Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: EDC Notebooks

ceb
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    FYI: A5 Arc notebooks fit inside the Field Journal Notebook, just sayin...
    Can you explain that a bit farther? Do you mean that the ARC paper fits on the three loops or that one removes the binder rings and replaces it with one of the thing ARC covers?
    Last edited by ceb; 02-24-2013 at 07:58 PM.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    Can you explain that a bit farther? Do you mean that the ARC paper fits on the three loops or that one removes the binder rings and replaces it with one of the thing ARC covers?
    It will be easier to understand if you read that short thread.

Looking for a field journal

Another poster wondered if an A5 Arc would fit inside the FJN without the binder rings and it does.

I can also fit a Junior size and A5 size notepad in the FJN in addition to the ring binders.

Hope this help!

I'm a big fan of ARC/Levenger but they aren't the easiest to fit into bags.
    I use Atoma ring bound notebooks of various sizes in various bags - a baby notebook in my SCB to A4 in my Ego and the ipad cadet. The landscape oriented bags are easy but inserting a ring bound book in a full bag in 'portrait' mode can be tricky (eg "our" ipad ristretto ... which I can rarely get my hands on anyway....)
    List under construction ....

ceb

Another poster wondered if an A5 Arc would fit inside the FJN without the binder rings and it does.

I can also fit a Junior size and A5 size notepad in the FJN in addition to the ring binders.

Hope this help!
    Thank you so much - and damn you too Now I have to spend more money.

@Ms.Ferret- Very Nice!

Where did you purchase the blue cord and the leather?

ceb

Hope this help!
    Reading the review and watching the video just left me open to other questions.

How do you affix the ARC to the FJN? It seems that the 3 ring binder is held in place by the plastic piece that fits into the elastic indentations.

Perhaps TB could come up with a plastic sheet that has the notches (for the indentations) on one side and is notched for ARC rings in the other. Am I overlooking something? I guess I could always go back to DayTimer.

Reading the review and watching the video just left me open to other questions.

How do you affix the ARC to the FJN? It seems that the 3 ring binder is held in place by the plastic piece that fits into the elastic indentations.

Perhaps TB could come up with a plastic sheet that has the notches (for the indentations) on one side and is notched for ARC rings in the other. Am I overlooking something? I guess I could always go back to DayTimer.

Another forum member actually uses the Arc with the FJN, here is what she has to say:

bbcamp:
    " I use the FNJ with an A5 notebook I bought in Germany. I took out the Tom Binh rings, and just slip one side of the cover of my notebook into the pocket under the pen holders. It holds tightly, and I just let the cover on the other side hang loose.
    Your Arc notebook ought to fit, too. I did this because I already use European A5 paper, and didn't want to have to stock/buy another size of paper."
    Last edited by backpack; 02-27-2013 at 03:21 PM.

ceb
    Hmmm. I wonder where my response went.

It sounds like you just slide the front cover of the ARC under the pen pocket.

Does the FJN fit into the front section of the Western Flyer without bulging it out too much? Standing on end it should fit in front even with the center divider zipped up or am I calculating sizes wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Tlacltme View Post
    @Ms.Ferret- Very Nice!

Where did you purchase the blue cord and the leather?
    Thanks! The leather is pretty much the cheapest tooling vegetable-tanned stuff I could get at Tandy leather. The original cord I used was some blue glitter beading elastic I got from Joann Fabrics, but later I bought a beading elastic sampler off Etsy and picked the color I liked best. I'm going to go with thicker elastic for the larger one I'm doing -- the 1mm beading elastic is so thin that I had to double up on it.

I own several "clip in" notebooks by Roterfaden. Just spectacularly versatile.
    My notebooks are either A5 or A6 size. A5 for work, A6 in my ECB.

Here's an example:
    Name:  beziehung2.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  132.1 KB

For years I have been carrying pens and paper (notebooks) with me but I have recently tried to scale down what I carry on an everyday basis as I often get neck/back ache.
    I am now using a system called X47 from Germany (the A6 Organizer Expert) which can hold up to 4 notebooks, including a calendar, so no need to carry one separately - big bonus if you want to downsize!
    I bought an organiser with 3 rods in it, and then I got one extra rod in case I need/want to carry 4 notebooks with me. Currently, 3 rods have proven to be enough: one rod holds a calendar (1 week on 2 pages), the other 2 rods hold one lined notebook and one 'grid' notebook.
    When I need a larger notebook I use either Leuchtturm 1917 or a Guildhall notebook, both in A5 format, but I don't carry those with me on a daily basis anymore since getting the X47 - and my neck is thanking me
    Bags: Aeronaut Crimson/Steel w Absolute Shoulder Strap & Packing Cubes: EndPocket, L Steel, S Steel x2. Synapse Bl/UV, Co-Pilot St/Iberian Dyneema. Smart Alec Bl/Bl/St, Snake Charmer Bl
    Cubes: 3D Clear Org Cube x2, Clear QPC in Iberian w Shoulder Strap,
    Pouches: Mini x2, Small x2, Small Clear x1, M Clear x3, L Clear x1, Pencil Clear x2
    Other: Guardian Light, 16" Key str x3, Handle Loop x2, Ultrasuede Strap Wrap

These look amazing; I can't find them anywhere in the US. Do you know if they are available anywhere here?

Field Notes and Travelers Notebook

Field notes are my favorite for EDC and just throwing in your pocket.

Used to use Moleskine a while back but my favorite now is the Midori Travelers notebook in both regular and passport size.

Quote Originally Posted by rlandis View Post
    I produce records for a living (although sadly, they are not called that anymore). Each project consists of "tracking" the basic arrangement with a band, followed by several months of "overdubbing", editing, and finally, "mixing." There are extensive notes taken daily, as the project morphs, and I take them in a large ruled Moleskin, which, upon completion, I give to the artist as a momento of the project.

I found this company which engraves a leather binder for Moleskins, either from their library of art, or any graphic you send them. Here's a picture of my elephant, who helps me remember what I need to do next.Attachment 2795
    Where is this company that engraves the leather like that? Would you mind sharing their contact info/URL?

Thank you!

They're from Grove. I'd been ogling these covers for awhile...haven't gotten one (yet).
    Leather Notebook Covers for Moleskine Journals | Grove

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0