Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Sunscreen in the 3-1-1 bag?

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Anyone with lotion/sunscreen sensitivities -- do you know if Cerave works for you?
    I've not seen that brand around, but might order some of their cleanser. I did go out and order some of the Chagrin Valley Soap, though. (I got suckered in by the name.)

Quote Originally Posted by snowbot View Post
    I've not seen that brand around, but might order some of their cleanser. I did go out and order some of the Chagrin Valley Soap, though. (I got suckered in by the name.)
    I ordered some soap & hair products from them also.

That's great! I hope you enjoy the Chagrin Valley products as much as I do. I have a bar of their patchouli soap in my dresser. Smells so good I can't bear to use it up!
    Walker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kmcg View Post
    That's great! I hope you enjoy the Chagrin Valley products as much as I do. I have a bar of their patchouli soap in my dresser. Smells so good I can't bear to use it up!
    My order was delivered to my office this pm. It was very fragrant, colleagues noticed it when they passed by my office. When I got home this evening and opened the box, I found out why: the coconut primrose hair balm totally melted, its tin came apart on one side. All the liquified hair balm is gone. I sent an email to their customer service to explain the situation.

The soap and shampoo bars are awesome. I got the lavenders. I got the only shampoo bar and one of their bar lotion. If their customet service comes close to TB's, they will have a customer for life!

Thanks for the tip about them.

I'd never heard of Chagrin Valley but now you guys have piqued my curiosity. I'm looking at their website, and they've got some nice things. I may just have to try them out!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

My Chagrin Valley order arrived. It all smells so good and none of it made my eyes water. I'm excited to try the shampoo bars and solid lotion.

Walker - I'm so sorry about the meltdown! I guess this can happen when a product isn't chemically stabilized. Glad you are getting it resolved quickly. Can you use the leftover box to make your basement/garage/whatever smell good?

The shampoo bars and solid lotion are both so great for travel. I was a little worried when I took a lotion bar to Turkey, because it was really hot. It definitely softened, but held together just fine. I wouldn't recommend leaving the tin sitting in the sun, though! for the shampoo bars, it is good to have a way to let them dry out between uses, or they disappear quickly. I saw they sell little mesh bags to hang your soap or shampoo up to dry...think I will get one.
    Last edited by kmcg; 04-12-2012 at 06:37 PM.

I love, love, love the soap, shampoo, hair conditioner and lotion I purchased from Chagrin Valley. I cut the first 3 items in half because they are just too wide for my small hands + short fingers. They area easy to cut with a kitchen knife.

I am guessing that the package sat under the sun for an extended period during its journey. I am very sad that all I have left of the coconut primrose hair balm is a box of shredded paper with an amazing fragrance. I put the box in my bedroom. I have not heard from Chagrin Valley as of yet.

Oh, I did write in the comments box in my order that I read about them in the TB forum .
    TavaPeak and kmcg like this.

Sheesh - add me to the list of folks who ordered from Chagrin Valley. Perfumes and herbs (such as lavender) can trigger my asthma. If the samples I ordered won't work for me, at least I know several folks here who will want them.
    kmcg likes this.

And now you've got me ordering from Chagrin Valley, too. (I was born near Chagrin Falls, Ohio; I just love those names.) Thankfully, I don't have any allergies (though my dog does, so he's getting a bar of the cedarwood soap); but my skin is getting more and more sensitive, so I have to watch what I put on it. The soaps and shampoo bars won't help with this, but I too am having trouble finding a sunblock for my face; Neutrogena's Visibly Even daily moisturizer, which is SPF30, just triggered a breakout. It has a several different active ingredients: avobenzone, homosalate, octisalate, octocrylene, and oxybenzone. Lani, I may try the other Neutrogena products you mentioned.
    kmcg likes this.

ncb4, I like the Aveeno sunblock for your face! This is the one I use:
    Buy Aveeno Sunblock Lotion, Continuous Protection, SPF 70 & More | drugstore.com
    *knock on wood* I haven't had any breakouts from it and it doesn't leave you super greasy feeling either. It does have a crap ton of not so natural sounding ingredients so take a look at those first. I've used it 2 summers now without any problems.
    ncb4 likes this.

I use the Neutrogena Sensitive Skin" SPF 60+ PureScreen for my face. It usually doesn't bother me.
    ncb4 likes this.

Aveeno moisturizer seems pretty benign (although I have one that's only 15SPF). A dermatologist once insisted that Purpose was the best, and it never caused any problems for me. Like Aveeno, available in places like Target, though a bit harder to find these days.

Hey tavapeak and ncb: glad you jumped on the bandwagon! I can't believe I now "know" someone from Chagrin Falls! What was the high school mascot, one wonders ...

Sam of Chagrin Valley Soap sent me email & they refunded the cost of the hair balm. Per Sam's email, they are aware the product could melt when the weather heats up, usually after May. So it is too early in the year, the hair balm should have made it to me fine. I hope to try the balm products again in the future.

I am loving the rest of the products from them.

I am still on the lookout for facial sunblock. I tried different versions of the neutrogena, find them greasy & my face "itches ucomfortably" from them. I don't wear make-up, so I am not used to "stuff" applied on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    Sam of Chagrin Valley Soap sent me email & they refunded the cost of the hair balm. Per Sam's email, they are aware the product could melt when the weather heats up, usually after May. So it is too early in the year, the hair balm should have made it to me fine. I hope to try the balm products again in the future.

I am loving the rest of the products from them.

I am still on the lookout for facial sunblock. I tried different versions of the neutrogena, find them greasy & my face "itches ucomfortably" from them. I don't wear make-up, so I am not used to "stuff" applied on my face.
    Hi Walker,

I have super-sensitive skin and I use either Badger or John Masters Organics on my face and Soleo Organics on arms, etc. Yes, they are more expensive than drugstore brands, but on me they don't itch or cause other nasty responses. They are all mineral sunscreens, but in organic skincare lotions.
    Walker and capncat like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast