Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Other Favorite Brands

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Thanks, Badger!
    I should mention that the ones I have are moccasin-style. YMMV with the other styles.

Well, the shoes I ordered arrived way faster than I anticipated. They were waiting for me when I got home today! Both pair fit perfectly, and they are super comfortable. The moccasins fit much better than the ones I ordered before. I had gaping spaces at the sides on those where the leather overlapped. These are soft, the sheepskin is warm, and I can wear them with or without socks. I hope others have been able to take advantage of the sale. I'm seriously considering going back and ordering another pair.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP, SC, BB, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, SE2, MCB, RiPad

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post

You're welcome! I hope you found some goodies you love. I too was a bit obsessed, and I too wear size 38. My width is a true medium. I traced my larger foot, then measured it, then called customer service to verify. They recommended I select a size 7U. I ordered a pair a LONG time ago in 8 (their sizing has changed since then) and I remember them being too large, so I returned them.

I got a pair of Platinum Merry Janes and Black front Purple Back smooth leather moccisans. What goodies did you end up finding?
    Your shoes sound fabulous! I've been checking the dwindling stock every day, but I haven't quite been able to commit to buying yet. I just dropped a big chunk of change on a pair of very-needed waterproof and neoprene-lined snow/rain boots, and I need to give my credit card some breathing space. I've been scouring the internet for a domestic source for these boots for months -- Aigle Parcours ISO -- and not only did I find them online, but it coincides with a lovely 20% sale, so I had to jump on it now. Of course, it's already a full blizzard outside, so I really needed those boots yesterday. Classic Ginkgo timing.

If the planets align, perhaps I can snag a pair of the Dash RunAmocs when the discount increases next week? If it's going like hotcakes though, I might have to jump on a pair of those too, soon.
    dorayme and darbs like this.

I love my SoftStar Shoes. I finally have a business casual shoe to wear to work, a running shoe, a weightlifting shoe, a lightweight walking shoe all in one shoe. The shoes are super lightweight and flexible for packing. I am inspired by the posts of people that only use their Synapse for a several week trip.

Best, thing, SoftStar is small USA company that hand makes every shoe. They are located in Corvallis, OR. Which is where my ala mater, Oregon State University is. I have the Dash Runamoc, street sole. I just ordered a trail sole on sale dash Runamoc. Will be here on Monday.
    dorayme likes this.

Looks like all of the adult size on sale shoes are gone. That was quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonsue View Post
    Looks like all of the adult size on sale shoes are gone. That was quick.
    I just checked the website and I see 240 pair of adult shoes. Are you sure you are searching under adult shoes, and not one of the other categories? I was looking under the adult and was dissapointed to see no child shoes, but later realized my error.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP, SC, BB, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, SE2, MCB, RiPad

Oops, you are correct. My mistake.

On another note, it looks like my shoes will be delivered today.

Sue
    Last edited by Canonsue; 02-09-2013 at 09:19 AM.
    Synapse 19, Co-pilot, Travel Tray, PCSB, Western Flyer, all in Dyneema, Side Effect and pouchmania

This is an interesting thread. I still have to say--that I don't think being made in China is automatically a terrible thing; or having it made here is better. It all depends on the company and its philosophy. I believe that TB's philosophy will be the same if they are located in China or India or anywhere in the world. I think, what we have lost, is transparency in general. So off my soap box!
    My favorite ones:

1. IBEX --find their wool stuff really really classy, stylish, and very comfortable and well made. Personally, like them better than even Icebreaker.

2. Shoes---Mephisto; Ecco; Dansko. Generally I find European designers far more stylish and comfortable than US ones. Especially for women. Not sure what that is about!
    3.Colonel Littleton leather goods: expensive. A bit quirky. But the goods seem unusually wonderful. I could not afford anything more than a small wallet---which I have to say has been extraordinarily good. Small but holds a ton.
    4. Levenger--circa is still my favorite system. They have become far more diffuse in their offerings, which I am not sure about...but basic stuff is great.
    Patagonia--of course, although increasingly, most if not all their stuff is made elsewhere; and sourced from all over.
    dorayme likes this.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    Well, the shoes I ordered arrived way faster than I anticipated. They were waiting for me when I got home today! Both pair fit perfectly, and they are super comfortable. The moccasins fit much better than the ones I ordered before.
    That's great to hear. I may just order myself a pair now -- I want to try them for running. It's nice that they offer a vegan version for folks who want that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingko
    I've been scouring the internet for a domestic source for these boots for months -- Aigle Parcours ISO -- and not only did I find them online, but it coincides with a lovely 20% sale, so I had to jump on it now.
    Wow, nice boots -- never even heard of them before. What's the link to the domestic source, if you don't mind sharing? I practically live in my rain boots this time of year.
    dorayme likes this.
    U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Wow, nice boots -- never even heard of them before. What's the link to the domestic source, if you don't mind sharing? I practically live in my rain boots this time of year.
    DJ Bennett sells the Aigle Parcours ISO. There's a 20% sale now going on through Feb. 13, plus an additional 10% off if you sign up for their online newsletter and get a log-in account. I've never owned the boots before, so I cannot endorse them as a good product myself, but I've read the reviews on UK Amazon and googled other reviews, and people seem impressed with the quality and longevity, so I think it's worth the splurge to try them. Customer service at DJ Bennett has been pleasant so far as well. Free shipping if it's over $250, so I got my partner a pair too. He's concerned about the length of the boot, but hey, if he doesn't like 'em, we can return his pair and then he's on his own to find his own pair of quality boots.

Shoes - Ecco. I have a pair of moc-toe boots that I bought on the first weekend trip I took with my wife after our wedding, and we celebrated our 12th anniversary a couple months ago. I wore these every day for the first couple years we were married and still wear them at least once a week, and they've held up better than every other pair of shoes I've owned. Last summer, I finally replaced my Ecco sandals that I got in college 18-19 years ago. But, I also have a soft spot for Vans slip-ons, Chuck Taylors and Doc Martens.

Clothes - When I wake up on workdays, the only choice is which of the identical navy blue Nomex shirts I'll pin my badge on, so off-hours I'm pretty casual. Levis for jeans, specifically the 559s. If I need to be fancier than a t-shirt, Lands End for "business" (like the fact that I can get most anything in a tall size - I'm a big guy) or Cubavera for casual (less choice in the tall sizes though).

Pens - I've always been a fan of the Fisher Space Pen. My Dad carried one of their "silver bullet" pens for years in his pants pocket. I love the look of it, but doesn't work well in a shirt. A couple years ago I discovered CountyComm's Embassy Pens, which are custom machined by them, but which use the Fisher cartridge. I carry one of their titanium pens in my uniform shirt every day and have a black one and a red one (with a red ink cartridge) in my Empire Builder. Solid, and a nice heft which I like. Have a steel one too, which I carried before the titanium came out (which is much lighter).

Camera Equipment - Nikon, all the way. I shot 35mm for a long time with an FM2 and an N90S, and when I got my D80 digital SLR a couple years ago, I didn't even bother buying lenses, I just kept my original "glass" (and yes, I know all the reasons why digital-specific lenses are supposed to be better with a DSLR, but I haven't had any issues).

Knives - I carry a Columbia River Knife & Tool (CRKT) M21-13 folder every day. It's not as fancy as some, but it's a solid performer. I carry its big brother M21-14 in my turnout gear too.

Computers - I've had my MacBook Pro Retina for a week, and I'm hooked - that Kool-Aid is tasty. ;-) But for PCs, Dell has done me well.

Single Malt Scotch - Is there a bad one? Seriously? But if I have to choose: Macallan, Glenmorangie (preferably the port cask Quinta Ruban) or Lagavulin.
    Darcy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    Computers - I've had my MacBook Pro Retina for a week, and I'm hooked - that Kool-Aid is tasty. ;-) But for PCs, Dell has done me well.
    I have been drooling over the 15" MacBook Pro Retina since it came out, it's one sexy computer, only I can't justify dropping that much when my first generation unibody MacBook Pro is still so dependable and zipping along pretty well for 5+ year old computer (an antique as far as computers go), I can see myself swapping out the optical drive for a solid state HD and max out the ram when it starts to feel slow and then maybe when it starts to feel slow again I will upgrade to the latest and greatest Apple creation!

More kool-aid?

Sent from my iPad
    ChrisG likes this.

This is a great thread! I can't wait to check out some of the brands listed that I haven't heard of.

Shoes - Keens, one of the few brands that fits my many foot issues from years being a professional dog walker

Other than Subaru, Apple and Smartwool, the rest of my brand loyalty is in dog gear so I guess I will list those.

Leashes - Auburn Leathercrafters and Krebs Recycle
    Collars - Lupine, Earthdog
    Dog Toys - West Paw Design, Planet Dog, Jollyball, Genuine Dog Gear
    Dog Beds - West Paw Design and Mutt Mats
    Collar Tags - Boomerang Tags, Red Dingo
    Dog Food & Treats- The Honest Kitchen, Acana and Orijen, Cloudstar, Bravo
    Dog Shampoo & Wipes - Earthbath
    Dog Performance Apparel - Ruffwear, K9 TopCoat, Horseworks Canine Cool Coat
    Dog Bowls - Basis USA made stainless steel, Fiestaware
    Dog Seatbelt - Champion K9 System
    Supplements - Nordic Naturals, Animal Apawthecary, Animal Essentials
    Clean Up - Poopbags.com, Nature's Miracle
    darbs likes this.

For bag needs not served by Tom Bihn, Maxpedition.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by ClickerACD View Post
    Dog Food & Treats- The Honest Kitchen
    Thanks for this...my two dogs are balking at their current food and I need to find something more palatable for them.
    --------------------------------

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0