Tracking people in pictures

I have spent some time and money converting old family slides to digital and now I have a large collection of random file names with people who need to identified. I've organized the photos by year but as I was going to start marking the people I realized I don't have a good "system" to do so.

For example, if I see a photo of 3 cousins, how do I make note of the names for later research? I could just rename the file "joe_sally_bob_001" but that seems like a give up. I know Google Picasa has face recognition but I think that depends on a database file stored on your computer and I'd prefer to do something with the file itself so the data is not lost.

I do have Photoshop but I really don't know how to use it well beyond simple stuff.
    Owner of : Imago, Aeronaut, Brain Bag, Smart Alec, Synapse, Co-Pilot

If you have iPhoto, there is something called Faces where you can ID people and pull up pictures by the people you want in them. Very easy to use and Faces will even show you pictures that it thinks are the certain person and ask you "Is this ______?"

THere is also a "keyword" feature, so I can tag the photos "Tom Bihn", "kids" or "Kibbles" (my dog) and then set up folders so that copies of all the pictures tagged with those words go to "Smart Folders".

Very noble task you are doing.... my parents' old movies and slides and pictures are all jumbled and need to be organized soon before it is too late! Hope it all works out!
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0