Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: High-quality writing utensils?

This is my favorite thread ever! I need to go pen shopping now .
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    Oh a warning Katy - once you use a fine pen and quality paper - you'll never go back! (Like quality TB bags!)

Also, when you carry a fountain pen - it should be kept upright when you are out and about for fear of leaking. So my vote: a fountain pen pocket to be added to the Bihn bags!
    "Buy the best, cry once" - Pasquale

Quote Originally Posted by Maria View Post
    Oh a warning Katy - once you use a fine pen and quality paper - you'll never go back! (Like quality TB bags!)

Also, when you carry a fountain pen - it should be kept upright when you are out and about for fear of leaking. So my vote: a fountain pen pocket to be added to the Bihn bags!
    Being out of school really brought my desire for quality pens and paper to an end. I really need to start writing more notes, my hand writing is getting terrible! Maybe a fancy new pen will encourage me to work on my handwriting.
    backpack and ncb4 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria View Post
    I love that the pen pockets in my Cafe bags and Synapse are wide enough for my fountain pens to easily fit in them, though I wish all my TB bags had pen pockets.

My daily writers are Lamy Al-Stars and Safaris with extra-fine nibs. I'm partial to Noodler's inks (lots of bulletproof/waterproof options), and I recently discovered the ink samples from the Goulet Pen Company that pw1224 mentioned (and I agree it's a great company to order from).

Being out of school really brought my desire for quality pens and paper to an end. I really need to start writing more notes, my hand writing is getting terrible! Maybe a fancy new pen will encourage me to work on my handwriting.
    My handwriting is usually better when writing with fountain pens - I think it's a combination of pen ergonomics, good ink flow, and enjoying/savoring the writing process.
    Last edited by teresapoet; 08-30-2011 at 05:43 PM.

Dear lord, I don't need another expensive thing to spend money on. TB bags, cameras + lenses, now super high end pens?!?! >.<
    Katy likes this.

Black/Steel/Wasabi Super Ego, Cardinal/Steel 15"/13" Cadet, Cardinal/Steel Aeronaut, Olive/Cayenne 13" Ristretto, Camera Insert/Outsert, Horizontal Freudian Slip, 13" MBA Cache, Brain Cell for 13" Macbook, Steel Snake Charmer, FoT/FoJ pouch, Organizer Wallet, and more organizer pouches than I can shake a stick at.

Ahhh the fountain pen - ink - paper addiction. I was addicted to fountain pens before I heard about Tom Bihn. In fact, I learned about Tom Bihn bags from "manbag" discussions on the Fountain Pen Network forum.

My favorite fountain pens are Parker Frontiers with custom ground italic nibs and Lamy Safaris. My absolute favorite pen is the Bexley BX802 my husband gave me after I passed my orals for my Masters.

The fountain pen addiction extends to nibs, inks in all the colors of the rainbow from a variety of manufacturers and, of course, the paper you use. And then you need the proper bag to carry it in. And the Tom Bihn addiction begins.

As it's "back to school" time for many, and the weather turning to fall (in this part of the world) always brings out the feeling that I'm missing on something, even if it's been many years since I was in school. Hence - a small purchase of nice paper eases the addiction, or the withdrawal. Besides, using a fountain pen properly has really improved my hand writing. And in this day and age - a handwritten note is a lost art.

Quote Originally Posted by misterN View Post
    Dear lord, I don't need another expensive thing to spend money on. TB bags, cameras + lenses, now super high end pens?!?! >.<
    A fine pen is not "spending money", as it's an investment in something that can last a lifetime, even more than one lifetime. Yes, there are "super high end pens" that cost well over $100,000. That's certainly not my price point, but for a collector that has the cash - for them it's obviously worth it. Some people complain that TB bags as "expensive". I don't look upon them as expensive at all. For the quality, and the lasting value - they are technically cheap when you calculate the cost per use, the quality and not having to replace them often, etc. One can spend more in terms of quantity / volume, replacing something often when it falls apart, or is no longer needed. I'd rather look at it as quality over quantity. (Unless it's my collection - that is different! Because to me - it's all quality and hence I want quantity too.)

Cheers!
    "Buy the best, cry once" - Pasquale

The link below gives information on Seattle fountain pen shops.

Seattle Trip - The Fountain Pen Network

A good bet to find cheaper fountain pens is to check, frequent, roam (choose verb according to the level of enthusiasm about fountain pens, inks and soon stationery): independent stationery stores in the business district especially, independent bookstores, closeout or overstock stores.
    Last edited by backpack; 08-31-2011 at 08:22 AM.

Speaking of fountain pens, I just bought about a month ago, the Pilot Vanishing point. Its was $120. I got the extra fine nib, and I must say this is a really nice pen to write with. I use levenger circa paper and Rhodia paper with it. Check it out. Compliments my 7 Tom Bihn bags quite nicely.

Amazon.com: Pilot Vanishing Point Retractable Fountain Pen, Black with Rhodium Accents, Medium Nib, (60242): Office Products

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    The link below gives information on Seattle fountain pen shops.

Seattle Trip - The Fountain Pen Network

A good bet to find cheaper fountain pens is to check, frequent, roam (choose verb according to the level of enthusiasm about fountain pens, inks and soon stationery): independent stationery stores in the business district especially, independent bookstores, closeout or overstock stores.

Oh! Thank you! I think I know where I'll be going on Saturday .

I'm on the edge of purchasing the Lany Safari for myself off of Amazon...must resist >.<

Black/Steel/Wasabi Super Ego, Cardinal/Steel 15"/13" Cadet, Cardinal/Steel Aeronaut, Olive/Cayenne 13" Ristretto, Camera Insert/Outsert, Horizontal Freudian Slip, 13" MBA Cache, Brain Cell for 13" Macbook, Steel Snake Charmer, FoT/FoJ pouch, Organizer Wallet, and more organizer pouches than I can shake a stick at.

Quote Originally Posted by misterN View Post
    I'm on the edge of purchasing the Lany Safari for myself off of Amazon...must resist >.<
    That's what I'm considering. It seems like a great starter fountain pen!

And maybe a notebook to go with it....

Interesting thread! Ever since I got introduced to the Handspring Treo, I have been "writing" using my PDA/phones, including heavy business-related writing projects.

It is always thrilling to see & read real handwriting, but I personally do very little of it. Reading this thread, however, brought back memories of handwriting; how one took time to think through, savor, and carefully choose the words to commit to handwriting.

On a somewhat related note,I tried the Sharpie Liquid Pencil yesterday.
    What a Bizarre device!
    Feels much like a cross between a Pencil and a Pen but fully erases and evidently is a Graphite Liquid of some kind.
    They are cheap and worth a try I think,I really like using a pencil during the workday when doing technical things but with the obvious caveats too.
    This thing really does speak to many of the issues with a standard pencil and also with mechanical ones with breaking lead.

Something about it is so Wrong but also something is so Right?

Go Technology!

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    On a somewhat related note,I tried the Sharpie Liquid Pencil yesterday.
    What a Bizarre device!
    I tried these when I picked up some back to school supplies for my kidlets. I hated them. The one I purchased didn't work. It skipped so badly that I had to make multiple passes to read what I had written, and it didn't stop happening with a bit of use. Maybe I purchased a bad batch?
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0