Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MarttaTWP
  • 2 Post By falconea

Thread: Are memories important?

Are memories important?

Bit of a philosophical/survey question. I'm wondering how many of you go back through your photos and how often? How often do you stop and reflect on the past? Do you have physical photo albums or is it all in the cloud? Do you do scrapbooks, coffee table albums or such? What do you reminisce about most? The old days? Past holidays? Birthdays, wedding, Christmas photos?
    Darcy likes this.

We did a 3 month trip 4 years ago, and we both kept a detailed diary. That diary got emailed to workmates, friends and family in lieu of postcards, and each year I re-read the diary for that day on the trip - it's great fun to re-read the diary!

And so, allow me to present a relevant extract:

Friday 30 January 2009
    Audrey

We are visiting Seattle to visit 2 factories Ė one the biggest factory in the world, Boeing, and the other Tom Bihn, a small factory where they make very nice bags. We were met by Tom himself and got a tour of the factory floor, met half the staff, looked at and talked about all the technology used (they now print patterns on a plotter, which enables them to change them for each run if necessary Ė the sewers are constant ly suggest ing minor tweaks that would make sewing easier [they also get to cont ribute to new designs]), heard the history of the company (Tom had been designing the bags and gett ing them made by another company, which decided to get out of the business, so Tom bought the factory equipment and gave all the sacked staff jobs), compared the issues of doing business in the US and in Australia (Tomís biggest expense after wages is the staff health insurance which he refuses to skimp on). We offered up our suggest ions on new bags and Leon went through in great detail exactly what he likes in a camera bag (Tom is current ly designing one) and we then explored the store-room, picking out the items we wanted. (Carole, got you that red bag Ė the last one they had!)

It was very interest ing to see a company that prides itself on being ethical in action!

After 2 hours we left, and walked the couple of kilometres into town ....

Leon
    We are going to Seattle for 2 reasons. One is to see two factories, the other is to make the most of the ticket we have and build up as many frequent flyer points as we can. The factories are Tom Bihn, which makes good quality bags, back packs and laptop bags and the Boeing factory.

Iíve never been in a textile factory before, but Iíve done enough sewing and owned enough bags (particularly camera bags) that didnít quite do what I wanted to find how everything is made very interesting. Tom was very interested in my camera bag as he is currently designing something similar as an insert for his back packs. We came away with a lot of knowledge on how bags are made and how to check that they are well finished and should last.

It's also delightful to be able to read and remember 2 perspectives on everything we did in our 3 month round the world trip.

Audrey
    Last edited by falconea; 01-18-2013 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Fixing formatting
    Darcy and julawils like this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0