Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: EDC Flashlights

i just got this quantum d2 by veleno designs. this is a guy from taiwan, steve ku, and he makes unique edc flashlights. he also makes limited runs on certain lights that sell out in a blink. the quantum d2 is small, smaller than a key and it's perfect for your key chain. the light does not stick out. it comes with a rechargeable battery and its charger which you plug into an usb port. the shipping is great and you can add tritium vials to the quantum d2. the vials last up to 12 years. check it out y'all : Quantum D2 | Veleno Designs
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

Wow, I had no idea about flashlights I always had a couple of Maglites, one for home and one for the car. I used to have a Maglite solitaire on my keychain, decided it was too long and switched to a Princeton Tek Pulsar II. Alas, after a couple of battery changes it bit the dust, so bought an eGear Pico LED which has served well for about 3 years.

After reading the above I decided to look into LED lights and ended up buying a couple: the Fenix PD35 to serve as hiking/walking and emergency light and an iNova XS as an EDC. Both seem to be pretty awesome. So thanks flashlight geeks, although my wallet doesn't thank you
    Owner of Crimson/Steel Western Flyer, Forest/Steel Zephyr, Olive/Cayenne Ristretto for iPad, Olive/Cork/Steel and Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Linen/Steel and Conifer/Steel SCB, Steel Breve, Plum/Black Swift, Steel FJN, Horizontal Freudian Slip, black Brain Cell, Iberian Packing Cube Backpack, Ultraviolet Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, and various organizer pouches, caches, and other odds and ends.

I've carried a Surefire E1B daily for the past two years and find it perfect for my needs. Tough enough that it shows very little wear after two years, it's survived countless drops and works like new. Sized right, GREAT pocket clip that holds it securely, holds its tension without becoming loose, places the light deeply in the pocket and allows it to be mounted to a hat brim for an impromptu headlight. Runs a long time on one CR123 and has two power levels, a very bright 100 lume (IIRC) for when you need power and a very handy 5 lume for most tasks. Expensive but worth it to me. It's been replaced with the EB1 which has a 200 lume top end and is just slightly bigger.

I also carry a Surefire Solo headlamp in my TB CoPilot edc. Infinitly variable to 100 lumes runs on one CR123 and has a great headband. Very compact & comfortable and incredibly handy.

I keep the wonderful Veleno Designs Quantum D2 with ice blue trits on my keychain 24/7. Cool tiny light that gets brighter as you twist the head more (although that can lead to a beat up battery pretty easily...).

In my Synapse 25 I keep a tiny Foursevens AO Ti Limited Edition light clipped to a Nite-Ize s-biner in the o-ring of the front pocket. This is a little titanium AAA light that you twist to turn on (comes on in the low setting). When you twist off, then quickly re-twist on, it comes on at full power. Cool light, about as small as a AAA light can POSSIBLY be, and, hey, it's titanium! LOL Has a magnet in the end, too, so you can stick it to metal things, which is handy.

I have a relatively inexpensive plastic 3xAAA LensLight light I keep in my Synapse side pocket, too, just because I own it and I can, so why not?

When I walk the dogs I have a Foursevens Quark Tactical 2xAA light that I take with me. Has a bunch of programmable modes but you can program it for two. This one has a standard tailcap switch. Once you've programmed the modes the way you control it is by loosening the head a little. If it's full screwed in, it's mode 1, and if you unscrew the head 1/2 turn, that gives you mode 2. I have it set for mode 1 to be a medium bright light and mode 2 is their burst mode, which is a full blast, super bright strobe that can disorient and temporarily blind someone.

I don't even want to think about all the Arcs and Peaks I have in my toy drawer. LOLOLOL
    Darcy likes this.

These days it's a FourSevens Ti Preon P1 with modified tail clicky switch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ArnieJB View Post
    These days it's a FourSevens Ti Preon P1 with modified tail clicky switch

After doing that mod does it still accidentally turn on when/if you pocket carry? Is it still easy to turn it on/off? Also did you do the mod yourself or had someone else do it?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc983 View Post
    After doing that mod does it still accidentally turn on when/if you pocket carry? Is it still easy to turn it on/off? Also did you do the mod yourself or had someone else do it?
    Chris, no...never turns on by itself like it would before with the stock tail cap switch. The button is recessed enough that it doesn't happen plus now it can tail stand. I did not do it myself, but had it done at Zodiac Engineering in Orange, CA. It was very inexpensive ($16). You supply the tail cap switch.

Chris, no...never turns on by itself like it would before with the stock tail cap switch. The button is recessed enough that it doesn't happen plus now it can tail stand. I did not do it myself, but had it done at Zodiac Engineering in Orange, CA. It was very inexpensive ($16). You supply the tail cap switch.

I tried repeatedly to get Zodiac to mod mine but they would never follow up and let me know how to get it to them?
    I decided soon after that I really did not even love the light anyway and have abandoned the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    I tried repeatedly to get Zodiac to mod mine but they would never follow up and let me know how to get it to them?
    I decided soon after that I really did not even love the light anyway and have abandoned the idea.
    That's kind of a bummer to hear. I live in CA so I was definitely planning on doing the mod. I use my preon 2 as my EDC light. Maybe I'll try to contact them and get lucky.

Email Ken....Ken@zodiaceng.com

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

He was great and turned the light around within two days.

Email Ken....Ken@zodiaceng.com

That is what I heard but like I said after repeated emails I just gave up.

YMMV of course.

Just picked up an EagleTac D25C Clicky in Ti, running the CR123 battery.

It's lightweight. It's small. It's powerful. It looks awesome. The UI is easy to use and remember. And it will take the RCR123's, but there are all kinds of caveats about excess heat, so I'm not going to bother.

Highly recommended if you can find one.
    Ted

SuperEgo in black/steel/wasabi; Aeronaut in cardinal/steel; Horizontal Cache (2M) in charcoal; Travel Tray in Ultraviolet

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4