Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Dyneema-Our Secret Weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by conejo23 View Post
    Totally agree with the above posts. The Dyneema's weight and strength make it perfect for things like packing cubes, linings, etc...

Leather? I love good leather stuff, but it was funny. On another forum (flyertalk) there was a thread talking about laptop bags and someone touted a Saddleback model. I checked it out. Aesthetically beautiful, but it weighed like 7 pounds by itself, and you had to undo 2 buckles to get into the main compartment. That would drive me insane. But their stuff IS absolutely beautiful.
    Might actually have been me with the Saddleback briefcase posting on flyertalk--although I haven't been there in at least a month or two because I've switched over to MilePoint instead. I love the Saddleback bag, but I don't care to fly with it. It works great for work trips that are done by car because I don't tend to have to carry it very far and I feel it looks more "professional" and classic than nylon/synthetic bags. It's definitely a heavy bag. It carries a ton too, so if I make the mistake of loading it up with laptop, charger, accessories and a stack of paper, it gets well into the range of "difficult to manage"... And I'm fairly tolerant of a lot of weight on my shoulders.

Oh, and my thoughts on the dyneema pattern: It's ok. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. For linings, it's great, actually. It's easier to see things in there, especially with steel, where things might otherwise blend into the shadows. As an external fabric, I have mixed feelings, as discussed in my request for thoughts on the co-pilot. In the end, I am pretty sure that I am going to keep the dyneema co-pilot and return the forest one. The weight difference is well worth my "dislike" of the fabric, although honestly, I think I liked the look of the steel dyneema over the forest ballistic nylon for that particular bag. If there were a "stealth black" dyneema option, I'd be all over it for several bag designs and would think the ripstop texture would look great.
    Last edited by autolycus; 04-03-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Yeah if I didn't have to carry a bag, and if the appearance of the bag was important, I could see the Saddleback being a great choice. I'm actually looking at buying one of their wallets. I got the Bihn clear organizer wallet, but it's bigger than I want to carry in a front pocket.

I just discovered Saddleback bags last week & they have some beautiful bags! I won an ebay auction for a medium satchel & should be receiving it Thursday.
    Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

I've got a couple of the clear quarter packing cubes with the dyneema fabric. Honestly? Incredibly functional bags but I can't stand the look of that fabric. My wife? She likes it.

I'd be interested to know how people view the pattern of these things, male vs female. My guess is it doesn't matter and that most people like it. Like I said, not sure why I don't, but it's just a visceral thing, I don't like that look. At all.
    I hadn't really thought about it until now although I also had not considered getting any Dyneema exterior bags either.
    I like it as a lining and really like the UV color in my T.S..

Frankly knowing that you can't stand it makes it look a little better to me?(right here is where I would like to have a tongue sticking out emoticon!)

Just how I roll!

Ed
    Lime and Janine like this.

Ed, lol, classic!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    I hadn't really thought about it until now although I also had not considered getting any Dyneema exterior bags either.
    I like it as a lining and really like the UV color in my T.S..

Frankly knowing that you can't stand it makes it look a little better to me?(right here is where I would like to have a tongue sticking out emoticon!)

Just how I roll!

Ed
    Ed, in the spirit of Darcy's recent April Fool's Day post on the new "retro" forum design, this is just for you:
    JLE likes this.

Thanks!

I am getting a little weepy now.

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Ed, in the spirit of Darcy's recent April Fool's Day post on the new "retro" forum design, this is just for you:
    This needs to be added to the emoticon list immediately!

Yeah if I didn't have to carry a bag, and if the appearance of the bag was important, I could see the Saddleback being a great choice. I'm actually looking at buying one of their wallets. I got the Bihn clear organizer wallet, but it's bigger than I want to carry in a front pocket.
    The ID wallet from them is a good option. It's what I've been carrying for a few months now. It's a solid enough piece of leather that it should last a while, even though it is still pretty compact. I broke it in by putting my pared down contents into it and then adding an extra card or two to each pocket for a few days. That stretched it enough to allow me to insert and remove cards easily. The cash slot in the middle took a little extra time to get good and loose, and I had to figure out what folding technique worked best for me, but I'm completely used to it, and it looks good and fits my front pocket nicely.

Yeah, the ID wallet is exactly what I'm looking at.

I'm going to turn my Bihn Organizer Wallet into a little travel first aid kit. Still a very handy device.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0