Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: What is the *ONE* "unusual" item you always travel with?

What is the *ONE* "unusual" item you always travel with?

So I was reading the "3D clear organizer cube" thread and Frank II mentioned that he packs a telescoping backscratcher. Not something most people would think to carry, but one of those "I wish I had one" type things.

Similarly, when I travel, I always pack a Japanese Salux wash cloth. It's simply the best scrub cloth in the entire universe (in my opinion) and also indestructible. I can't imagine showering without one of these, and I'm astounded that people can feel clean by just using a plain wash cloth.

So... does anyone else here have any special items they like to take with them? Maybe it's something you don't really need, but it means something special to you. Maybe it's a small picture frame with your loved ones that you can put on your night stand. Maybe it's prayer beads so you can meditate and have some quiet time each day on your trip. Maybe a special mascot?

Or maybe you take something that's very practical but something most people wouldn't think to pack. I know Jodi from Legal Nomads like to pack a doorstop, for example.

Any other special items?

...and no. Tom Bihn bags do not count. We already assume you use them. ;-)
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

On my next trip I will be traveling with a small Travelocity roaming gnome. He was a gift from a work friend who talks with me about The Amazing Race weekly. I'm going to snap some photos of him in various places, similar to what a lot of people do with block clowns, stuffed animals, etc.

Oooo just like in the movie Amelie!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Great question, Lani! I mentioned in that 3D thread that in my travel journals, I paste a little color copy of my son's "travel angel" that he drew for me when he was 4. Despite all my electronics, I need a small paper journal.

The unusual item I travel with is someone else's wedding ring. My husband made my wedding ring for me, and I don't want to lose it or shear off one of the stones. So I leave it at home. My husband (who was raised in his dad's rock/jewelry shop) had an old white-gold band in his stock of scrap gold that fits me just right. It's well-worn, and super comfy to wear. The band is getting quite thin on the edges - someone wore that band for a very long time. It has good mojo.
    Last edited by TavaPeak; 04-17-2012 at 01:51 PM.

I travel with a hula hoop. It breaks down into segments and fits into a little bag I can hook on to the backpack straps of my Aeronaut. The only problem is, most hotel room beds are so high I can't hoop in the room. The other night, I just hooped by the pool.

LOVE the story of the wedding ring with good mojo. How lucky you are to have two good choices!
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
    I travel with a hula hoop. It breaks down into segments and fits into a little bag I can hook on to the backpack straps of my Aeronaut. The only problem is, most hotel room beds are so high I can't hoop in the room. The other night, I just hooped by the pool.
    OK, we need a link to that travel hula! I guess you're not just hula-ing with it around the hips? ;-)

Also, I wear a mood ring for my wedding band when we camp. That way the kids can see at a glance if Mom needs "alone time."
    Last edited by TavaPeak; 04-17-2012 at 02:14 PM.

This is the one I use: TravelHoop with Strap I mostly hoop around the waist, but I can hoop around the hips and over my head. I can also do squats and lunges while hooping.
    Lani and TavaPeak like this.
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.

Well,lest anyone here doubts my standing as "King Nerdlinger" I will tell you that this radio is 1 odd device I always carry when traveling.

It is so tiny it is tough to leave behind and it is a full featured Amateur Radio Transceiver. It will not only tune or listen to AM/FM/Weather bands but a lot of VHF/UHF/Aircraft/Marine/Shortwave/Railroad and Public Safety broadcasts too. But wait.....it also will transmit as well.
    So wherever I am I have a full radio Transmit and Receive station in the palm of my hand.

Since I travel to South Florida a lot for example I can listen to Aircraft and Marine broadcasts and have emergency weather always handy too.
    I can transmit anywhere and connect with other weirdos like myself that I haven't even met yet!
    It is always a fun challenge to try to make these radio contacts with an absolute minimum of gear and using AA battery power too.

It can listen to FM while secretly listening for Communications broadcast and override one with the other.

I can also utilize various internet linking methods and talk literally anywhere in the world from this tiny device!

Welcome to Yaesu.com

Yaesu VX-3

Fun and Portable what else could I ask for?!

Ed-KC0UKR
    EZ Dog to my friends

JLE
    Tiny travel candles to mask that hotel room smell.
    A good quality Bluetooth speaker in case I can't jack my iPad into the hotel's system.
    Very small hair straightening irons. I can leave the others at home but this one is a must-have for me!

[edit: how could I have forgotten to mention my squeezy tube of Vegemite! I don't take one on every trip, but I am always glad when I do. Hmm, thought - does it need to go in 3-1-1 bag???]
    Last edited by JLE; 04-18-2012 at 03:26 AM.
    Lani likes this.

I like to travel with a very small nightlight for hotel room bathrooms. I often forget these, so I replenish my stock often.

I also like to travel with a necklace. Most days when I'm not on travel, I can't be bothered to put on jewelry and half the time I forget even my minimal make-up regime. But I find wearing, and keeping track of, a necklace rather comforting when I'm traveling. My husband is a geologist and he usually buys me a pendant with a semi-precious rock when he goes to a meeting, so the necklace reminds me of him. I guess even I get sentimental some times.

Quote Originally Posted by JLE View Post
    [edit: how could I have forgotten to mention my squeezy tube of Vegemite! I don't take one on every trip, but I am always glad when I do. Hmm, thought - does it need to go in 3-1-1 bag???]
    My guess is that the Vegemite is supposed to go in the 3-1-1 bag, but that no one will notice it if is stashed elsewhere since Vegemite doesn't flow.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbot View Post
    My husband is a geologist and he usually buys me a pendant with a semi-precious rock when he goes to a meeting, so the necklace reminds me of him. I guess even I get sentimental some times.
    snowbot, We are the Mrs Gotrocks. ;-) Luke goes to the Tucson show every year - my house is filled with rocks. Wish I'd paid more attention in geology class...

Dogs. Lots of Dogs. 3-6 per trip. In fact they are the purpose of the trip.
    WhiteStar in Colorado
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LCB (Azalea/Sapphire, Turq/Wasabi), MCB (Plum/Cayenne), Swift (Cork), Co-Pilot (Iberian), Synapse (UV), Citizen Canine (Kiwi/UV), Shop Bag (UV), key straps and pouches galore!

We have two Uglydogs (well, we have more than two, but these are the two that go places with us). One is pink, and one is red. They've been all over the US, to Ireland, and to Italy (we have a picture somewhere of the pink one on top of a tower). They're now about seven years old, so they're not as seaworthy as they used to be, so they don't go on international trips anymore.

These days, we often bring along our corgi duo. You've seen them enough that I needn't subject you to them on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JLE View Post
    Hahahaha you're showing your roots, matey!

Technically I believe it does need to go in your 3-1-1 bag. That means 3 ounce tubes. Will they fit?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0