Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: EDC Flashlights

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar

EDC Flashlights

Flashlights Made in USA: Overview via US Groove

We use a HDS Systems flashlight and, of course, multiple Guardian Lights. What do you guys carry?
    Last edited by Darcy; 07-13-2012 at 10:48 AM.
    U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

One of my first decent LED lights was an HDS EDC Basic 42, which I still use. More recently I have bought some 4Sevens lights, which I believe are designed in the US but manufactured in China.

I'm pretty new to the world of LED flashlights. Sounds like you know them pretty well. How do the 4Sevens compare to the HDS lights?

I carry a Fenix in one pocket and a Maratac in the other neither of which are made in USA.
    I am not sure there are many that are,I don't think Mag even is?

I also have several Pelican,Streamlight and Sure Fire,OK I have a Flashlight Fetish Too!
    Surprised?

I have never seen a flashlight I didn't like,even the ones I don't like!

Ed

Jetbeam makes some nice lights too. I don't EDC my Jet-III M, but it goes with me whenever I'm going to be out after dark.
    I do EDC a VersaTI ET10 on my keychain, which I got a really good deal on because they don't make them anymore.

I'd be interested in finding out if there are any mass-produced flashlights made in the USA too... Most of the nicer (ie: more expensive) torches have at least a few parts that are manufactured overseas, so the only truly USA made ones I know about are customs. Which are REALLY spendy.
    Ted

SuperEgo in black/steel/wasabi; Aeronaut in cardinal/steel; Horizontal Cache (2M) in charcoal; Travel Tray in Ultraviolet

I just bought a powertac e3.
    Smooth wide spill, AAA and two modes 80 lumen I think.
    Pretty nice keychain light

I carry a gerber recon led made in china. The upside is it has for rotating lenses that you cannot lose; Red, green, blue, and white.

My backup is a trusty mini mag light, made in the usa, with an led retrofit.

Both flashlights use AA batteries so I don't have to carry extra batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I'm pretty new to the world of LED flashlights. Sounds like you know them pretty well. How do the 4Sevens compare to the HDS lights?
    IMO they are both quality brands. I am no expert on this subject like the folks at Candlepower forums, but learned a bit over the years from EDC Forums as well as watching many informative You Tube videos.

My HDS light (which uses one CR123 battery) is 5-6 years old - it has a maximumn output of 42 lumens, but it's fine for my day to day uses. I don't use my lights in outdoor settings where I need real powerful lights.

My Foursevens lights are all newer than the HDS, and have a higher output due to improvements in the LED technology. Although they are made overseas, they all seem well-built and have worked fine for me - the one I use the most is the Preon 2, which is a pen style light that uses 2 AAA batteries and can fit into pen slots in many bags.

I used to carry two small flashlights, one attached to my keychain and the other was built-in in a pocketknive - but it was stolen a couple of weeks ago. Both were bought at Brookstone and were very useful as EDC. My main use was to light the mailbox at my building and to help me to find stuff fallen in my car - i.e., they were perfect for daily use. At home I have a mag flashlight, but it's too bulky to carry on my bag =)

First off, I love flashlights and probably own over 50 of them. Yes, it's an addiction...we call if flashaholism over at CPF.

That said, I carry two with me at all times. First is a Muyshondt Aeon (Muyshondt - Aeon Flashlight), which is indeed a Made in USA light but is essentially out of production as of the moment. The other is a Steve Kuki 40DD (Everyday Commentary: Steve Ku 40DD Review) which is a tiny little custom light made by a master craftsman in Asia. Both are fantastic lights that I love to carry and use daily.

Ok, enought geekdom...
    --------------------------------

Hopefully this post will show up -- my other 2 tries seemed to disappear into moderator land?!

I have the Photon Micro-Light II Keychain LED Flashlight. American made. Very bright and very easy to have with you always on your keychain. Highly recommend!

sue

not a flashlight really but a great little company that is making this headlight called the bosavi headlamp. made in america and rechargeable and very bright. read the full story here : Bosavi: Headlamp by Dan Freschl — Kickstarter
    Darcy and Sera like this.
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

I carry two, usually - both 4sevens. I got a cool Preon package with two bodies (the single AA and double AA), and two end caps (clicky and twisty). Great, easy to use light that lasts quite a while.

I also carry the Quark AA, which works as a more OH MAN I NEED A LIGHT light. It also works well as a jury-rigged bike light, if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfungi View Post
    not a flashlight really but a great little company that is making this headlight called the bosavi headlamp. made in america and rechargeable and very bright. read the full story here : Bosavi: Headlamp by Dan Freschl — Kickstarter
    That's awesome -- thanks for posting this.

Main light: Jetbeam BA-10 (unfortunately not USA made but can't afford a HDS or Surefire at the moment)
    Keychain: Photon Microlight II (w red beam) love these and will never be without one!
    Car: VW OEM torch (rechargeable and stores in cigarette lighter outlet, made in Germany)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast