Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard Suggestions

I have a Verbatim folding wireless bluetooth keyboard that I'm not very fond of. I would like to find something similar tin size and weight of the Apple Wireless keyboard, but that can be used on Android and doesn't need a Mac for set up.

I would consider something even smaller or lighter but not one of the mini ones that are only useable with thumbs.

Suggestions?
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Frank
    I have used the Mac KB with Windows machines,are you sure it won't work with Android?
    The drivers are supposed to be pretty much universal so I would think it might work.

I have a feeling that if it won't work then most others won't either?

Is this for a Phone or larger Tablet?

Ed

AV Service. i was only going by the Apple website requirements for their Bluetooth Keyboard.

They claim you have to have a Mac. I heard that it can be configured on a PC but Mac doesn't support it.

I was wondering if anyone had any actual experience using it on an Android tablet.

I, too, thought most bluetooth was universal but I'm no techie so I'm asking the question.

I recently saw this and I'm thinking it may work:

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Ultra-Bl...tooth+Keyboard
    Last edited by Frank II; 10-26-2012 at 04:59 PM.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Volunteer Moderator
    Frank,

I expect that Jeffmac will weigh in here, but there are currently limited options for truly portable and light-weight keyboards that are optimized for typing. I usually use the Apple Wireless Keyboard. I think it works with PCs and the Nexus tablets without requiring a Mac to set up. However, if you want a lighter weight and less expensive alternative that many people like, you can try the AmazonBasics Bluetooth Keyboard (Product Dimensions: 10.4 x 4.6 x 0.7 inches; 9.6 ounces). There are customer comments that the model for the iPhone and iPad will also work with Android devices if you pair with a 1234 PIN code. However, there is also a model that is marketed for the Kindle Fire, that may be of more interest.

My issue with devices like the Verbatim folding keyboard is that the key layout is driven by where it's convenient to place folds -- not by where users would naturally place their fingers to type. There hasn't been a really good, ergonomically designed, folding Bluetooth keyboard since the Think Outiside Stowaway keyboards, which do work with the iOS devices if you can find one. But the company and product line were bought by iGo, who decided to later drop the line of keyboards as less profitable, concentrate on mobile power and battery products, and sold off the design rights to a Japanese company in 2008, which is when the last Stowaway keyboards were manufactured. This was over a year before the iPhone supported use with Bluetooth keyboards, and the Stowaway models were found to be compatible with the iPhone and iPad.

There's a Kickstarter project for a light weight folding keyboard with ergonomic design called the Jorno Keyboard. This just closed, and they hope to deliver the product in April 2013. The decice is compact, and will support both Android and iOS devices. (Dimensions: Folded: 3.5 x 3.5 x 1.2 in (88.9 x 88.9 x 30.5 mm)
    Unfolded: 8.5 x 3.5 x 0.3 in (215.9 x 88.9 x 7.6 mm)
    Weight: 8.8 oz (240.5g)
    Lani and Jeffmac are backers. So am I. But if it delivers, it won't be for some months.

If you have small hands, I can recommend the IOGear Multi-Link Bluetooth Keyboard. (Product Dimensions: 4.5 x 9.1 x 0.6 inches ; 5.6 ounces). It's possible to touch-type at speed on this if your hands are small, and it's about the length of an iPad and 60% it's height. It can fit in a handbag! And it can be paired with up to 6 Bluetooth devices. It does use a PC layout, but you can remap it if you pair it to a Mac. Lightweight plastic, but OK construction for the price, which is under $40. But this is only acceptable if you have small hands. And the Apple Wireless Keyboard is a sturdier, long-term investment.

HTH. moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 10-26-2012 at 05:09 PM.

Frank

Again,what Android device are you talking about?

Best Nexus 7 Bluetooth Keyboards

Ed

AVService...that article was helpful as my tablet is the Nexus 7.

Thanks Moriond, for the info. My feelings about the Verbatim keyboard are the same as yours. The AmazonBasics one seems too small.

BTW--can anyone give me the weight and dimensions of the Apple Wireless keyboard? I can't seem to find them anywhere.
    Last edited by Frank II; 10-26-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Zagg (zagg.com) makes/has a really nice wireless keyboard (zagg solo) which will work with both iOS and android devices. I have a Zagg folio for iPad and use the keyboard separately without the rest of the case as I do not particularly like the case. The keyboard by itself is a bit smaller than a full size ipad and weighs much less. I believe the specs are on the site. the keyboard is as good to type on as the apple wireless keyboard. the price for the keyboard is about the same as that of the apple keyboard ($70).

Thanks rabergnc....on my board, someone suggested the Zagg Flex. That seems exactly what I'm looking for. And, according to its website, Target is supposed to have them in my local store so I can check it out before buying online for a lot less.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0