Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Need coffee advice!

Nli

Need coffee advice!

Hello TB fans:

Thanks to so may of you for so much great advice on so many topics and to TB for the best bags I've ever had. Now I need coffee advice and hope you all can offer some.

I LOVE coffee and there are two coffee crises in my life: 1) I can't drink caffeine any longer - any great decafs out there? 2) any recommendations on home-brew systems?

Most of my coffee consumption until recently was outside of my home but more home-brewing of 2 cups at a time is in my future. Until recently I had a Keurig with the reusable filters but it just died (and although super convenient, it made not-so-great coffee) and also have a french-press (not a fan of the sludge).

Any advice? Any V60 or Chemex users? Started looking around and there are SO MANY coffee options these days! Weighing beans, weighing water, timing brews - whew!

Have read all old coffee posts and know there are a lot of you coffee lovers out there - hope some can offer suggestions! Thanks very much!

Hi Nli, I can't post links right now but you will find interesting coffee stuff in at least two threads. Tom Bihn coffee nerd kit started by joiedwards on 4.4.12. The other is traveling with coffee started by tCook on 5.3.11.

Personally I use a Melita dripper. Just pop in a filter, coffee, a pinch of salt some water and I'm all set. I don't own a coffee maker. I try to keep things as low tech as I can. I love Matt's Wood Roasted coffee. Very good stuff.
    Take care,
    Moose
    tCook likes this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

nsh
    I am not sure if you are located in the US, but there is a great small coffee roastery in Champaign, IL called Columbia Street Roastery Columbia Street Roastery by Herriott's - Champaign, IL. They are a small Mom and Pop shop and I got to know the head roaster, a guy named Alex, when I lived there for a few years. If you live close by they do free coffee cuppings and tours of the place. They have wonderful decaf options of single origin and mixed blend coffees. A lot of folks like the black velvet blend in decaf. They even have flavored decaf if you like. They don't have a great website but you can call them up on the phone and order bags (whole bean or ground) by the pound and half pound. They ship directly to your house.
    PS- I don't own a stake in the business I just think they are a super nice and honest business. The kind of place a TB lover might like too.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Hey Nli-

I've been subscribing to Tonx for about 2 months now and can't recommend them enough. I don't drink decaf but can confirm they have a decaf option. Full disclosure that is an affiliate link. I'll get a t-shirt if you decide to sign up.

As far as brewing systems I've been using the Aeropress and love it. It only makes a cup at a time but once you have boiled some water, the brew time is extremely quick.

Along with that you will want a good grinder. I've been using the Baratza Encore and have no complaints.

Hope that helps and good luck with whatever option you decide.

Nli, in my post above I mentioned I use a Melita dripper. I recently found a Cuissential SlickDrip. It works along the same lines as the Melita dripper but it's silicone and collisible. It works like a champ and is is going with me on vacation next month. It is small and flexible. It's a bit pricey but to have a decent cup of coffee a small price to pay.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

i am making my daily fresh coffee with this beauty :Features Gamila Company Designs That Make You Smile!

no sludge! super easy to clean. all stainless steel and food grade silicone. i have used the bodums and they are total crap compared to this impress coffee maker. this is such a great product for coffee lovers like us.
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

I use the Clever Coffee dripper - your grounds steep like they would in a French Press and you don't get any sludge because the setup uses a filter. It's relatively inexpensive. I like the Aeropress too, that's more portable if you want to be able to bring your setup with you when you travel.

Another option would be a coffee substitute, like roasted chicory root.
    You can buy it online or at a health food store, and you brew it just like coffee. It has a sweeter flavor, but is still very coffee-like in taste and appearance.

I've even had a variation that had roasted dandelion root added to it... Still tinkering with that myself to get it right, heh.
    Ted

SuperEgo in black/steel/wasabi; Aeronaut in cardinal/steel; Horizontal Cache (2M) in charcoal; Travel Tray in Ultraviolet

Quote Originally Posted by Nli View Post
    Hello TB fans:

2) any recommendations on home-brew systems?

Most of my coffee consumption until recently was outside of my home but more home-brewing of 2 cups at a time is in my future.
    Hi,

I got hooked on coffee after reading the coffee threads on this forum.

My personal favorite brew method is the old Italian stovetop (Bialetti Brikka) which produces a very nice thick coffee (mouthfeel). I also have an aeropress but find the mouthfeel is more diluted/watery.

Cheers, Wen

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BagMonkey View Post
    I use a ceramic coffee cone but I've heard great things about the Aeropress...
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Baby's Coffee Old Town Roast decaf is the best decaffeinated coffee I've tried. I happened upon Baby's back one of my no-caffeine phases. I've been ordering coffee from them ever since then (2002-ish).

Nli
    Dear Moose, nsh, Darcy, dboredom, blackfungi, Marieh, Flinx, BagMonkey, WenV, snowbot and anyone else I missed! Thanks so much for all of the very helpful advice! I am slowly working through your helpful suggestions and have some orders on their way. At some point I will post what I find that suits my palate and brew-energy level! The other day I had a cup of something I have not tried in 20 years: freeze dried. It was not too bad! Oh my! Taste buds must be atrophying!! Thanks again! Nli

A little late on my part, but other than recommending water-process decaf, it's more a matter of you trying and seeing what you like. Decafs do taste different, imo, but that doesn't necessarily mean bad.

I'd also recommend going to vervecoffeeroasters.com and clicking on "videos." LOTS of great (and short) info-vids for coffee nerds who want to learn more.

Figure out your Fuss Factor (how much you're willing to fuss to get a good cup of coffee) and then check out what the most common options are, then pick one to try (staying true to your Fuss Factor).

Some days I am willing to do the whole ritual of coffee making (pour over, French press, or aeropress), but a lot of days find me with a Fuss Factor of near zero, so I do some heavy button pushing on my Nespresso (or, occasionally, the Keurig).

Whatever you choose — enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0