Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 25 of 25
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Hello from another new member

  1. #16
    Registered User Fat Crip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Posts
    587
    Well, the cardinal Western Flyer in that sale is on its way to me. Including delivery it was 101 or at today's horrendous exchange rate $152. Assuming the condition is OK, I'm happy with that as its around half of what I'd have paid buying new after I'd included $45 delivery and around 40 duty/VAT.

    On the other hand, what yesterday did show was what good investments TB bags are compared to other brands. I bought the WF because it received relatively less attention than the backpack version or the larger bags, each of which went for a pretty hefty chunk of their retail prices. How many other brands could you say that of? Perhaps if, say a Red Ox ever came up on UK eBay it might do the same, but almost any other brand you could name (I won't embarrass any) wouldn't come close.

  2. #17
    Registered User Fat Crip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by helen_uk View Post
    I don't think it's as much as that, you know. My last couple of orders were (in sterling):

    129.46 (UPS 23.83)
    92.79 (UPS 19.07)
    355.34 (UPS 43.31)
    89.03 (UPS 11.10)

    Yikes, blushing at how much I've spent...

    UPS ask you for payment when they make the delivery at your door. I pay by cheque.
    That's about right for me too. I haven't dug out the receipts, but it certainly feels right. They take a cheque these days, but they used to want cash, but didn't give change if you only had 10's and 20's from the cash machine!

  3. #18
    Registered User Fat Crip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by MartiBlank View Post
    From Sunderland, Tyne & Wear.
    Heather and I and a TB bag or two will be down your way in May when she will be Godmother to her wee nephew William. Best not bring the Aeronaut or she'll sneak the baby away in it!

  4. #19
    Registered User ceepee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by helen_uk View Post
    The seller was selling quite a few Tom Bihn items, as they've recently been 'converted' to the joys of Dyneema - I did wonder whether they ever hung out here...
    Hi,
    Yes I do Very rarely post though, I'm more of a lurker

  5. #20
    Registered User ceepee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulT00 View Post
    What's boggling my mind is what the seller gave as the reason for selling: has just upgraded the collection to latest models in dyneema. That's a serious investment...
    I know folks that trade in their car every three years. Upgrading my bags is small change in comparison. And they probably don't do nearly as well on the trade in value

  6. #21
    Registered User Fat Crip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by ceepee View Post
    Hi,
    Yes I do Very rarely post though, I'm more of a lurker
    I asked on eBay if you posted here. I bought the Cardinal/Steel WF. Really wanted the Navy/Solar one, but I wasn't the only one

    I'll be home on Tuesday and, hopefully it'll be waiting for me!

  7. #22
    Registered User ceepee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    I asked on eBay if you posted here.
    Sorry, I missed your question. I got tons of 'question's', both during and after the auctions had finished, and the latter were not just from the the winners.

    I normally hate listing stuff on eBay, in fact I mostly get my partner to do it (I tell him, it's because he has a higher rating than me ). These auctions were a pleasure. The 'questions' were interesting and there was quite a bit of follow up chat, rather than just endless 'What's your buy it now? Will you trade for a (insert random item here)?, What's your buy it now?'.

  8. #23
    Registered User helen_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    60
    Hi ceepee! Enjoy your new Dyneema items. I love Dyneema too.

  9. #24
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The far west
    Posts
    4,579
    Quote Originally Posted by ceepee View Post
    I normally hate listing stuff on eBay, in fact I mostly get my partner to do it (I tell him, it's because he has a higher rating than me ). These auctions were a pleasure. The 'questions' were interesting and there was quite a bit of follow up chat, rather than just endless 'What's your buy it now? Will you trade for a (insert random item here)?, What's your buy it now?'.
    I love this. Totally our experience here as well. Occasionally, we've had people join our crew thinking maybe that (from their past experiences) "customer service" can be a tough field of work... after just a few weeks here, they're talking about how fun it is.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

  10. #25
    ceb
    ceb is online now
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I love this. Totally our experience here as well. Occasionally, we've had people join our crew thinking maybe that (from their past experiences) "customer service" can be a tough field of work... after just a few weeks here, they're talking about how fun it is.
    I think it all comes from your attitude towards customer service and the product you are selling.

    In this case, the product is great and actual problems aren't very common. Since this is a bit of a niche product, the customers do more research prior to purchase that the average impulse luggage buyer. Accordingly, the calls and emails that come in aren't initially hostile and in that case, the Customer Service Rep can make or break that relationship.

    You guys are really great at making them.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0