Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: EDC Notebooks

I produce records for a living (although sadly, they are not called that anymore). Each project consists of "tracking" the basic arrangement with a band, followed by several months of "overdubbing", editing, and finally, "mixing." There are extensive notes taken daily, as the project morphs, and I take them in a large ruled Moleskin, which, upon completion, I give to the artist as a momento of the project.

I found this company which engraves a leather binder for Moleskins, either from their library of art, or any graphic you send them. Here's a picture of my elephant, who helps me remember what I need to do next.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1766
Size:  419.7 KB
    Owner, Fool On The Hill Recording, Nashville TN

My main book now is a midori travellers notebook, fountain pen friendly paper is a necessity for me.. I enjoy writing with my Namiki vanishing point Raden pen with what must be one of the best inks (Pilot Irsohizuku Tsuki-Yo).
    Anyway I digress, lol. The other books i own are all good for fountain pen or indeed any other inks.
    Joint 1st place are my Midori TN (above) and the awesome notebooks handmade by Design-Y
    Rhodia web notebooks are very good quality too. I do not like Moleskines as they don't like fountain pen ink like the others do.

Quote Originally Posted by rlandis View Post
    Here's a picture of my elephant, who helps me remember what I need to do next.
    GORGEOUS! I love it!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Midori notebooks look lush. I've never held one in my hands, which is probably good because I don't need another obsession. :-)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Smart Alec (Black/Steel/Steel), Brain Cell (size 5), Super Ego (Black/Black/Steel), Synapse (Black/Steel), Dyneema Organizer Pouch (Steel), Travel Tray (Steel), 2011 Mystery Gift (Cork), 2012 Mystery Gift (Navy/Nordic), Organizer Wallet (Navy), Kit (Steel), 3D Clear Organizer Cube (Steel), Mesh Ballistic Organizer Pouch (Med.), Gate Keeper Straps, 2013 Mystery Gift

I use the Staples Arc notebook! I have the size kjm listed in red and it is great! I like the you can customize what you put in it. When you first load it up, you'll spend a little more, but it is great. I also like that I can easily pull the pages out. There are 3 of us in my office that use it so I convinced my boss we needed to buy the punch for it as well after somebody here (I think) recommended it.

My EDC notebook is a mini composition book available for $1 at most office supply stores or in the office supply section of larger stores. It fits in my SE along with keys, organizer wallet and checkbook.

Quote Originally Posted by KmK View Post
    I am a Rhodia person myself... Love the orange covers, love the paper, the different sizes, the durable quality of the notebook in general, and love the options for grid, dot, or blank... I have two or three in my bag at any given time. I am also a Field Notes fan-- yes, love the videos and the sturdy utility.

People at work know me by my notebook, it is funny-- "You've always got that square orange one...you're always writing in that yellow thing...what's with the orange notebook?!" What can I say? As a writer, hooooeeeeee, I love my paper!
    If you get tired of being teased about the orange covers, they have black covers with the orange logo.

I am not a big fan of the orange

I wish they made notepads in Rhodiarama colors: Turquoise, Sapphire, Iris(Nordic) , Purple, Lilac(UV), Raspberry (Azalea), Poppy(Punch) which match with my Tom Bihn bags and clothes wardrobe colors.

Color coding is also great for notes by subject, I could have one Rodhiarama A4 notepad for each of my Large Cafe Bags or Synapse (with a tentative s), housed in a matching or Steel Pouch!

You know that they also match most Lamy Safari! Especially the special editions!

So exiting!
    Last edited by backpack; 10-22-2012 at 08:50 AM.

I use fountain pens, so Moleskines don't work for me. Love the Rhodiarama notebooks for journaling/sketching -- I'm a Clairefontaine/Rhodia girl and won't accept bleedy paper.

Also, rainbow zebras!
    Attachment 2854

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Ferret View Post
    I use fountain pens, so Moleskines don't work for me. Love the Rhodiarama notebooks for journaling/sketching -- I'm a Clairefontaine/Rhodia girl and won't accept bleedy paper.

Also, rainbow zebras!
    Attachment 2854
    MsFerret, your picture didn't post but I just did an image search and I discovered that Zebra makes fountain pens.

Tom, yeah the one and only creator of those lovely bags is a Lamy user, you can see pictures of a red Safari and blue Studio in some of the pictures.
    I don't know if they are fountain pens but they could be.

Did you know that you can go on Rhodiadrive and find local retailers! Yipee!

I also use fountain pens, the under 100$ kind.

Besides matching ink, I also match my fountain pens with my Tom Bihn bags!

I have a Field Journal Notebook in Plum and I looooove it!

Field Journal Notebook - Notebook ideal for those who watercolor or use fountain pens - TOM BIHN

I need more paper refills, as they are fountain pen friendly.

I have also been using a recycled scratch pad (for non fountain pen and cheapstake post it like use) and Ampad recycled notepads.
    The scratch pad fits into the front pocket of the Field Journal Notebook and I D.I.Y something with a thin Plum headband to secure the Junior notepad on the Plastic Leaf.

I use juicy medium and bold nibs and the Ampad paper is getting on my nerve.
    I only have a couple of the notepad left, I bought them in bulk years ago in fear that recycled paper would be discontinued.
    I gave one to my ballpoint/gel pens using husband.

So now I am down to two almost new ones, time for Rhodia!

I also use Letter size/A4 notepads in my Large Pouche(s)

So exiting to find other fountain pens, stationery, Tom Bihn bags aficionados who completely understand the fascination of those 3 put together for writing, exploring, shopping, daydreaming, outdoor notetaking, journaling, planning while looking good and not having hand, shoulder or knee pain.

Quote Originally Posted by darbs View Post
    I use the Staples Arc notebook! I have the size kjm listed in red and it is great! I like the you can customize what you put in it. When you first load it up, you'll spend a little more, but it is great. I also like that I can easily pull the pages out. There are 3 of us in my office that use it so I convinced my boss we needed to buy the punch for it as well after somebody here (I think) recommended it.
    I bought a Staples ARC notebook today after work and they had them on an instant instore sale -- $6.00 off on the leather cover notebook!
    Smart Alec (Black/Steel/Steel), Brain Cell (size 5), Super Ego (Black/Black/Steel), Synapse (Black/Steel), Dyneema Organizer Pouch (Steel), Travel Tray (Steel), 2011 Mystery Gift (Cork), 2012 Mystery Gift (Navy/Nordic), Organizer Wallet (Navy), Kit (Steel), 3D Clear Organizer Cube (Steel), Mesh Ballistic Organizer Pouch (Med.), Gate Keeper Straps, 2013 Mystery Gift

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    MsFerret, your picture didn't post but I just did an image search and I discovered that Zebra makes fountain pens.

Tom, yeah the one and only creator of those lovely bags is a Lamy user, you can see pictures of a red Safari and blue Studio in some of the pictures.
    I don't know if they are fountain pens but they could be.

Did you know that you can go on Rhodiadrive and find local retailers! Yipee!

I also use fountain pens, the under 100$ kind.

Besides matching ink, I also match my fountain pens with my Tom Bihn bags!

I have a Field Journal Notebook in Plum and I looooove it!

Field Journal Notebook - Notebook ideal for those who watercolor or use fountain pens - TOM BIHN

I need more paper refills, as they are fountain pen friendly.

I have also been using a recycled scratch pad (for non fountain pen and cheapstake post it like use) and Ampad recycled notepads.
    The scratch pad fits into the front pocket of the Field Journal Notebook and I D.I.Y something with a thin Plum headband to secure the Junior notepad on the Plastic Leaf.

I use juicy medium and bold nibs and the Ampad paper is getting on my nerve.
    I only have a couple of the notepad left, I bought them in bulk years ago in fear that recycled paper would be discontinued.
    I gave one to my ballpoint/gel pens using husband.

So now I am down to two almost new ones, time for Rhodia!

I also use Letter size/A4 notepads in my Large Pouche(s)

So exiting to find other fountain pens, stationery, Tom Bihn bags aficionados who completely understand the fascination of those 3 put together for writing, exploring, shopping, daydreaming, outdoor notetaking, journaling, planning while looking good and not having hand, shoulder or knee pain.
    Unrepentant pen/stationery/bag nerds unite! The pen I use most right now is a hot pink Kaweco Sport Ice filled with matching (eye-searingly pink) Noodler's Rachmaninoff. Seriously eyeing up that Field Journal Notebook now.

Hee, the rainbow zebra I was trying to post is printed on the inside cover of the Rhodiarama. Let me try this again:

backpack and nsh like this.

I used to be a dedicated Filofax user. But the standard size paper was a little narrow, and the A5 binders took too much space in my carryon bag. I switched to Moleskine a few years back, tried Rhodia, and am now firmly in the Leuchtturm 1917 camp, for all the reasons mentioned in an earlier post on this thread. I just wish they had better distribution. The two local retailers who used to offer them now only carry Moleskine.
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

Quote Originally Posted by lotuseater View Post
    I used to be a dedicated Filofax user. But the standard size paper was a little narrow, and the A5 binders took too much space in my carryon bag. I switched to Moleskine a few years back, tried Rhodia, and am now firmly in the Leuchtturm 1917 camp, for all the reasons mentioned in an earlier post on this thread. I just wish they had better distribution. The two local retailers who used to offer them now only carry Moleskine.

Lotuseater, you neeeeeeeed a Field Journal Notebook!

I also used Filofax but the weight of the leather and the small page sizes were also a too much for me.

I have to use A5 pages for notes, anything smaller gets one or two words in, not enough for an outline or a reasonably long list.

My Plum Field Journal Notebook is a dream come true, just like I dreamed of what I wanted in a portable note taking device and somebody with a magic wand made it!

It is lightweight, yet sturdy, don't ask me how Tom and the Crew did it, I don't know.

The pure genius of the placement of the straps which allows upright writing, great asset in the field!

What kind of pens do you use Lotuseater?

Having put myself on a bag weightloss program lately, downsizing from a Tri-Star to a Western Flyer, and an Empire Builder to a 15/13 Cadet, the Field Journal would be a step in the wrong direction for my business travel. Certainly the organization of ring binder systems like the Field Journal and Filofax appeal, but I find that the Leuchtturm 1917 a reasonable compromise. Enough space to write comfortably, better quality paper than Moleskine, numbered pages, an index at the front, and no bleed through with fountain pens.

Speaking of which, the pen I want to like most is the Rotring Initial, however the plastic barrel keeps coming unthreaded from the metal grip (or whatever the oojamaflip is called). Mostly, I take a Lamy Safari on the road with me, as it wouldn't pain me too much to replace a lost one.
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0