Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: What is the *ONE* "unusual" item you always travel with?

Quote Originally Posted by snowbot View Post
    My guess is that the Vegemite is supposed to go in the 3-1-1 bag, but that no one will notice it if is stashed elsewhere since Vegemite doesn't flow.
    I was once shocked to discover that the TSA considers the gel in your SHOE INSOLES to as no-nos!!!!!!! I mean, really?

I've heard that some people have had their hummus confiscated!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    We have two Uglydogs (well, we have more than two, but these are the two that go places with us).
    Do you take pictures with/of them in your travels, like Flat Stanley?
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

These days it seems like I ONLY travel with weird stuff! LOL Most of my traveling is work-related, teaching postgraduate technique courses to other chiropractors. The TSA LOVES me.

Last trip I had a set of FAKTR instruments (Shop Online - Functional and Kinetic Treatment with Rehabilitation, Provocation and Motion) which are not sharp but could easily be confused for martial arts instruments, a gun-shaped Impac Arthro-Stim that earned a lot of attention (http://simpsonchirocares.com/sites/d...c/IMG_0910.JPG), a portable drop piece (http://www.thulitables.com/images/up...stingBoard.jpg) and a plastic model of a human foot. LOL

Interestingly, THE FOOT was the only thing they weren't concerned about!
    eWalker likes this.

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Hahahaha you're showing your roots, matey!

Technically I believe it does need to go in your 3-1-1 bag. That means 3 ounce tubes. Will they fit?
    My hairdresser can confirm that I spend large amounts of time and cash ensuring that my roots don't show!

I think the Vegemite tubes in the supermarket might be bigger than 100ml (not anissue when travelling domestically). But you could easily use a Go-toob.

I was once shocked to discover that the TSA considers the gel in your SHOE INSOLES to as no-nos!!!!!!! I mean, really?
    But gel bras are ok...

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Any other special items?

...and no. Tom Bihn bags do not count. We already assume you use them. ;-)
    Lani,

I re-posted your question over on Facebook and there's already two great responses.
    Lani and TavaPeak like this.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I keep a mini bottle of vodka in my 3D clear organizer. Just in case, lol.

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinsale View Post
    That is a great idea! I have sometimes thought of taking a tiny bottle of Bombay Sapphire. Get a can of tonic from the FA and voila - G&T!

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsale View Post
    OK I just HAVE to ask, since you phrased it that way: "Just in case of what?"

(giggles)

So I was reading the "3D clear organizer cube" thread and Frank II mentioned that he packs a telescoping backscratcher. Not something most people would think to carry, but one of those "I wish I had one" type things.
    While I do admit to taking the telescoping backscratcher with me on trips--let's face it, when you get an itch it can drive you crazy--it is not the most unusual item I take with me when traveling. The most unusual item I travel with is........me.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Do you take pictures with/of them in your travels, like Flat Stanley?
    Yes, but usually in the hotel. It's weird to see grown up adult people with stuffed animals in public. The tower was a one-time deal.

I sometimes pack a Justin's almond butter packet and a mini bottle of scotch in my 311 bag. That way I can have a snack and a drink on the plane, ha ha.
    Lani likes this.

KmK
    I have a little tiny owl...perhaps 3/4 inches wide and 1 1/4 inches tall...that travels with me and is by my bed wherever I am...it makes what ever room "my space." It came from Mexico and was given to me by a wise and wonderful friend, now deceased. This is my travel version of a picture that has hung on every bedroom wall I have ever had...in my whole life (and there've been over a dozen of them). It was a picture my mother had hanging in her dorm room in college! When I was born, the wall needed something and so she hung it. Hanging that picture is a sign of being home. The owl brings that sense too in a much more portable way!

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Yes, but usually in the hotel. It's weird to see grown up adult people with stuffed animals in public. The tower was a one-time deal.
    I can appreciate that. I *LOVE* Stitch (from Disney's animated Lilo & Stitch from several years back; it reminds me of Hawaii, my former home), and I've been known as "that woman who carries a plush backpack" when I've gone to Disneyland with my friends.... but it's the ONLY place I carry Stitch around in, because I carrying a plush around in public is um... yeah.

I can appreciate that. I *LOVE* Stitch (from Disney's animated Lilo & Stitch from several years back; it reminds me of Hawaii, my former home), and I've been known as "that woman who carries a plush backpack" when I've gone to Disneyland with my friends.... but it's the ONLY place I carry Stitch around in, because I carrying a plush around in public is um... yeah.
    My dad is from Eleele, which is near Hanapepe. The last time we were there, we noted that Hanapepe has started marketing itself as "Stitch-town" or something to that effect because I guess the movie was set there. My iPhone lock screen is an uglydog, so I've always got one with me anyway. When we're in Italy he becomes "Cane Brutto," which we figure is an approximate translation.
    Lani likes this.

... because I carrying a plush around in public is um... yeah.
    Which is why I have Flash!

Name:  SleepyFlash.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  49.2 KB
    WhiteStar in Colorado
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LCB (Azalea/Sapphire, Turq/Wasabi), MCB (Plum/Cayenne), Swift (Cork), Co-Pilot (Iberian), Synapse (UV), Citizen Canine (Kiwi/UV), Shop Bag (UV), key straps and pouches galore!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0