Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Vitamix for the Seattle factory

Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    I am not, no. I'm just eating better . The smoothie had a lot of ingredients but I think it was something like: water, apple, kiwi, kale, lettuce, turmeric root, ginger, watercress and... um. I think that's it. I feel like I'm forgetting something..
    Yeah, you forgot the brisket! (Ducks, covers head)

How long is your ice cream moratorium? Forever? Because I was planning on developing a new flavor just for you this summer . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    IDK, Katy. Sometimes ice cream is exactly what you need at work.
    I couldn't agree more! I like that way Badger is thinking.
    Aeronaut in Black/Iberian, Synapse in Black/Iberian, Small Cafe Bag in Linen/Steel, 4Z Horizontal Cache in Black, iPad Vertical Cache in Black, 3D Organizer Cube in Steel, Large Clear Organizer in Pouch Iberian, Medium Clear Organizer Pouch in Iberian, Mini Padded Organizer Pouch in Black, Mini Organizer Pouch in Iberian, 16" Key Strap in Sapphire, 8" Key Strap in Storm

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Revitalizing this thread. I wanted to play before but the blender jar for my bosch kitchen machine lacked the ability to make anything useful from greens.

My turn to play as my Christmas pressie (vitamix 5200) is FINALLY on today's truck! (TB wait times totally spoiled me and caused one too many calls to Vitamix to inquire as to exactly where my Vitamix was, and why it had not shipped yet)

I'm especially interested in cleansing/detox, meal replacement and kid friendly smoothies, but they don't have to be the same, lol.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

I got a Ninja blender for making my morning smoothies and it is awesome! Today's smoothie was banana, pineapple, spinach, strawberries, blueberries, flax seed, vegan protein powder, and fresh squeezed tangelo juice. So yummy!

This is what my husband and I have for breakfast every morning. We LOVE it!
    It is from Drew Manning the guy who did Fit2Fat2Fit:

Spinach Shake
    1 scoop of Vanilla Whey Protein (I use chocolate)
    3 cups of spinach
    banana
    2 tbsp of peanut butter (I use natural peanut butter)
    cup of unsweetened almond milk (I use rice milk)
    2 cups of ice

I received a Vitamix for Christmas from my family and love it so far. Still experimenting with things. Have quickly learned that a little beet goes a LONG way. In other words, don't try to add beets to your salsa recipe.
    --------------------------------

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    I received a Vitamix for Christmas from my family and love it so far. Still experimenting with things. Have quickly learned that a little beet goes a LONG way. In other words, don't try to add beets to your salsa recipe.
    Yeah... same goes for lots of mustard greens in a green smoothie. Turns out it's not such a good idea. And it sounded so delicious!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Nli
    wondering why anyone would add beets to anything, even though they trend purple......

My favorite smoothie is:

Europe's best 4-field berry frozen berries
    Oasis antioxia blueberry, pomegranate juice
    Ground flax seed for some omega3 and fibre
    Vanilla whey protein powder (optional)

Good for you and delicious!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nli View Post
    wondering why anyone would add beets to anything, even though they trend purple......
    I wish I could like this more than once.
    Nli likes this.

Beets work well in some mixes...I made one with carrots, kale, beet, apple...delicious.
    --------------------------------

Wow, thanks, keep 'em coming, but I forgot to mention one thing, I'm allergic to bananas. Many recipes have banana and they taste lacking without it, but my reaction is borderline anaphylactic so I stay away.

If you know of a good banana substitute to add cream and sweet, please share.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

I have heard that the key to smoothness and creaminess is to use frozen fruits.

I would say that good substitute for bananas are sweet potatoes, they have the creaminess and the sweetness.

Do you think I could make juice out of frozen fruits just with a small size food processor or is this one of those "disaster waiting to happen" ideas?
    dorayme likes this.

Oh, I love sweet potatoes, thank you for the suggestion backpack.

I have started preparing my own frozen fruits, and that makes sense. I would say that to me smoothness and creaminess are different. My first attempts at green smoothies were creamy but not smooth from the green bits that didn't process all of the way.

As far as the food processor, have no clue. But according to this recipe, it's possible. The part I didn't want to partake in is the straining at the end.

I am beginning to think that the RPM of the Vitamix is a big part of the equation that allows it to make the finished product that I desire (the whole food is utilized and homogeneous with the entire mixture). My Universal Kitchen Machine was not designed to spin that fast. It's powerful enough. The blender easily and rapidly crushes ice, and therefore it makes a great slushie. The mixer attachments and bowl can easily knead quantities of stiff dough to make 6 loaves of heavy whole wheat bread at once. It's just no where near as fast as the Vitamix.

I know that Vitamix also has something different going on with the blade design compared to a food processor. The blades both pull the ingredients from the top downward to them, but also allow the even mixture of ingredients, and don't allow bits to get stuck underneath them. My Cuisinart 3 cup, mini food processor (the only one I have and also surprisingly powerful) has a blade on one plane. It doesn't pull anything up or down, just hits whatever is in it's path. I have had thin slices of softer foods get stuck under the plane of the blade. I have successfully made yummy nut butter in it as well as processed a myriad of foods for various purposes. I wouldn't want to drink anything I made it in, but a better food processor may be a different story.

I would try the food processor, maybe make a small batch and resolve that whatever you are trying to make could be put into muffins or something if it didn't turn out like you were hoping.

If you are looking for an actual juicer, the Breville Juice Fountain Compact is excellent. I have had mine for about 7 years +/-. It makes quick work of both juicing and clean up. It extracts juice very well for a juicer of it's price. The design is nicely thought out for the juicer, it's pitcher and cleaning tool in every way. It was an affordable way for me to give my kids more veggies than they would eat. And I knew what was in it vs. some of the commercial veggie/fruit juice blends.

Even though I now have my Vitamix, I will be keeping the Breville, I love it that much!

When you try making juice, please share, I'm curious and others may want to know.

Um, on another note, Tom, would you consider making a padded travel case for my Vitamix? I've decided that I must have it wherever I go. I love teh smoothie!

Dorayme, thank you so much for the Breville reference!

I found nearby retailers.
    dorayme likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0