Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Leakproof beverage containers

ceb
    Ouch to the price of the Snowpeak, but it does fit well in the Co-pilot

It looks like I have a bit more research to do.

Thanks all
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

ceb
    After tons of research, I've settled on Hydroflask. Based on feedback, I ordered a couple of Contigo's that I promptly sent back because the lid is nearly impossible to keep clean.

We then went to REI because they have both the Kleen Kanteen and the HydroFlask. Unfortunately, the local REI doesn't stock Hydro Flask and no coffee lids for the Kleen Kanteen but the sales person suggested the REI brand. It has an innovative push button top that won't leak when closed and a quick push lets you drink - but neither size fits well in a cup holder and the smaller size tip easily when placed on a desk. They are going back too. Reviews show the Kleen Kanteen lids as being very poor quality.

I ordered (from REI as they have a $20 off $100 sale right now) two Hydro Flasks and two coffee lids. Great quality, fits into cupholders, holds coffee hot (very hot) for hours and the lid doesn't leak. I wouldn't put the bottle with the coffee lid in my TB bags but it isn't going to come open easily.

I'm ordering a 40oz and a 64oz bottle too for road trips. While not cheap, we'll make up for it on money saved on coffee that won't be tossed because it is lukewarm. The lid also has a round'ish hole that a straw fits into nicely so it works well with cold beverages too.

FWIW, the REI lid with the pushbutton fits the Hydro Flask.

Thanks for everyone's input. I now have a crate of old insulated cups and bottles to give away because I've found what (for now) is a really good travel mug.

Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    fits into cupholders
    I'm not sure if you have bigger cup holders in the USA, but my Kleen Kanteen is about the same diameter as the 18, 21 and 24 oz hydroflasks and doesn't fit very well in the cup holders of any of the four cars I've used in the last year or so.

Jonathan

ceb
    Quote Originally Posted by gonty View Post
    I'm not sure if you have bigger cup holders in the USA, but my Kleen Kanteen is about the same diameter as the 18, 21 and 24 oz hydroflasks and doesn't fit very well in the cup holders of any of the four cars I've used in the last year or so.

Jonathan
    America is the land of the Double Gulp so many cup holders are super sized. The HydroFlask/Kleen Kanteen in the 18/20 oz sizes fits comfortably in my Acura TSX (Honda Accord in your part of the world) and Lexus RX300 cupholders and is a bit loose in my wife's Honda Civic. The HF fits loosely in my Brother-in-law's Jag and Ford Fusion and loosely in my sister's Acura RL (Honda Legend). It won't fit in the BMW 3 series (E90) but will in the new 3 series and the 5 series. No problem in the 212 MB E series either.

Belated thanks to rfordut for recommending the Zojirushi. After reading about it, I reviewed it on Amazon and made the plunge and bought it. It has turned out to be the best travel mug that I have ever used. It is completely spill proof - I can shake it, place it upside down, and no spill, no leak, no drips. The lid can be completely taken apart so that all parts can be cleaned. And it keeps things hot, all day. It fits in the middle bottle/umbrella pocket of the Co-Pilot easily. A great product. Thanks again rfordut!

ceb - that makes sense. I need to get myself an American sized cup holder so my Kleen Kanteen doesn't sit at an awkward angle threatening to spill all over the car.

ceb
    So you need something like this to make it fit

ceb
    while I still really like the HydroFlask, my wife doesn't like the lid as it makes her nose wet. I generally drink cold stuff with a straw so it isn't an issue with me. Even when I drink hot liquids I probably tilt my head more so it doesn't bother.

Bottom line - check the lid for "nose interference" before you buy one.

Thumbs up Contigo

My favorite that I've been using for the last 7-8 years are Contigo Autoseals. I've had the same 16oz for that time and it's never leaked. It has a pushbutton on the side that opens the drinking valve. Once you let go, or toss it aside, it automatically seals. It fits in every cupholder and also in the Co-Pilot. I just put it in the dishwasher for cleaning. It keeps my coffee hot for about 3-4 hours, which is all it takes me to drink it. What I like about it is that there is no unscrewing or flip-top to operate; it's as quick and easy to sip out of as a regular cup. I see that they now make a 20oz with the same autoseal lid and so will by a new one after all these years.

Amazon.com: Contigo AUTOSEAL West Loop Stainless Steel 20-Ounce Travel Mug with Easy-Clean Lid, Black: Kitchen & Dining
    [2003] Brain Bag (w/Snake Charmer & 3 Monolith/Brain Cells)
    - [2010] Aeronaut (w/Absolute, 1lg/2sm Packing Cubes, Travel Tray & 3D clear cube)
    - - [2013] Co-Pilot (w/ Cache, Clear Org wallet, S.O.S., 3D Clear & mesh cubes, Passport pouch)
    - - - Small dyneema Shopbag
    - - - - Various TB stuff (organizers, straps, whistles, etc.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0