Eneloops and other LSDs

Lately, I've been window-shopping at Thomas Distributing and Amazon for rechargeable batteries.

I use AAs and AAA-sized batteries for a wide variety of applications, from cameras and voice recorders to flashlights, microphones, GPS units and even a standalone caller-ID unit.

I'd like to get the newer-generation Low Self-Discharge, Nickel-Metal-Hydride batteries. The brand spearheading this LSD technology are the Sanyo Eneloops. I noticed that Sanyo is now shipping a newer, higher-power variety of the Eneloop, branded Eneloop XX. The AA-sized Eneloop XX's are supposed to be 2,500 mah capacity, whereas the "regular" Eneloops are supposedly 2,000 mah. I also noticed that MAHA/Powerex is pushing its Imedion line of LSD NiMHs at a lower cost, and they are supposedly 2,400 mah.

Do any of these numbers really mean anything?

I have used older NiMHs from 2002 to about 2010, with mixed results. I admit I let my batteries get old, but it seemed to me some of the oldest ones held the best charge. (Around 2005, I started using a MAHA MH-C808M "smart charger" with LCD display; that charger was damaged by an accident in 2010.) In the Spring of 2010, I tried out Nickel-Zinc batteries from PowerGenix, but they turned out to be a huge disappointment. They wear out quickly and I'm alarmed by how many of my PowerGenix AA cells have failed after less than a year. The NiZns don't seem to hold a charge as well as my best old NiMHs. Plus when I tried fresh NiZns in some flashlights, they burned out the bulbs.

So it's back to Square One, and I'm looking at Eneloops.

I was wondering if anyone can comment on this newer LSD NiMH technology, and these different kinds of batteries. If this isn't the BBS to be posting this subject matter, I apologize and would like to ask where a more appropriate place would be.

Thanks in advance,

--The Mountain Man
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

I thought we were already talking about this at some length and I know I commented on my Eneloop experience?
    Is there something different that you are looking to hear?
    Ed

Well, I've now entered the phase of purchasing a whole new set of batteries and a charger.

I wanted to start a fresh thread because I wanted to know if the numbers and the nomenclature of these various types of LSDs really meant anything or if they're all just the same.

If I were to take the Sanyo info at face value, then I would conclude that I should buy a large batch of the very expensive Eneloop XXs. (And this says nothing of the MAHA/Powerex Imedions.)
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

On a photography forum, I received these replies to the same topic raised here:

Go with the Eneloops. They really are the tried and true and most popular.

Now, as far as capacity goes. The last time I looked at the higher capacity Eneloops I thought they werent worth the added cost and just got more of the 2000mah ones. If thats no longer the case or you dont care about the cost, go for the larger ones.

Also this...

Many people on this forum will recommend the Eneloops. I use them myself and couldn't be happier! I also recommend getting the standard Eneloops since they are rechargeable up to 1500x with the newer kind. Although the extra capacity of the Eneloop XX looks nice, they take a hit in recharge cycles (only 500x).

Comments?

Sanyo Eneloops have one hell of a positive reputation,
    go with Sanyo.
    Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Author of 101 Financial Ratios 5.0
    Travel Lite & Smart

I held my breath this evening while I placed an order for 16 AA Eneloops, 16 AAA Eneloops (all ordinary white variety, at bulk cost) and a new MAHA AA/AAA smart charger. It was quite expensive, but I had to do something. Too many gadgets going dead on me lately.

Thanks for all the advice!

I had the same concerns when ordering mine.
    I stayed away from the newer higher capacity Eneloop as I was most interested in the battery life span than the small extra output and the smaller ones were already proven.
    I too researched them through photo websites as this would be my main intended usage for them.

What I am still not certain of at all is just how they will perform in other types of devices as compared with standard Alkalines?

I have a few distinct categories of need for batteries and the Eneloops I purchased for just one of them.
    I know that different types of load seem to do best with different types of battery chemistry but for the life of me I can not remember or keep it all straight in my head.

I use several flashlights all day long and my gut tells me to keep using standard alkalines in them were possible. The last thing I need is having to consider charging and output curves when I need to see something while working.

Likewise when shooting pictures I want something with the quick recovery and stamina to last with the demands of a flash recycle.

While using Ham Radio Transceivers the needs are different still especially in an emergency setting.

When camping or riding bikes at night are again another group.

So for me there are certain batteries I use for each task and until I have had time to really evaluate the differences in the field I am not going to chance breaking what works already.

Ed

I am a big user of Eneloops...likely have 40 AA and 20AAA. Which Maha charger did you get? The MH-C9000 is expensive, but provides lots of functionality and helps maintain the batteries.
    --------------------------------