Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: iPhone 5

London Transport had a little fun at the expense of iOS 6:

Name:  LondonTransportIOS6.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  24.8 KB
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    My iPad is staying the way it is until/if Google releases a stand-alone maps that is available in the Apple store.
    It's not up to Google, but up to Apple. Google already has an iOS 6-compatible maps app--Apple won't approve it. Apple REALLY REALLY REALLY despises Google, and is doing everything it can to shut out its competitor.

Personally between that and their move to the Lightning connector, I'm a little disappointed with Apple's business decisions for the iPhone 5. $29 for each connector adapter? Most households will probably buy one or two, but just think of all the businesses that developed their hardware to work with the original 30-pin connector. There are AUTOMOBILES that have iPhone connectors built in! Oh sure, you can use an adapter, but they aren't designed to have an extra inch stuck on the bottom of the iPhone.

I read an article with an interview from a hotel manager. Apparently they had spent something like $100 each on 500 high-end alarm clock/radio/MP3 players that were designed to work with an iPhone/iPod. That's a $50,000 investment. It's been too long that they can't return those, they don't have it in their budget to replace those, and now they have to decide what they're going to do. At $30 a pop do you include the adapter in each room and hope they don't continually disappear? Do they sell them at the counter and look cheesy/cheap?

This has such a profound impact... I realize it isn't Apple's responsibility to tell people a year in advance, but I see it as so cruel. When you're an industry leader/standard-bearer, you really have a huge responsibility, and such decisions cannot be made lightly. Personally, I think they should have either included the adapter in the box for this first generation of Lightning-using devices, or offered big discount coupons, or something. It's bad enough they chose to not use micro USBs like the rest of the industry.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

I agree with Lani. We were in Cancun recently and stayed at the Fiesta Americana. Each room had an iHome clock...close to 500 rooms. These will be fine for a few years, because not all older iPhones will suddenly disappear, but still...was this change really necessary?
    Lani likes this.
    --------------------------------

Was the change necessary? It depends who you ask. So far, 5 million Iphone 5's have been sold. Almost double the Iphone 4S. To use it with your old plugs, you'll need an adaptor. For every adaptor sold, regardless of who makes it, Apple gets a piece of the action.

Was the change necessary? No. But people will keep buying Apple products and the company will rake in tens, if not hundreds, of millions of dollars in revenue thanks to the new plug.

You'll see....when the adapter is finally released, it will go flying off the shelves.

Apple is now worth more than any other company in the world. They have lots of power to get what they want. And so far, the consumer has not started a backlash against them. Just the opposite.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Apple wants a proprietary wiring/transfert system. They have always done that, it works better and enables them to control whose secondary hardware is sold with their machines.

Apple is an inovative company, the others make bad knockoff. Voz designed everything from the ground up and subsequent programers have been of the same caliber.

Google transit maps are not very reliable, I know, I use public transit everywhere.

I have a Google phone with their Android buggy system, you would think it was designed by Micro$oft
    Just like my old Micro$oft "smart" phone, not so smart Droid, reboots itself, has an halfway responsive screen, always need to have spying apps removed and does not allow me to block unwanted calls.

Google has also taken over the latest Ubuntu OS and Firefox which we just upgraded to and it doesn't work.
    Data was lost in the upgrade and it is very slow, most probably because of all the spying going on in the background.

Like Micro$oft, it has an endless line of daily "upgrades" , which means Swiss Cheese + free OS = vulnerable.

Our 4 year old EEE PC a door stop.

We will be switching to iPhone/IPad, Mac Book Air for sure, Why get a clunky knock off when one can get the original?

My first Tom Bihn Bag, Steel Brain Bag is willing and ready to move my 11 year old iBook and another slightly older iBook, my first Large Cafe Bag in Plum has been used even more,

Either one follow the principle of bying quality the first time or regret it.

Apple doesn't need to despise Google any more than a designer despises knockoffs.

By the way, Apple had maps way before Google was even born. Yes, I am old enough to know that.

Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    I agree with Lani. We were in Cancun recently and stayed at the Fiesta Americana. Each room had an iHome clock...close to 500 rooms. These will be fine for a few years, because not all older iPhones will suddenly disappear, but still...was this change really necessary?
    From what I've read, the design change was pushed for two main reasons:
    1. The internal volume that was taken up by the old 30 pin connector was/is much higher than the space that is being taken up by the new connector.
    2. Simplicity: The 8 pin design can be put in either way. There is no "up" side or "down" side with the connector. For a company that prides itself on building simple, elegant devices, this goes in line with it.

Why don't they use Micro-USB? Micro-USB has a side requirement, plus they can break. It is very easy to break the receptor port for a micro-usb port.

I picked up the USB to Lightning cable for 20 bucks. I didn't think it was *that* unreasonable. Personally, with the size difference, I don't want to use an adapter, so when I need a connection I'll use the cable instead.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by misterN; 09-25-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Black/Steel/Wasabi Super Ego, Cardinal/Steel 15"/13" Cadet, Cardinal/Steel Aeronaut, Olive/Cayenne 13" Ristretto, Camera Insert/Outsert, Horizontal Freudian Slip, 13" MBA Cache, Brain Cell for 13" Macbook, Steel Snake Charmer, FoT/FoJ pouch, Organizer Wallet, and more organizer pouches than I can shake a stick at.

It looks like there won't be any cheap knockoff cables anytime too soon:

Don't expect cheap knockoffs of Apple iPhone's new Lightning charger - Oct. 2, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by tCook View Post
    Went with Dad to the mall today. He now owns an iPad. #stilljealous
    Your dad sounds cool!
    tCook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I have a Google phone with their Android buggy system, you would think it was designed by Micro$oft
    Just like my old Micro$oft "smart" phone, not so smart Droid, reboots itself, has an halfway responsive screen, always need to have spying apps removed and does not allow me to block unwanted calls.
    Not sure where you're finding these things to be true - I have a Galaxy Nexus and it doesn't have any of the issues you're describing. Perhaps it's just the Android model/line you have?

Google has also taken over the latest Ubuntu OS and Firefox which we just upgraded to and it doesn't work.
    Google taking over Ubuntu? Where? Link?

And are you talking about the thing of Firefox getting revenue from Google Toolbar, or something else? Again, link?

By the way, Apple had maps way before Google was even born. Yes, I am old enough to know that.
    And Symbian had maps before Apple! And Apple stole the "windowing" idea from the Xerox "Alto"! And mice, too! Oh noooo! :-)

(all true, by the way)

- Tim

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0