Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By nukediver
  • 2 Post By Lani

Thread: Dry Sheets

Dry Sheets

Has anyone used the Dry Sheets, which I've seen advertised at Travel Accessory stores and catalogues, and come in 5 types: Shampoo, Conditioner, Body Wash, Hand Soap, and Shaving Cream? Any reviews??
    Thanks,
    richard
    Owner, Fool On The Hill Recording, Nashville TN

There are two brands I know of that look exactly the same: "Travelon" and "Sea and Summit." The Travelon ones have more fragrance so I prefer the ones made by Sea and Summit.

There's a sixth one, made for hand laundry, which I use and like. I take the shaving ones as a back up should I run out of shaving oil. The rest, in my opinion, aren't worth it and don't work well. I don't camp but I have tried them traveling. Very difficult to shower and use the shampoo, conditioner and body wash ones without getting the entire pack wet which ruins them. The hand ones might be okay in a pinch but I prefer take a travel size container of hand sanitizer instead.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Hi rlandis, yes I have used them. I think they're a great idea, and I've found them to be very useful. That being said, I will warn you - do NOT try to slip one of the tiny sheets out if your hands are the least bit wet, or you will end up with one *sheet* instead of many individual sheets. Go ahead, ask me how I know....

I've tried the Sea and Summit ones, which REI carries. They're really nifty in theory but I found them to be very poor substitutes. You need to use several sheets of the shampoo sheets to get any lather, and you have to be real careful to extract the sheets before your hands are even remotely moist, because they stick together like envelope glue. I haven't tried the shaving sheet.

I use a Japanese scrub cloth (Salux), and the soap sheets are worthless. They just cling to the scrub cloth, don't lather up much, and are a pain to rinse out of the cloth.

They're good in theory, but far from good in real use.

Some options:

- If you are trying to minimize the carrying of liquids, consider using soap bars. Soap retailer LUSH sells shampoo bars (and you can buy little tins there to put them in, or you can cut up a small piece and put it in a Mini Altoids tin--LUSH shampoo bars last the equivalent of a full-sized bottle of shampoo so you don't need to carry a full bar). You can get a great lather from those for shaving (or you can try shaving oil, like Frank recommends--my husband tried it, but he's got a hairy face and found the razor very difficult to clean between strokes because the oil and hair got stuck between blades and he needed a ton of water to rinse them out).

- If you are trying to lighten your load as much as possible, consider decanting your liquids into small 1-ounce bottles, and slowly toss each of the bottles out as you use them up. That way you aren't traveling with a bunch of half-full bottles in your 3-1-1 kit.

There are a few really fantastic alternatives for soap products, by the way.

For overall washing, give Dr. Bronner's liquid soap a try. As the label touts, there are really 101 uses for it. Including washing your clothes in it, if you want. Shampoo, body soap, shaving soap, etc. And the original peppermint version is quite invigorating (you can even add a few drops to a washcloth to wipe your face on the plane and you'll feel refreshed).

If you want to carry a small ziploc baggie (or better yet, smaller ones you can get at pharmacies or hobby shops) of Charlie's Soap. OMG that is the BEST laundry soap. No dyes, no perfumes. All you need is a tablespoon to wash an entire machine load's worth. Just take a bit of it and it will last your entire trip. If you'd rather avoid carrying a little pack of powder, you can take Purel Laundry Sheets with you. I cut them into strips of 3 for smaller loads.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Lani, like your husband I have a heavy beard and found the shaving oil clogged my razor. Then someone suggested I put a little water in the sink, use the stopper, and add some soap. I shake the clogged razor in the soapy water and it clears the blades.

It also depends on the type of shaving oil used. I find Pacific Shaving Oil clogs less than Somersets or King of Shaves.

I agree Dr. Bronner's soap is great. I prefer the unscented version and get them in TSA approved 2 oz bottles.
    Last edited by Frank II; 11-12-2012 at 10:31 PM.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Thank you all for those great answers. I'm planning a trip to Italy, to hike and "cavort", and I'm trying to become a 1 bag traveler.
    Owner, Fool On The Hill Recording, Nashville TN

i second the shampoo bar and dr bronners suggestions!

my personal favorite shampoo bars are from chagrin valley soap and salve (Home : Chagrin Valley Soap and Salve) and come in sample size if you want to give a few different ones a try. rosemary mint and coconut are both excellent, and i use them for body washin' and sink laundry, too (can't vouch for shaving, unfortch; i like to embrace my inner wookiee). the lush bars are great and come with their own clever little tin, but some of the fragrances can be a little much for sensitive skin-havers like yours truly.

All in favor say aye. Aye!

Bronners is great, you can even brush your teeth with it although I prefer tooth powder. Purex sheets are also great and won't leak in your suitcase; they are an integral part of my kit...never thought of cutting them in strips, thanks for the insight.

+1 for the good Dr. I found that a 2 oz bottle was great for our overseas trip last winter for clothes and dish washing and the occasional shower (I supplemented with hotel bars of soap from time to time). And I'm a big fan of the Purex sheets--I agree with Lani to cut them down, especially if you're using a smaller (i.e., Euro-sized) washing machine.

@capncat, I also like Chagrin Valley. Like you, I like Lush but some of the scents get to me (also, sodium lauryl sulfate; really, Lush? really?). The Chagrin Valley soaps work well and dry easily so you can pack them up in a baggie and take them from place to place with no problem.

I always carry a slice of shampoo bar from Chagrin Valley, and it works well for me. Hubby carries the shaving bar from Chagrin Valley, along with their shaving brush to make it foam up. Nice, but probably not what you're looking for if you're short on space.

Dr Bronners also has a permanent spot in my travel kit. Love it!
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

Hi, just wondering if the rules have changed regarding razors. I have been told they must go in checked luggage so I'm interested to know how people get around that with carryon only.

Cheers

Loose razor blades need to go into checked luggage. Regular safety razors and disposable ones can be taken in your carry-on. Razor blade cartridges can also be taken in carry-on.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0