Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Baking Help!

  1. #1
    I work at TOM BIHN Katy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pacific Northwet
    Posts
    827

    Baking Help!

    So.. I bought myself a stand mixer for christmas this year. The Ice Cream maker thread went so well, I decided to turn to you again!

    I spent all weekend baking stuff for the upcoming holiday party but I've run out of ideas!

    What are your favorite things to bake during the holidays?

    What are your favorite things to bake EVER?

    Do you have a favorite baking blog? If so, what is it!?


    So far I've made:

    Chocolate Chip Cookies
    Lemon Sugar Cookies
    and Snicker Doodles.


    I have two more cookies planned for the holiday party, Hazelnut Lace (vegan) and Citrus Butter Cookies.

    Is that too many?
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

  2. #2
    Registered User xtal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    18
    One of the best baking blogs (in my opinion) is the King Arthur Flour one:
    King Arthur Flour

    Everything I've made from there has been excellent.

    My other go-to cooking blogs (which include a subset of dessert recipes) are:
    Simply Recipes Food and Cooking Blog
    and
    smitten kitchen

    I have a host of dessert/cookie recipes that I often turn to. I can post them if required, and they are (in no particular order): oatmeal raisin cookies, chocolate chip cookies, brownies, blondies, chocolate cappucino cheesecake, bread pudding, mint chocolate brownies, fruit pies (apple being my fave), etc.

    Best of luck!

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    St Petersburg Florida
    Posts
    287

    Cool Baking for diabetics

    Desserts

    I get mine from Amazon. Packets for breakfast cereals and the small tin of tablets for hot drinks at home and on the go.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    420
    This is a variation of a Christmas tradition at our house.

    Walnut Poteca Recipe - Allrecipes.com

    I have the recipe we use at home but not here at work. This tastes like Christmas to me and is what my grandmother made every Christmas morning...

  5. #5
    Registered User dorayme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Posts
    1,236
    Pecan ginger cheesecake is my favorite holiday baked good. It's a hit unless there's a nut allergy. I've also substituted cranberry for ginger.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

  6. #6
    Registered User Maria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    So.. I bought myself a stand mixer for christmas this year. The Ice Cream maker thread went so well, I decided to turn to you again!

    I spent all weekend baking stuff for the upcoming holiday party but I've run out of ideas!

    What are your favorite things to bake during the holidays?

    What are your favorite things to bake EVER?

    Do you have a favorite baking blog? If so, what is it!?


    So far I've made:

    Chocolate Chip Cookies
    Lemon Sugar Cookies
    and Snicker Doodles.


    I have two more cookies planned for the holiday party, Hazelnut Lace (vegan) and Citrus Butter Cookies.

    Is that too many?
    Depends on if they are just for me (technically) - or do I have to share with everyone else? Seriously one cannot bake too many fabulous cookies.

    Even as an avid baker, I only follow a few baking blogs / recipe sites actually. I like to read explanations and tips in advance as to what to watch out for, etc. I have nearly 300 cookbooks - most of them baking and dessert related, and I've learned which ones to go to that never fail. Also, I need pictures!

    America's Test Kitchen - but you may have to subscribe for full recipes (wait until they have their half off subscription rate!). Sign up for their mailing and featured recipes are free!
    America’s Test Kitchen :: Welcome

    I also like the science of baking, and blog author's who have personality/humour plus have fantastic dessert recipes! When Lisa Yockelson has a new baking cookbook, I get it without even bothering to look at it first! - her work is that good!
    Baking Style Diary | beautiful baking with Lisa Yockelson

    Actually, same for Dorie Greenspan's recipes:
    Dorie Greenspan

    Epicurious - because you can look up a recipe by ingredient, and if I see something that looks fantastic in their magazine - before I try it - I read up if there are any comments submitted.
    Epicurious.com: Recipes, Menus, Cooking Articles & Food Guides

    In terms of holiday favourites that I or the family appreciate:
    - my great grandmother's "Surprise Pie" - if you like meringue and nuts and want something fast, easy, and fabulous - this is the one. Few ingredients too! Wouldn't be Christmas dinner without this as a dessert. (Although in our family that could also be said for baklava - but that takes a while to make.)
    - Also, my chocolate and cheese cake brownies are easy and a favourite. Not just for Christmas.
    - Plus "Lion Paw" cookies - little shortbread cookies shaped like lion paws - with slivered almonds for claws,and chocolate chips lathered underneath for the knuckles. However, they are time consuming an it takes me like five minutes to shape each cookie before baking - so admittedly they are rather a pain to make when one is in a rush or cooking for a crowd.

    I have a wonderful banana bread recipe - with coconut, pecans, cinnamon, and oh a couple of bananas. It freezes really well and that works for me because I will cut the loaf into thirds and freeze each section individually.
    I like to make cakes too - Black Forest is a treat, triple layer lemon curd cake, "upside down / inside out" German chocolate cake, Chocolate "White Out" Cake - triple layer chocolate cake with a marshmallow frosting!

    Okay Katy - I'm going to go dig around the kitchen for some chocolate now. I'll blame you for starting it!

    Happy baking!
    Last edited by Maria; 12-19-2011 at 11:43 AM.
    "Buy the best, cry once" - Pasquale

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    310
    I wish I knew how to bake & cook, but it's just best I stay out of the kitchen..haha
    Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

  8. #8
    I work at TOM BIHN Katy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pacific Northwet
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by xtal View Post
    One of the best baking blogs (in my opinion) is the King Arthur Flour one:
    King Arthur Flour

    Everything I've made from there has been excellent.

    My other go-to cooking blogs (which include a subset of dessert recipes) are:
    Simply Recipes Food and Cooking Blog
    and
    smitten kitchen

    I have a host of dessert/cookie recipes that I often turn to. I can post them if required, and they are (in no particular order): oatmeal raisin cookies, chocolate chip cookies, brownies, blondies, chocolate cappucino cheesecake, bread pudding, mint chocolate brownies, fruit pies (apple being my fave), etc.

    Best of luck!

    OH! That King Arthur Flour blog looks AMAZING!
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kailua-Kona Hawaii
    Posts
    14
    I made two batches of shortbread cookies (one vanilla/one cinnamon) just the other week. Think I got the recipes from "Fine Cooking"

  10. #10
    I work at TOM BIHN Katy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pacific Northwet
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    Pecan ginger cheesecake is my favorite holiday baked good. It's a hit unless there's a nut allergy. I've also substituted cranberry for ginger.

    Ahhhh!!! That looks AMAZING!
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

  11. #11
    Registered User dorayme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Posts
    1,236
    Katy, zomg it's so nummy!
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

  12. #12
    I work at TOM BIHN Katy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pacific Northwet
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by BPritchard View Post
    Desserts

    I get mine from Amazon. Packets for breakfast cereals and the small tin of tablets for hot drinks at home and on the go.
    Out of curiosity, how is this compared to say... Sweet & Low?
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    St Petersburg Florida
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    Out of curiosity, how is this compared to say... Sweet & Low?
    Not a chemical but an extract from the Stevia plant that has been used in South America and Asia for a long time.

    However, some Stevia brands have an after taste, the Sweet Leaf didn't. But a little goes a long way because of it's sweetness.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,778
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGirl View Post
    I wish I knew how to bake & cook, but it's just best I stay out of the kitchen..haha
    I belong to the same league as TXGirl, I don't know about her, but I am a willing tester.
    Last edited by backpack; 12-20-2011 at 06:56 AM.
    jeffmac and TXGirl like this.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sandhills of the Carolinas
    Posts
    24
    My wife says that the reason she bought our stand mixer was to make fudge. Most of the recipes I see printed out on the counter while she is working come from foodtv.com.

    Whenever we have extra stuff like fruit, I can be assured of a sweet bread loaf for breakfast!
    Last edited by johnbom; 12-23-2011 at 05:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0