Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: EDC Notebooks

Quote Originally Posted by lotuseater View Post
    Having put myself on a bag weightloss program lately, downsizing from a Tri-Star to a Western Flyer, and an Empire Builder to a 15/13 Cadet, the Field Journal would be a step in the wrong direction for my business travel. Certainly the organization of ring binder systems like the Field Journal and Filofax appeal, but I find that the Leuchtturm 1917 a reasonable compromise. Enough space to write comfortably, better quality paper than Moleskine, numbered pages, an index at the front, and no bleed through with fountain pens.

Speaking of which, the pen I want to like most is the Rotring Initial, however the plastic barrel keeps coming unthreaded from the metal grip (or whatever the oojamaflip is called). Mostly, I take a Lamy Safari on the road with me, as it wouldn't pain me too much to replace a lost one.

I completely understand sizing down everything, I wish I could, I just got a Travel Dyneema Aeronaute which is lighter than Ballistic but I need the space to house the clothes that cover my big frame.

You cannot go wrong with the Safari, lightweight workhorse pen, the Vista (clear version) is even better as it looks like a disposable but write great with the wonderful ballpoint and rollerball refills, the mechanical pencil and the fountain pens are also great.

The part that hold the nib and that one holds when writing with a fountain pen is called the section.

I am kind of wondering if I should bring my FJN with me on trips, it is Cordura, hence gorgeous, and also heavy, I wish Tom and the Crew made one in Travel Dyneema.

But says my inner little girl voice: "it is the perfect travel journal, you will regret it if you don't take it!"
    I know says my grown up and reasonable voice.

Of all the things I am thinking of packing the FJN is really the only tough one, because everything else, I can get elsewhere but not him, I gave it a gender derived from French Le Field Journal Notebook.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I completely understand sizing down everything, I wish I could, I just got a Travel Dyneema Aeronaute which is lighter than Ballistic but I need the space...
    When I'm not flying for work, my way of decompressing is to go into the backcountry, and get off the grid for a few days. I started weighing all my backpacking equipment and cutting back to the bare essentials. I'm now doing that for work travel too. But I discovered it's possible to go too far. Like forgetting to pack a laptop power supply, or justifying why I'll leave my workout gear behind so I can pack an extra sweater.

You cannot go wrong with the Safari, lightweight workhorse pen, the Vista (clear version) is even better as it looks like a disposable but write great with the wonderful ballpoint and rollerball refills, the mechanical pencil and the fountain pens are also great.
    Uh oh. Must resist looking at other pens. The last thing I need is another obsession.

The part that hold the nib and that one holds when writing with a fountain pen is called the section.
    Thank you, backpack - I learned something today :-)

I am kind of wondering if I should bring my FJN with me on trips, it is Cordura, hence gorgeous, and also heavy, I wish Tom and the Crew made one in Travel Dyneema.
    Slippery is good for some things - like sliding a bag in and out of an overhead bin - but I'm not so sure it'd be a good idea for the FJN. However, if Tom is willing to prototype one, I may reconsider my notebook choice.
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

Quote Originally Posted by backpack

Lotuseater
    Uh oh. Must resist looking at other pens. The last thing I need is another obsession.

I only mentioned them because they are reasonably priced workhorses, even the refills work great. I have the original refills on my 10 years old blue Lamy Safari set (ballpoint, rollerball, pencil and fountain pen) I splurged that time and a year later got another blue Safari fountain pen with a bold nib!

They are standard color but I love that set so much, it is my Safari stay at home set and I got Vista (clear Safari) fountain pens for EDC. When budget permit I will add the Vista pencil, ballpoint and rollerball.

Quote Originally Posted by r.p.barnes View Post
    My main book now is a midori travellers notebook, fountain pen friendly paper is a necessity for me.. I enjoy writing with my Namiki vanishing point Raden pen with what must be one of the best inks (Pilot Irsohizuku Tsuki-Yo).
    Anyway I digress, lol. The other books i own are all good for fountain pen or indeed any other inks.
    Joint 1st place are my Midori TN (above) and the awesome notebooks handmade by Design-Y
    Rhodia web notebooks are very good quality too. I do not like Moleskines as they don't like fountain pen ink like the others do.
    I recently learned of the Midori Traveller system and it looks awesome and beautifully customizable. I hacked out a ghetto DIY version (sized for 3.5" x 5.5" notebooks like Doane paper/Field Notes/Banditapple Carnet Peewee) from some tooling veg-tan I had laying around ("I'm going to make that axe sheath any day now, really I am") + some turquoise glitter elastic I got at Joann, and it fits nicely in the largest inside pocket of my Large Cafe bag (I have to more or less butter my Rhodiarama to get it into a pocket).

I love that the elastic makes it easy to attach differently-sized notebooks, like the tiny Rhodia 3" x 4.75" graph
    (I have one of these and a 3.5" x 5.5" Doane in my fauxdori right now). May try it again with a better-quality better-finished piece of hide (because I WILL avoid paying money for a notebook cover by spending way more on DIY equipment instead, LOL).

I learned about the Midori Traveler's notebook from r.p.barnes, here on the forums. So, of course, I had to get one. Oh my, but I love it! I bought the original size (8.5 X 5) in brown. Inside, I have kept things relatively simple: I have a lined note book, a zipper pocket, and a kraft paper folder. I put stuff that I can't afford to lose in the zipper pocket and my receipts go into the kraft paper folder. It is a wonderfully simple, totally customizable system. I bought my notebook from a Japanese shopping site, Rakuten - the price, including shipping, was better than any of the North American sites. Alternatively, check out the Midori Traveler's Notebook site - all of the products, instructions, news... My notebook lives in the back pocket of my SCB.
    Last edited by 123veo; 02-17-2013 at 09:57 AM.

I've been using Levenger Circa/Staples Arc notebooks - I like the ability to change the order of pages, but have been finding that the rings get in the way of writing on the back side of the page.

I have been looking at the Leuchtturm 1917 recently - I have a Quo Vadis Habana (which is great, but they are a bit expensive) and I also like the Leuchtturm index idea.

For those looking into DIY Midori/Pelle type leather covers with elastic ties, here's a helpful video.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    My two Leuchtturm1917 notebooks arrived today. They look excellent... all I need is something to write! They're a bit thicker and heavier than I expected, but lovely quality.

I've written about Leuchtturm1917 before - I find them incredibly thoughtfully made. The extra width (15mm or so) over Moleskine makes the large notebooks that much easier to write in. The dotted paper is the most versatile, but I really like how, if you buy the plain notebooks, they include a guide sheet that is lined on one side and a grid on the other. And the pen loop accessory is brilliant for those of us who want a way of affixing a pen to the notebook.

Eric, if you find the hard cover Leuchtturm1917s bulky, try one of the soft cover versions. Same quality construction, but easier to slide into a smaller space.

You cannot go wrong with the Safari, lightweight workhorse pen
    I finally figured out that my Safari came with the fine nib, which makes my chickenscratch less than legible, sometimes even to me. This afternoon I was shown how easy it is to replace the nibs. I bought both the medium and broad nibs, and am experimenting with the latter right now. It feels more natural. The best part was I didn't have to buy new pens - each nib cost me something like $13. Now to make sure I store the extras somewhere I don't lose them...

you people are nothing but a bad influence!! I recently purchased a Lamy AL star rollerball pen ( the metal version of the safari with a lovely triangular grip, flattened barrel and Smoooth delivery). I can't use a fountain pen because as a leftie I push rather than pull the pen.

Now I am coveting a Midori Travelers notebook although it may be too tall and slim. I looove nice paper and it would be great to have writing paper and a sketchbook in a neat package. I use Molekine for my travel journals at the moment but really prefer Clairfontaine. I hate lines, love grids but am happiest with plain paper that lets me write and sketch in the same book. Anyone else tried Zentangles?? Now THAT is lovely paper.

ceb
    I'm a big fan of ARC/Levenger but they aren't the easiest to fit into bags.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    I'm a big fan of ARC/Levenger but they aren't the easiest to fit into bags.
    FYI: A5 Arc notebooks fit inside the Field Journal Notebook, just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by jannilee View Post
    Now I am coveting a Midori Travelers notebook although it may be too tall and slim. I looove nice paper and it would be great to have writing paper and a sketchbook in a neat package. I use Molekine for my travel journals at the moment but really prefer Clairfontaine. I hate lines, love grids but am happiest with plain paper that lets me write and sketch in the same book. Anyone else tried Zentangles?? Now THAT is lovely paper.
    Make a Midori-style cover for whatever size/type notebook you prefer! I've been pretty pleased with my ghetto DIY version, which I sized for 3.5" x 5.5" notebooks. I like gridded and plain paper, so I'm using a Doane utility notebook + Banditapple Carnet Peewee (plain). I also didn't want to pay $$ for the premade Midori cover pockets so I bought some library card pockets ($.08) and stuck them to the notebook covers with adhesive. Overall it's been great for designing (grid), sketching (plain), and shopping (I keep lists for each area/store on index cards in the library card pockets). I live in Seattle so I treated the leather with hot beeswax/neatsfoot oil to stiffen and waterproof it.

Name:  shut.jpg
Views: 2238
Size:  537.2 KBName:  side_view.jpg
Views: 1770
Size:  731.0 KB

Hmmm. Looks great. I think I'll give it a try! Thanks!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0