Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Non-shopping-related Black Friday activities

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    I have never braved the stores for Black Friday sales. Now I'm scared to. I would have my kids in tow, and that just doesn't sound like a smart idea. We don't need to anyway, we already secured BF prices for the boy's presents, new bikes from our LBS. Z's present is going to be a crafting extravaganza. She LOVES to doodle, cut, collage, etc. I've been gathering 5 year old proof art supplies and am following lacyfinn's Purse With Purpose gift (IMHO it is probably the most awesomist gift ever!) accompanied with a few My Little Ponies, her other favorite thing.

At this stage, it's mostly other family member's presents to get in order and I'm making many of them.

I believe on BF I will be crafting with the kids and possibly watching some Netflix with cocoa, popcorn and a fire, just not all at once
    I really, really like TB Bags!

We pretty do all of our holiday shopping online since our families live over 2,000 miles away—and because my parents do love them a fruit basket this time of year. We have no real need to go shopping on Black Friday. But also: the people; dear Lord, the people. The mall in our town is the biggest in this whole part of the state, so shoppers will be streaming in from many other places. I think it would be an exercise in self-torture to venture out.

Like many of you, our Black Friday activities revolve around sleeping, relaxing, and eating. The eating is especially enjoyable for me, since I cook the entire Thanksgiving meal myself. By the time everything is done tomorrow, I won't actually want to eat very much of it. Friday will be a different story. The Epic Sandwiches will be Epic in nature, the corgis will be cheerful, and drinks will be poured promptly at noon, when poor Kiddo (who is being dragged on a Black Friday shopping expedition) arrives, all shell-shocked and haunted about the eyes. Our big plans: drink too much in grand Midwestern style and finish a large-scale (for fun) writing project that we've been dying to complete. Mrs B. will descend on occasion, judge silently, and urge us to drink water.

Pictures of Epic Sandwiches to follow.

Epic Sandwiches, indeed. We're making cranberry sauce only because we need some for the Thanksgiving Sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by tCook View Post
    Epic Sandwiches, indeed. We're making cranberry sauce only because we need some for the Thanksgiving Sandwich.
    Okay, here's my shameful confession for the day: I make cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving dinner, but for the Epic Sandwiches, we use jellied cranberry sauce from a can. The kind you slice into slightly wet, uneven rounds and smash on top of the turkey, but underneath the stuffing.

I feel like this might be a slim notch above putting Suddenly SALAD on your sandwich, but I like it and sort of don't care.

Haha! Badger, I made the fancy stuff one year and my Mom was all pissed off because I didn't buy the canned stuff. She likes those round slices best!

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Okay, here's my shameful confession for the day: I make cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving dinner, but for the Epic Sandwiches, we use jellied cranberry sauce from a can. The kind you slice into slightly wet, uneven rounds and smash on top of the turkey, but underneath the stuffing.

I feel like this might be a slim notch above putting Suddenly SALAD on your sandwich, but I like it and sort of don't care.
    Own it! People like what they like, and that's fine with me. If it makes you feel better, here's my confession: I made straight-up Stove Top for our sandwiches last weekend, and then ate it cold for pre-breakfast. Libby is making bacon, leek, and apple stuffing for dinner on Friday.

Working! Also today, on Thanksgiving - it's not a holiday here, but a bunch of the local Americans are having a holiday dinner tonight. One guy works with a restaurant to help them produce a proper Thanksgiving feast. So I will leave work early, work out (the Holiday Challenge begins today!) and make cranberry sauce to take to the dinner. The local place does a great turkey, but their concept of cranberry sauce, in previous years, has been ..... odd.
    Darcy likes this.

Own it! People like what they like, and that's fine with me. If it makes you feel better, here's my confession: I made straight-up Stove Top for our sandwiches last weekend, and then ate it cold for pre-breakfast. Libby is making bacon, leek, and apple stuffing for dinner on Friday.
    Stove Top stuffing is delicious; I have no idea what you're talking about. haha

To my credit, I make the cornbread for the stuffing from scratch. It involves so much bacon. And maybe two sticks of butter (I've tried making it with less, and it's just not the same . . .).

Last night, I put together a cranberry sauce with locally-distilled dessert wine, lemon zest, and a cinnamon stick. It's--okay, I guess, but it's no Ocean Spray.

Happy Thanksgiving, forum friends and Tom Bihn folks, from all of us in the Badger den. Here's to safe travels, family and friends, and no alcohol poisoning due to the stress of the aforementioned travels and/or family and friends.

Briefly: Ravenous corgis.

(Temporarily) Sated corgi.

Epic Sandwich.

And, we killed a bottle of my favorite gin.

nsh likes this.

You're not kidding with that sandwich! Nice work! The cranberry sauce Libby made is so wonderful we've just been dipping the (homemade) bread in it.

You're not kidding with that sandwich! Nice work! The cranberry sauce Libby made is so wonderful we've just been dipping the (homemade) bread in it.
    Thanks—I'm pretty proud of it. Kiddo suggested using the stuffing AS the bread (sort of like the post-Thanksgiving version of that one chicken sandwich that uses chicken as the bun, or something?). Um. Maybe next year.

I would be interested in the sauce recipe. Want to PM it to me?

Forget the sandwich. The GIN!

Quote Originally Posted by nukediver View Post
    Forget the sandwich. The GIN!
    Moment of truth: we didn't actually drink the whole bottle; however, I thought there was only a little bit left but it ended up being like 3/4 of a 12-ounce glass each. This was on top of the Apple Pie liqueur and a ginormous bottle of Arrogant Bastard. Remarkably, I feel fine today.

How was the Corsendonk, btw?
    Last edited by Badger; 11-24-2012 at 07:45 PM. Reason: forgot to ask about beer :(

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Moment of truth: we didn't actually drink the whole bottle; however, I thought there was only a little bit left but it ended up being like 3/4 of a 12-ounce glass each. This was on top of the Apple Pie liqueur and a ginormous bottle of Arrogant Bastard. Remarkably, I feel fine today.

How was the Corsendonk, btw?
    Quite delicious! I have another bottle in the fridge, right next to the Dogfish Head Faithfull. I'm hoping to restock the beer next weekend with a trip to the Dogfish Head brewery :-)

Ooh, Dogfish Head. I'm not sure what's up with their distribution, but it's become super hard to get Dogfish Head out here, which is quite the pity because the Indian Brown Ale was a fave of mine.

I was browsing the website and see that they distill gin. Have you tried it? Maybe you'll have an opportunity when you make your pilgrimage next weekend (skulks away jealously).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0