Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: EDC Flashlights

Anyone carries the Streamlight Nano? It looks extremely small.

Streamlight 73001 Nano Light Miniature Keychain LED Flashlight, Black - Amazon.com

Sunwayman V11R

Quote Originally Posted by lioncity View Post
    Anyone carries the Streamlight Nano? It looks extremely small.

Streamlight 73001 Nano Light Miniature Keychain LED Flashlight, Black - Amazon.com
    Yes, I have a couple of them - one on my personal keys and one on my work keys. Below is my well-worn red Nano from the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation.

Name:  Nano.JPG
Views: 1258
Size:  31.0 KB

They are actually very good lights - bright and cast a lot more light than you expect. It's a great light to have on your keys when you get home after dark or for other backup tasks. The light runs on four watch-cell batteries stacked in the main body and I've not yet had to replace them (due to running dead, see below).

My only complaint is that the head unscrews completely off to access the batteries, and a couple times I've had the head work loose and fall off unexpectedly when the keys are on my belt. I've managed to save the head and batteries most of these times, but one time I did come home to find only the back half of the flashlight on my keys and had to replace it (that's when I got the red one above). There is a rubber O-ring behind the threads, and as long as you check to make sure the head's not unscrewed too far and still in contact with the rubber it seems to do fine.

Like some of the others, I'm a flashlight geek and have a lot of them around. This comes in handy as we lose power around here fairly frequently during the winter.

My favorite for the last couple years has been the Pelican PM6. This comes in both LED (PM6 3300) and Xenon lamp (PM6 3200) versions - the LED is more expensive, but brighter and has better battery life. The case is made out of a tough plastic and has a removable metal belt clip between the main body and the screw-on head. There's a rubber push button on the end which you can either click on and release or use as a momentary on by pushing it part way. The light runs on 2 CR123 lithium batteries and has a pretty decent battery life compared to some of the other CR123 lights I've used.

I carry one of these in my Empire Builder and also have one on my radio strap at work. I also have one in my response gear for when I deploy to major disasters.

When this thread started I thought 'I wish I had a need for a flashlight every day' then I came to my senses and realized I use one at work, all the time! I use a headlamp because I need both hands for what I do, and the alternative to that is holding a light in your mouth, and once you get kicked in the mouth with a MagLite, you don't want that to happen twice.

My first headlamp was a Petzl Tikka Plus2, which worked for a long time. Then I dropped and broke it and had to work in the dark for one day, which hurt. After that, wanting to try something new, I got a Black Diamond Spot, brighter than the Petzl and less blue tinted and strobe-y. The problem with the Spot is it will turn on int the next mode from when you turned it off. Vexing if you want one mode and it turns on in another. Has a good amount of modes and features though. Good enough to keep as a backup.

Now I have a Zebralight H502c neutral light flood lamp, which is wicked cool and just about perfect. I discovered those lights here! It's easy and quick to switch through all the modes. I only wish it was a matte black finish and less tactical looking. Though my coworkers do express envy of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    When this thread started I thought 'I wish I had a need for a flashlight every day' then I came to my senses and realized I use one at work, all the time! I use a headlamp because I need both hands for what I do, and the alternative to that is holding a light in your mouth, and once you get kicked in the mouth with a MagLite, you don't want that to happen twice.
    I use headlamps in my disaster response work. I've had a couple different Petzls, but my new favorite is a Princeton Tec Remix Pro. The Remix Pro is the military version of their standard Remix - same case/design, but it runs on a single CR123 lithium battery as opposed to the 3 AAAs of the standard Remix. Since my regular flashlight runs on CR123s and I don't carry anything else that uses AAAs, having the Pro lets me simplify the supplies I carry and offers the other advantages of a lithium battery.

The Remix Pro also allows for the headband to be removed - the slots that hold the lamp to the headband are notched like "repair" buckles to let the strap slip out. This means you can set the headlamp up as a quick and dirty desk light, but it also means you can attach it to a backpack sternum strap or other webbing, which can come in handy.

The light itself has a cluster of 3 LEDS and a 4th LED in a reflector, each with 2 power settings. The single LED is actually a brighter output model than the 3-cluster, so you can tailor your light level to the task at hand and conserve battery life. Single push brings on the cluster on low, second push puts it to high - holding it down for a few seconds shifts to the brighter reflector LED on low, and then another push takes THAT to high.
    Rocks likes this.

I've kept a Photon light of some kind (currently turquoise Freedom) on my keychain for years now. It's tiny and easily ignored until I need it, like when someone loses something under their seat at a movie, or (as happened once) there's a sudden power outage at a sushi restaurant and nobody can see their food.

Generat.X
    I use to use a flash lite made by SONY. The best part of this , that it is very handy and very comfortable to carry and the light gives a sharp light so that is why it makes the mobility easy in darkness or night. It gets charge through electricity and the one thing more which i should not forget to share that it is durable and strong...So my Sony battery has a long age.

Great thread! My current favorites:

Fenix LD10 Flashlight - for daily use. Going strong for 3 years or so. Rugged housing, adjustable beam, extremely bright for a single AA.

Zebralight H51w Neutral White Headlamp - for hiking/running/cycling. Just bought this one last year, but so far it's the best lightweight headlamp I've ever used (having owned ones from Petzl, Princeton Tec and Fenix).

County Comm SO-LED - a micro LED with a built-in clip for backpack straps or clothing. It's bright enough for night hikes and trail running, has a decent battery life and costs less than $5. Makes a great backup, but it's more than functional enough for general use if low weight or small size is a priority. I've tried the Photons too, but I think I prefer the switch-design of the SO-LED.
    CountyComm - Sand Special Ops Issue SO-LED Illuminator

Just picked up a McGizmo Haiku XM-L in 6V a few days ago. Loving it.
    Name:  20130612_164854_HDR.jpg
Views: 3098
Size:  680.9 KBName:  20130612_164916_HDR.jpg
Views: 1584
Size:  582.2 KBName:  20130612_164930_HDR.jpg
Views: 1696
Size:  559.3 KB

They (there are several models), all of which are pricey, but the quality really speaks for itself. On cpf (candlepowerforums.comi), the Haiku holds the title for "best EDC flashlight"

Thread I started to find the EDC flashlight "right for me"
    Help choosing McGizmo Haiku!
    Darcy likes this.

My EDC flashlight recommendations

In bag or coat or on keychain - I use a Fenix LD15 (117 Ansi Lumens), AA flashlight – 3.15 inches – small but powerful tactical flashlight
    Pocket – I have a Fenix E05 (27 Ansi lumens), AAA flashlight – 2.5 inches – with a lithium battery, it lasts 5 hours

I have found these to be one of the smallest AA and AAA flashlights while still producing amazing amounts of light output
    Surprisingly, I have found more use with the less powerful E05 – it is so small that I can take it anywhere without it getting stuck anywhere in my pockets or bulging. Because of that, it gets carried more and used more ad-hoc.

The difference between the two flashlights is like a Compact Camera vs a Camera Phone. You carry your phone with you all the time so you use the camera on it everyday. When you know you are going to need a camera, you bring the Compact Camera.

A EagleTac D25C Ti (2012). Perfect form factor for clip or in the pocket carry. As I become a more seasoned flashoholic, I've come to appreciate the moonlight mode over max lumens. This light has the perfect moonlight IMO. The new ZL SC52w has me intrigued and I will prolly pull the trigger to satisfy my curiosity.

For the winter dark when I am out and about, a Petzl and a Fenix 11. My Imago sports a guardian light for viewing inside. This can be swapped to my Synapse as needed. But I do not a small light to add to my key chain. Maybe I'll try to Photon Microlight II above.

Quote Originally Posted by ViciousV View Post
    A EagleTac D25C Ti (2012). The new ZL SC52w has me intrigued and I will prolly pull the trigger to satisfy my curiosity.
    Just got one of these a few days ago and it's awesome. As AVService mentions back up the thread, it's astonishingly small and, given its size and that it uses a single AA battery, astonishingly bright (if you want it to be). The one-button UI is quite flexible, once you get the hang of it, the neutral tint is nice for seeing the real colors of things, and it gives the impression of being bulletproof.

As EDC flashlight I own armytek partner A2. It's 280 lumens. Convenient for usage, simple and light weight. I like it!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast