Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Anyone own both a Kindle and an iPad? Need advice

Anyone own both a Kindle and an iPad? Need advice

I finally broke down and purchased an iPad in May. It hadn't interested me all that much before then; that is, until Apple reduced the price drastically on 1st generation models (nearly $150). So I broke down and bought one, rationalizing the purchase because I'm a writer and freelance editor, and more and more of my friends and clients are doing a lot of e-publishing. (Two of my own YA novels recently were released as Kindle titles as well.) OK, so I really wanted a new toy!

For my own reading, I didn't think I'd be that interested in Kindle or iBooks titles, as the look, feel, design, and even smell of books is very important to me. Plus, I use inter-library loan for much of my reading. Otherwise, the walls of my house would fall down from the weight of all the books I'd buy. But to my surprise, I've enjoyed reading books on my iPad far more than I thought, and I can certainly see the value of e-books when trying to travel light. I use the free Kindle reader app on my iPad, and I've bought more Kindle titles than I would have expected.

I like my iPad because it renders books in color; the Kindle only handles grayscale. Because the iPad is backlit, I can read books in the dark; I understand that's not possible with the Kindle. I also like the fact that the iPad can do a multitude of different things beyond reading books. As far as I know, all you can do with a Kindle is read.

However, the Kindle weighs less and is smaller than the iPad, has much longer battery life, and it apparently does one thing well that my iPad cannot—the Kindle is readable outdoors. I do a lot of my reading outside, and that is a terrible experience on the iPad: too much glare. I'd looked into glare-reducing screen protectors, but most reviews of those say they don't help much.

Since Kindle prices have dropped so low, and I'm starting to read more Kindle books, I've been wondering if it would be worthwhile to buy one. On the other hand, do I really need both an iPad and a Kindle? It seems redundant.

So I wondered how many folks on the forum had both devices and could share their experiences. Are you happy you bought both of them? In terms of reading, which device do you find yourself using more? Are there any other things you can do with a Kindle besides read? Lastly, if you would recommend a Kindle to an iPad owner, which version is best: the WiFi only, or the WiFi with 3G?

Thanks!

I have both and I have not turned the Kindle on since getting an iPad the day they came out,except to see if it still works.

Your Mileage may differ from mine but I just have no use for the Kindle anymore but of course I ca still use the Kindle library if I want to.

Ed
    ncb4 likes this.

I have a Kobo ereader. I like it because it is dead simple and doesn't try to do too much. I also read a lot in the sun. It is light in weight and has a nice quilted back that makes it comfy to hold..

I download books from the public library and other sources and since I can download a bunch before I go on a trip, I wouldn't bother with 3g.

Quote Originally Posted by jannilee View Post
    I have a Kobo ereader. I like it because it is dead simple and doesn't try to do too much. I also read a lot in the sun. It is light in weight and has a nice quilted back that makes it comfy to hold..

I download books from the public library and other sources and since I can download a bunch before I go on a trip, I wouldn't bother with 3g.
    I'm not familiar with the Kobo ereader; I'll have to Google it. That's great that you can download books from the public library! Amazon keeps saying that Kindles will add that ability sometime later this year, but we'll see.

I have both the Kindle Wifi and the iPad Wifi. I'll be honest when I say that I rarely use the iPad for reading my Kindle books. I really like my Kindle for a couple of reasons. I use my Kindle when working out--it makes running on the elliptical or on a bike machine much better (I don't get bored as fast.) Obviously the Kindle performs much much better outdoors--which I like when I'm sitting out by the pool during the hot summer days. I feel more comfortable using my Kindle when working out because if it falls--I don't have to worry about a broken screen and a broken 400 dollar device.
    ncb4 likes this.

Black/Steel/Wasabi Super Ego, Cardinal/Steel 15"/13" Cadet, Cardinal/Steel Aeronaut, Olive/Cayenne 13" Ristretto, Camera Insert/Outsert, Horizontal Freudian Slip, 13" MBA Cache, Brain Cell for 13" Macbook, Steel Snake Charmer, FoT/FoJ pouch, Organizer Wallet, and more organizer pouches than I can shake a stick at.

Yeah, the other good thing about the kobo is that it isn't proprietary. You can download books from anywhere to it. I think borders sells/sold them in the us. Since they are going bankrupt you might get a deal. Also sold at wallie mart and best buy.

I have both an iPad and a kindle. Unless I am traveling and want to use only one device (iPad), I use my kindle for reading. I think the resolution is a bit sharper. Also the glare from the ipad can be a problem causing the need for frequent repositioning the iPad if I am near a window. I find my eyes get tired more quickly with the iPad than with the kindle. Finally, I read a lot in bed and if I fall asleep while reading, the kindle hurts less when it falls since it is lighter!>)
    ncb4 likes this.

Cool Both

I used to use my Netbook as my EBook reader. When the Kindle came down in price I bought one.
    I prefer reading on the Kindle, especially outside. I have the 3rd generation, cover with built-in light, and WiFi.
    WiFi works fine since hot spots are readily available.
    I have all my technical manuals loaded on the Kindle also. However, it is easier reading them on my netbook; especially for searches and notations.
    I'll be replacing my Netbook with a tablet. I'm waiting to see what Amazon comes out with.
    When I do get a tablet, I will use the Kindle for book reading and the tablet for the tech manuals.
    ncb4 likes this.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

I hope people will keep chiming in, but thanks everyone for your input so far. It's definitely helped me. That's three out of five votes so far for "both." I'm leaning towards purchasing one, especially since I can get a refurb model with a one-year warranty from Amazon Warehouse for either $99 (WiFi only) or $129 (3G). This is the 3rd gen model. I haven't quite made up my mind yet; I wish I could see one and hold it my hands, and believe it or not, no one I know around here owns one, and I've never seen anybody reading one out in public that I could cheekily go up to and ask, "Can I look at your Kindle for a moment?" the way people come up to me and ask to look at my Macbook Air or my iPad.

Oh, and another thing: I've already got a TB sleeve for it! I bought the Kindle Sleeve several months ago, not for a Kindle obviously since I don't have one. But I loved the Cayenne Ultrasuede, and just wanted to have a pouch in that fabric and color. I figured I'd find a use for it; maybe now I can!

My vote is to get a kindle. You're a writer, so you're probably looking at a screen all day anyway. It's nice to get a brake.
    Disclosure: I do not own either an iPad or a Kindle.
    Last edited by thisisme; 08-15-2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: fixing typo
    My little set of TB stuff:
    Western Flyer (steel/ultraviolet)
    Small Pouch (cork)
    Large Shop Bag (solar)
    packing cubes

Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    I hope people will keep chiming in, but thanks everyone for your input so far. It's definitely helped me. That's three out of five votes so far for "both." I'm leaning towards purchasing one, especially since I can get a refurb model with a one-year warranty from Amazon Warehouse for either $99 (WiFi only) or $129 (3G). This is the 3rd gen model. I haven't quite made up my mind yet; I wish I could see one and hold it my hands, and believe it or not, no one I know around here owns one, and I've never seen anybody reading one out in public that I could cheekily go up to and ask, "Can I look at your Kindle for a moment?" the way people come up to me and ask to look at my Macbook Air or my iPad.
    Not sure where you live, but BestBuy and Staples sell Kindles. There you could get the look and feel.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

Good idea! Then you could compare the kindle to the other ereaders including kobo.

Quote Originally Posted by BPritchard View Post
    Not sure where you live, but BestBuy and Staples sell Kindles. There you could get the look and feel.
    I live in the middle of nowhere, but I happen to be in a city that has both a Best Buy and a Staples, so I'll definitely check there after my appointment this afternoon. I didn't realize Kindles were sold at any brick-and-mortar stores. Thanks for letting me know.

hello folks:
    thanks for starting this chain--this has been an increasing dilemma for many of us, who do not want to own both.
    Yes: the Kindle seems more suited for reading long hours than the IPAD, but the IPAD can do much more than just be a reader. So, for me, it depends a bit on how long you read per day. My reading is limited to about 2 hours at night for fun; the rest of the time I am at work anyhow and reading on my computer there!
    The IPAD 2 has a bit more features for the Kindle app too I hear--for annotating and such like; and you do the have the option of the IBOOKS --too.

Since I tend to read a lot of online newspapers, blogs and such like, the Kindle alone will not meet my needs--so that is something to keep in mind too. It is strictly for books.

My students use the IPAD to download textbooks too....!

shiva
    ncb4 likes this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0