Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Other Favorite Brands

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    If the planets align, perhaps I can snag a pair of the Dash RunAmocs when the discount increases next week? If it's going like hotcakes though, I might have to jump on a pair of those too, soon.
    As of noon PST, the discount increased to 40%, and I snagged a pair of Soft Star platinum Dash RunAmocs that I had been eyeing all week. They sound bling-tastic! I'm a little scared and excited at the prospect.

ETA: I just found this post on the Soft Star blog, with a pic of shoes that most likely look very similar to the ones I just bought. Oh my. I'll need to start practicing my Fosse jazz hands when I walk down the street. So psyched!
    Last edited by Ginkgo; 02-13-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miking View Post
    I have been drooling over the 15" MacBook Pro Retina since it came out, it's one sexy computer, only I can't justify dropping that much when my first generation unibody MacBook Pro is still so dependable and zipping along pretty well for 5+ year old computer (an antique as far as computers go), I can see myself swapping out the optical drive for a solid state HD and max out the ram when it starts to feel slow and then maybe when it starts to feel slow again I will upgrade to the latest and greatest Apple creation!

More kool-aid?

Sent from my iPad
    The rMBP is replacing a 6 year old Tohiba laptop which was antique a couple years ago, so I know what you mean. Finally got our IT department to come pick it up to install Office (yes, they have to/choose to take its away to do that) so I can finally transition to it fully.

Quote Originally Posted by capncat View Post
    the occasional uniqlo piece for casual times
    I saw you mention Uniqlo in another thread on winter clothing and you have piqued my interest as I had never heard of this brand - is their stuff decent quality? Their prices are pretty fair on their site, but I can't really tell if it is junk or not. Love to hear some thoughts...
    --------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    I saw you mention Uniqlo in another thread on winter clothing and you have piqued my interest as I had never heard of this brand - is their stuff decent quality? Their prices are pretty fair on their site, but I can't really tell if it is junk or not. Love to hear some thoughts...
    yes, the quality is actually remarkably good for the price! uniqlo is basically japan's equivalent of the gap, but with somewhat lower prices/better quality and imo, a bit more stylish. it's just been within the last six months or so that they have sold via internet in the US. i used to squirrel back cash to refresh my wardrobe there every time i visited family and friends in NYC, where their only north american stores were until recently.

honestly, my only genuine gripe is that if you have long arms, some of the long-sleeved stuff can run a bit short (fortunately their return policy is decent enough). i'm long in the legs, also, but have not had any issues of the sort with pants.
    Last edited by capncat; 03-06-2013 at 08:46 AM.

ceb
    I have so many favorite travel products Let me start with a few:

GoToob and GoTubb by Humangear

iGo chargers. I just take the Travel laptop charger, add a USB charging cable and the appropriate tips. If I have a second device, then I'll ad a short cable. For international travel, I add a plug converter that also adds two USB ports.

To tie it all together, I use a power strip. That way I only need one plug adapter for a variety of chargers and what not.

My favorite new travel mug is the Hydro Flask that has an outstandin, easy to clean coffee lid that also doubles very nicely for cold drinks and the opening is sized for most straws. This flak keeps stuff hot or cold forever. While the coffee lid isn't leakproof it is pretty close. I put a flask with ice tea in the front pocket of my TriStar and put it in my car. Somewhere along the 3 hour drive the bag tipped over but not a drop spilled.
    Last edited by ceb; 03-06-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    Darcy likes this.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Ellinger's kitchenware and serving ware, looks like new after ten years' hard use.

Red Oxx Aviator duffle bags. Their briefcases and carryons don't hold a candle to Tom's, but this big, cheap, tough duffle for cramming full of muddy work gear can't be beat.

The Pilot Varsity disposable fountain pen may have saved my marriage. Never had a fountain pen leak ruin a good shirt since I left the $125 pen in the desk and started carrying these around instead.

Yuengling Black & Tan, the best six pack that will give you change from a sawbuck.

Any MP3 player by Sansa when loaded with Rockbox firmware. You'll never be happy with music on your phone once you've tried this.
    Last edited by savoyard; 04-25-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by savoyard View Post
    Any MP3 player by Sansa when loaded with Rockbox firmware. You'll never be happy with music on your phone once you've tried this.
    I'll second that. I have a Sansa Fuze running Rockbox that I'm very happy with.

Shoes: Ecco
    Bike bags: Jandd
    Phones: Nokia
    Car mounts: Proclip
    Tools: Craftsman
    Outdoor wear: Mountain Hardware
    Knives: Cold Steel
    Kitchen: OXO, Lodge and Shun
    Scotch: Glenfiddich 15yr
    Tequila: Centenario>Don Julio>Patron

These are a few of my favorite things. Most I have +10yrs experience with and they are my goto brands.
    Nli likes this.
    [2003] Brain Bag (w/Snake Charmer & 3 Monolith/Brain cells) __________________________________________________ ______ "Be excellent to each other."
    - [2010] Aeronaut (w/Absolute, 1lg/2sm Packing Cubes, Travel Tray & 3D clear cube)
    - - [2013] Co-Pilot (w/ mini-'Absolute', Cache, Clear Org wallet, S.O.S., 3D Clear & mesh cubes, Passport pouch)
    - - - Small dyneema Shopbag, packing cube shoulder bag & various TB stuff (organizers, straps, whistles, etc.)

Clothing: Outlier, Rab (outerwear), Montane Lite-Speed (windshirt), Smartwool and Ibex
    Footwear: Soft Star Shoes, Darn Tough Socks

Assorted outdoor kit:
    McHale Packs (custom backpacks)
    Mountain Laurel Designs (tents/shelters & dry bags)
    TarpTent (lightweight backpacking tents)
    Exped (down mats)
    Zebralight (headlamps)
    Last edited by campfire; 04-27-2013 at 03:06 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0