• 1 Post By Janine
  • 1 Post By backpack

Thread: Watch out, friend!

Watch out, friend!

Look what I found in the ladies' room at work:

Name:  8125204950_f51faecd9d.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  130.5 KB
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Suddenly Chee!
    Janine likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    @Janine, @TavaPeak, @Katy Badgers are resilient. Did you see the response to the comments about the ginormous crocodiles that could easily have made a meal of several badgers (shown in the Costa Rica travel thread?)

Besides, they've already had experience dealing with snakes. LOL.

moriond

Still, we should perhaps set up sanctuaries, just in case. If the Badgers are not picky, I know of a few hiding places in South East Florida. Oh, wait - we are home to ginormous alligators

Here's how I read this: "Hunting" is an adjective, not a verb. So the badger in question is a hunting badger. Hunting what, you say?: Tacos.

Nice try at morphological re-engineering, Badger. But they're verbs: Hunting. Badger. (Don't make me report you to P.O.E.M.)

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Here's how I read this: "Hunting" is an adjective, not a verb. So the badger in question is a hunting badger. Hunting what, you say?: Tacos.
    I don't think tacos are the natural prey of any animal, but that would be a useful evolutionary adaptation.

I'm actually more interested in how the badger goes about hunting, whether it's tacos or something else. Is it something like this (NSFW!)?

(EXTRA WARNING! That video is chock full of inappropriate hilarity and I apologize in advance to everyone who will be offended by it.)

((EXTRA EXTRA WARNING! Lots of bad language. Sorry, folks.)
    Last edited by Janine; 10-28-2012 at 07:24 PM.
    snowbot likes this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

You were sure right about the language! But aside from that, what a great video! The part about the cobra is amazing. What a resilient animal! No taco stands a chance against the fearless badger!
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

That video makes me laugh every time I see it. I keep flashing back to my childhood, back in the mythical days before Discovery Channel and Animal Planet, when my dad could fill any time, day or night, with some kind of animal documentary. What the narrator is saying is exactly what was going on in my 7-year-old mind (minus all the expletives, of course) while watching lions take down a zebra or elephants stomping the stuffing out of a hyena: "EW, nasty!" I was always rooting for one of the animals to be the undisputed champion of the animal kingdom but you know how those films are balanced. There must be drama! There must be life-threatening danger! If only I had known about honey badgers back then, who are so tough they can eat the cobra who just bit them and then snack on some bee larva tacos, it would have made those endless Sunday afternoons a little more entertaining.

Many animals shows, especially involving U.S animals, were staged with captive animals.

Even the very recent Frozen Planet has staged footage. The mother cub in her den is one example. There is no justification for this, since we know the miserable life animals in entertainment are subjected to.

Filming is a deadline business, starving or the threat of violence is a great incentive to move from one place to another. Despicable!

We don't need to see animals in their dens and close up footage can be obtained by robot cams on wheels. They were used with Polar Bears, protected by heavy duty white covers and the bears found them non threatening even fun to play with.
    Elephants had cams hiden in fake solid waste. They didn't found them threatening even if they realized what they were.

The bottom line is cameras in caches or remotely operated always show true behaviour.

People operated cameras can show amazing footage, provided the person habituate the animals, especially the most intelligent or stay hidden to become part of the landscape.

Just like any field work, It is gruelling, but animals deserve as much.

Passionate about animals, as you can see, They can't talk or write but, I sure can!

PS: Badgers have a lot of attitude, I like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    I keep flashing back to my childhood....
    Yes, it was Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and Wild, Wild, World or Animals for me! Hours and hours of animal documentaries.
    This video was just hilarious! I agree about "What the narrator is saying is exactly what was going on in my 7-year-old mind (minus all the expletives, of course)"! He certainly has a way of saying things in a way that Marlin Perkins and William Conrad never could have! I love the part where the badger passes out temporarily then gets up like nothing happened. Thanks for sharing it! Great fun!
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Volunteer Moderator
    There's a great video presentation that David Attenborough gave to the Royal Society for his Faraday Prize Lecture in 2004 called "Perception, deception and reality" where he speaks of trying to present the first televised programs about birds and animals in their natural habitats for the BBC. They took down the original streams in 2006, but a quick search today shows that (with more bandwidth and storage), the program is available at http://royalsociety.org/events/2004/...ion-deception/. It runs for a little over an hour, after you get past the first 3 minutes of the introducer.

The Guardian this week has a podcast celebrating Attenborough's 60 years of bringing nature into our living rooms.

moriond

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0