Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Leakproof beverage containers

ceb

Leakproof beverage containers

We are on the quest for the perfect bag and most of us have come pretty close with TB stuff, but what about a beverage container?

IMO, it needs to be

Completely leakproof when closed
    Somewhat splashproof when open (i.e. not slosh outside the container when in a cupholder in a moving car/train)
    Keep stuff cold/hot for a couple of hours
    Fit into most cupholders
    Have a decent capacity (i.e. over 20oz)
    Clean easily

I've found (and used) this one but it is a bit small and doesn't fit into any cup holder.

Any thoughts?
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

I've had good luck with Chantal travel mugs. I haven't had one leak on me yet.

Amazon.com: Chantal SL92-T 15-Ounce Travel Mug, Stainless Steel: Kitchen & Dining

Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    We are on the quest for the perfect bag and most of us have come pretty close with TB stuff, but what about a beverage container?

IMO, it needs to be

Completely leakproof when closed
    Somewhat splashproof when open (i.e. not slosh outside the container when in a cupholder in a moving car/train)
    Keep stuff cold/hot for a couple of hours
    Fit into most cupholders
    Have a decent capacity (i.e. over 20oz)
    Clean easily

I've found (and used) this one but it is a bit small and doesn't fit into any cup holder.

Any thoughts?

CEB,

I just received a new travel mug for my birthday. My sister did a bunch of research and found it on Amazon (see link below). The company is called Zojirushi (obviously Japanese). They make several vacuum sealed mugs. My mug is the 16-oz model.

I honestly can't believe how awesome this mug is - I've told several people that it's an engineering marvel. The mug weighs basically nothing, it fits in all cup holders (same width as a 20-oz Coke bottle), and it literally keeps liquids hot or cold for 8+ hours.

I tested it the first day by making a mug of tea. I drank from the mug most of the day and then took it home and had my wife hold her hand out while I poured the remaining tea down the drain. The tea was still very warm, but not scolding. It was unreal - I could have drank the same cup of tea at 5:30 pm that I made at 7:00 am. No joke.

It's not the easiest to clean, but I haven't found it to be too bad. Well worth the effort considering how well it performs. I highly recommend it to anyone that asks. The mug will cost around $30 shipped. Not bad considering you can get cheapo mugs at Target or wherever for $15 - 20.

Amazon.com: Zojirushi SM-KHE48AG Stainless Steel Mug, 16-Ounce, Smoky Blue: Kitchen & Dining

I highly recommend a mug from Zojirushi - gets excellent reviews on Amazon and I just got one for my birthday. This mug keeps my coffee or tea hot and drinkable literally all day. I tested it the first week and when I poured the remaining tea from the mug at home, it was still quite warm. So it lasted more than 10 hours with the top open and closed during the day.

It will cost you about $30, which isn't bad considering cheapo models from Target are $15 - 20. Cleaining isn't the easiest, but it's not bad. I think it's a small price to pay for the performance of this mug. I have the 16-oz version, but I don't think they make a 20-oz. It fits in all cup holders too - same diameter as a 20-oz Coke bottle.

Amazon.com: Zojirushi SM-KHE48AG Stainless Steel Mug, 16-Ounce, Smoky Blue: Kitchen & Dining

Ryan

Sorry I double-posted my reply because it wasn't showing up for some reason. Didn't realize a moderator has to review.

it's a little on the spendier side, but i lovelovelove my hydroflask. it's a steel insulated bottle, can be used for hot or cold things and cleans up nicely with hothot water, soap and an occasional scrub to the cap's gasket. i have the 40oz version of what's linked below, as well as a 21oz standard mouth (the tap water where i work is FOUL, so i bring a day's supply of filtered water from home). while the flip lid is supposedly not 100% leakproof, i've not had any issues whatsoever (however, you can them with a screwtop lid and purchase the flip cap separately). the 40oz bottle is usually the second one to be drank and it frequently has ice still in it well into the evening. water stays cold for a good 24 hours, and supposedly hot for 12ish, though i haven't used it for that (not big on hot beverages, personally).

18oz Wide Mouth Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel Hydro Flask with Hydro Flip | Hydro Flask

ceb
    Very nice. Does it fit a cup holder?

I've had good luck with the Chantal travel mugs. No leaks yet, great design because its easy to tell if the lid is closed or not.
    Chantal Travel Mug - Chantal Corporation

Very nice. Does it fit a cup holder?
    The 18oz does, but my 40oz does not.

ceb
    Thanks. I'll order a couple as soon as I find a coupon code.

ceb
    Any thoughts of KleenKanteen, vs HydroFlask?

the insulated klean kanteens are basically interchangeable with hydroflasks. personally, i liked the flip cap on the hydroflask better than the cafecap on the klean kanteen, plus hydroflask (save for the plain stainless exterior version) is lightly textured, which my clumsy paws appreciate.

I've never owned a HydroFlask, but my wife has an insulated KleenKanteen. She loves it. It keeps tea hot for hours. So well, in fact, that she usually lets the tea cool slightly before putting it in the canteen so it doesn't burn her 6 hours later.

BUT... the KleenKanteen's cafe lid is definitely not 100% leakproof. She has gotten a little bit--a few drops, usually--of what is in the canteen inside her bag. It seems to be a little residual from the opening for drinking. It seems to seal pretty well other than that. The regular screw top is absolutely 100% leakproof and is completely interchangeable.

I'm intrigued by the Hydroflask, and hope to check it out. I've had wonderful luck with the Contigo mugs, and have hauled mine all around the world. Travel Mugs – Stainless Steel Mug – AUTOSEAL® Mug – Contigo®

Disclosure: I haven't researched the place of origin, or ethics of the company.
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The first and only (so far) travel mug I've ever really loved: Snowpeak Kanpai 500

It comes standard with three different lids: one keeps drinks cold, one keeps drinks hot, and one has an openable top for drinking. Only the first two lids are completely watertight. And a warning: the bottle can sometimes be difficult to open. If you're one of the people that other people hand jars to open, you'll be fine.

Fits nicely in the water bottle pocket of the Co-Pilot, too.

Name:  snowpeak.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  56.0 KB
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0