Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Vitamix for the Seattle factory

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    I dehydrate kale vs. blending it into juice. We love the kale chips!
    Turnips, I have only creamed. They were better the second day.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Please share your experiments with kale and turnip.

What fruit or vegetable can be added to it to make a good looking juice or smoothie.

Good looking to me means dark or light green with a purpleish hue but not anything in the mustard to brownish hue.
    I think dinosaur (aka lacinato) kale is the best variety for smoothies. Try kale, romaine lettuce, banana or pineapple, apple, and lime (unless you find lime adds bitterness). The romaine lettuce and lime cut the "grassy" taste. Go lighter on the kale until you develop a taste for it.

As for turnips... for me, starchy vegetables make the most sense cooked or roasted. dorayme's creamed turnips sound really good!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Thanks both for your great ideas, much appreciated!

What I am not fond of in kale is the texture, it very much feel like eating roughage, not much strong crunch like brocoli nor light and watery crunch like carrots or romaine lettuce.

Thanks to both of your inpiration, we run out of greens quickly and there is a fierce competition between my husband and I about who will eat the most.

Who would have thought?

Dorayme, is it possible to make dry chips in the oven with a regular pan? I do hope I don't have to buy a dehydrator.

Darcy, what color does the kale, banana and romaine lettuce end up looking like?

bltkmt smoothie's picture is about right, green and fresh.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    You can make chips in the oven, but I have only used a dehydrator. I can make a significantly higher quantity at once in the dehydrator than what would fit on my oven racks. That saves me time. From online reading, dehydrators preserve the color better and have a less baked taste. I think this is because most ovens are still hotter on their lowest setting than dehydrators.

I also use our dehydrator for making fruit chips and leathers. I intend to also use it to aid in food preservation once I return to gardening, along with my MIL teaching me canning. FWIW, IMHO needing to buy a dehydrator isn't a bad thing. My inexpensive vintage round one died last time I made chips, so I'm getting an Excalibur as a Valentines day/early birthday present. It's on tomorrow's truck!
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

When using Kale, I always add pineapple to combat the slightly bitter taste. I've found that adding a combination of strawberries, blackberries, or blueberries gives you the darker green with a purple hue.
    This morning's smoothie was fresh squeezed orange juice, ground flax seeds, ground chia seeds, vegan protein powder, a banana, fresh pineapple, handful of kale, frozen mango, and frozen peaches. It turns out a fairly bright green color and we call it the Incredible Hulk smoothie at our house. That bright green color always makes me feel like it is super healthy and it tastes yummy!

Name:  IMG_1798.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  968.5 KB

Just got my new Vitamix last week!! This weekend I was knitting and stopped to make a green smoothie (romaine lettuce, frozen peaches, bananas) which turned out the same color as my wasabi stuff sack

Good thing it tasted nothing like wasabi

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Darcy, what color does the kale, banana and romaine lettuce end up looking like?
    Here's a photo of my kale, banana, apple, and romaine smoothie!

Name:  smoothie.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  54.1 KB
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Sounds delicious...but looks like ecto-plasma...

Quote Originally Posted by julawils View Post
    Sounds delicious...but looks like ecto-plasma...
    Haha, it does. I made a smoothie today using mostly collard greens -- if ecto-plasma, it was definitely from a malevolent entity... :/

My local store has two kind of Vitamix: Vitamix® TurboBlend 4500 Blender and Vitamix® 1709 CIA Professional Series Blender.

Which one did our forum members get? And would it be fine to use the non professional one just for one or two people?

Any help is appreciated as this is the way I would have to get my vegetables from now on.

Keeping up with the Bihnses.....

Got a Vitamix for our solar-powered company. (Ok, we're self-employed, and I work from home.) Should have gotten one years ago. Smoothie for lunch!
    Darcy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    Keeping up with the Bihnses.....

Got a Vitamix for our solar-powered company. (Ok, we're self-employed, and I work from home.) Should have gotten one years ago. Smoothie for lunch!
    Yeah!! Nice. What kind of smoothie are you making?

Favorite current smoothie: parsley, cucumber, apple, bee pollen

Last week's lunch green smoothie combo was spinach or kale (I had both, so kept swapping out), cucumber, avocado, strawberries, pineapple, and mango. Absolutely delicious! My husband isn't so keen on the green part, so this week was peach, pineapple and mango for breakfast, with either plain Greek yogurt or strawberry flavored whey protein powder. YUM.
    Indigo/Solar Western Flyer, Aubergine/Steel Tri Star, Nordic/Steel Aeronaut, Indigo/Solar Synapse, Cocoa/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago, Wasabi Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Small Shop Bags, Solar Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Large Shop Bags, Indigo, Wasabi Dyneema, and Plum 3D Organizer Cubes, Wasabi Dyneema Travel Tray, Wasabi Dyneema Large Yarn Stuff Sack, Small, Mini and Pen/Pencil Pouches, an assortment of key straps

I keep a bag of kale in the freezer, and add frozen kale to my smoothies. No crunch at all that way! My favourite smoothie recipe is 1/2 avocado, 1/2 banana, 1 cup frozen berries, handful of kale, 1 Tbsp hemp seeds (or chia seeds or flax seeds), and water or juice. Planning on buying a Vitamix or Blentec blender soon but for now I'm just using a regular blender.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0