebody here can help you in your search for "the" bag!

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    The costs of UPS and VAT and import duty here are a pain, but definitely worth it. There are genuinely no comparable bags to the likes of the Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Ristretto and Cafe Bags available here. Welcome to the forum. Where in the UK are you?

nsh
    Welcome to the forum It took me a long time to decide on my bag but once I did, I have never once regretted a purchase at Tom Bihn.

From Sunderland, Tyne & Wear.

I can totally imagine its worth it, but the inkling is still there lol. There's a TB bag on eBay I've got my eye on so will be a way to get my foot in the door. If I get it, it might settle the nerves for me to order a new one for myself.

I priced up a Co-Pilot, using an online duty calculator, and it the extra costs between landing in the UK was something like 50% of the TB price.

Well the heartbreak has happened. Missed out, narrowly I think, on a Tri-Star and, by quite a large margin, an Aeronaut on eBay. Was shocked at how much the Aero went for in comparison to the Tri-star.

Will have to work out which bag is going to be more suited for me than place an order in the very near future methinks!

So sorry you missed out on eBay. Yes, TB items are not cheap. Add the extra costs for you folks outside of the US pay, the sticker shock is huge. But it's money well spent in the end.

You will enjoy whatever Tom Bihn bag you choose, as most if us do.

Hi, welcome to the forums! I was watching those items on eBay too, just out of interest. I was surprised how much that Aeronaut went for too. I think it may have been in a colour that has since been retired, or something.

I was tempted to put a bid in for the Solar Dyneema Travel Tray and Clear Quarter Packing Cube, but didn't in the end.

The seller was selling quite a few Tom Bihn items, as they've recently been 'converted' to the joys of Dyneema - I did wonder whether they ever hung out here...

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    So sorry you missed out on eBay. Yes, TB items are not cheap. Add the extra costs for you folks outside of the US pay, the sticker shock is huge. But it's money well spent in the end.

You will enjoy whatever Tom Bihn bag you choose, as most if us do.
    I have no doubt I'll enjoy whichever I choose. It's just the "making sure I get it right first time" as there's not really any concession for, lets say, ordering two bags and returning one back.

I remember ordering some gelaskin covers for my MacBook and iPad some time ago. When the delivery guy knocked on the door with them he asked me for circa 20 for their fees. The order from gelaskins was only about 30! lol. Wasn't expecting to pay anything extra really so that was a true bang head off wall one.

Quote Originally Posted by helen_uk View Post
    Hi, welcome to the forums! I was watching those items on eBay too, just out of interest. I was surprised how much that Aeronaut went for too. I think it may have been in a colour that has since been retired, or something.

I was tempted to put a bid in for the Solar Dyneema Travel Tray and Clear Quarter Packing Cube, but didn't in the end.

The seller was selling quite a few Tom Bihn items, as they've recently been 'converted' to the joys of Dyneema - I did wonder whether they ever hung out here...
    For those in the US that maybe wouldn't have seen them on eBay, the Aero went for 182 (about $270) and the two Tri-Stars went for 129 & 137 (approx $190 & $200). I missed out on the blue Tri by the skin of my teeth. Upped my bid at the last few moments and stupid 3G connection picked a really good time to stutter lol.

I think I'm narrowing my choice down to either a Tri-Star or Western Flyer (Didn't bid on that one as I had my heart set on one of the above two, doh) as I think the Aero is a bit big for what I need.

I'm not, yet, looking to one-bag. I'm just currently using a hard-shell (Antler Revelation I think) wheeled case as my carry on and other than the compression strap in one half and the full zip panel in the other, it's got no methods to keep things organised and it's pee'd me off for the last couple of years when I've been going away.

Might stick a post in one of the more appropriate sections to get some views. Am going away at beginning of April so would be nice/optimistic if I can make a decision before then!

Hey, Marti, do you know anyone that works with the US military there? We pay standard shipping and perhaps you could talk someone into buying you a "gift".

Just got my Co-Pilot in the mail this week $110 + about $10 shipping. You really must have a Tom Bihn.

I don't unfortunately. But that is a good shout of an idea. Annoyingly my ex did know someone on a base here! I know someone going to NY in a couple of weeks but I would feel bad asking them to take delivery at their hotel and it means I definitely wouldn't get it in time for my own holiday lol

Quote Originally Posted by MartiBlank View Post

I priced up a Co-Pilot, using an online duty calculator, and it the extra costs between landing in the UK was something like 50% of the TB price.
    I don't think it's as much as that, you know. My last couple of orders were (in sterling):

129.46 (UPS 23.83)
    92.79 (UPS 19.07)
    355.34 (UPS 43.31)
    89.03 (UPS 11.10)

Yikes, blushing at how much I've spent...

UPS ask you for payment when they make the delivery at your door. I pay by cheque.

ceb
    Quote Originally Posted by dnarud13 View Post
    Hey, Marti, do you know anyone that works with the US military there? We pay standard shipping and perhaps you could talk someone into buying you a "gift".

Just got my Co-Pilot in the mail this week $110 + about $10 shipping. You really must have a Tom Bihn.
    I don't unfortunately. But that is a good shout of an idea. Annoyingly my ex did know someone on a base here! I know someone going to NY in a couple of weeks but I would feel bad asking them to take delivery at their hotel and it means I definitely wouldn't get it in time for my own holiday lol
    Actually, having someone buy you something, shipping it APO and then giving it to you is a violation of a whole host of regulations and laws.

It is a violation of military regulations and a violation of host country laws.

While it may be unlikely that you'll be caught, if you do, then the military member may be facing punishment under the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) and you'll be facing fines and possible criminal charges from the locals.

If a military member gives you a gift then it usually isn't an issue (although local laws may restrict the types/$$$ of gifts) but as soon as you pay for it then it no longer is a gift - even if you put in quotation marks

HM Customs is particularly vigilant and I know of several people who have gotten hefty fines for very similar issues.
    Last edited by ceb; 03-20-2013 at 02:50 PM.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Well the heartbreak has happened. Missed out, narrowly I think, on a Tri-Star and, by quite a large margin, an Aeronaut on eBay. Was shocked at how much the Aero went for in comparison to the Tri-star.
    I'm not sure I should be showing my face around here... That was me. Aeronaut in crimson and navy Tri-star. Sorry! I was a bit surprised too but more at how relatively "cheap" the navy/solar Tri-star went for. In my defence I was quite determined and given the overheads of buying new TB gear in the UK, I was prepared to pay a significant proportion of the new price - on the grounds that if I didn't win I was likely to order new very soon! It was a bit of a binge but as this stuff is so rare in the UK I thought it best to "go for it"...

Edited to add: don't forget btw that 182 might be = around $270, but the auction lot also included a set of packing cubes which would add another $80 or thereabouts on top of a new Aeronaut at $250. Convert to sterling, add import duty at 2.7%, plus VAT at 20% on top, and buying the equivalent new would have been nearer 300 in the UK (i.e. equivalent of over $400) - plus the cost of shipping and UPS handling fee as well!

What's boggling my mind is what the seller gave as the reason for selling: has just upgraded the collection to latest models in dyneema. That's a serious investment...
    Last edited by PaulT00; 03-20-2013 at 04:58 PM.

From Sunderland, Tyne & Wear.

eek - I was feeling sad about the 20% on my recent order - reduced from 50% by simply ordering more stuff! My main order of a synapse was too valuable to entrust to USPS so my only option was to add items ... wheeeeeee!

(in Australia - we have only to deal with the shipping cost as long as the order is under AU$1000, when GST kicks in - although there are constant rumbles from Australian retailers who want the limit lowered/removed)
    List under construction ....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0