Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Anyone own both a Kindle and an iPad? Need advice

Of Note: Amazon sometimes runs some really good deals with their "Kindle with offers." One example was a 20% off a notebook computer purchased through Amazon. A lot of people used that to pick up some Macbook Air's for real cheap.

Black/Steel/Wasabi Super Ego, Cardinal/Steel 15"/13" Cadet, Cardinal/Steel Aeronaut, Olive/Cayenne 13" Ristretto, Camera Insert/Outsert, Horizontal Freudian Slip, 13" MBA Cache, Brain Cell for 13" Macbook, Steel Snake Charmer, FoT/FoJ pouch, Organizer Wallet, and more organizer pouches than I can shake a stick at.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
    Since I tend to read a lot of online newspapers, blogs and such like, the Kindle alone will not meet my needs--so that is something to keep in mind too. It is strictly for books.
    shiva
    Actually, you can subscribe to newspapers via the Kindle, and read blogs. It's just awkward typing in URLs on those little round buttons.

If you choose to get a kindle, the wifi only version will be a good choice. Most folks don't need 3g unless they rarely or never have access to wifi, or subscribe to a daily blog or newspaper/magazine on the kindle. Books only take a minute of two to download and you will be able to easily take advantage of free wifi at lots of places for the few minutes needs to get a number of books which should keep you going for several days to several weeks depending on how much you read. If you do subscribe to a paper, magazine, or blog and do not have ready or easy access to wifi, 3g is the route to go as it will almost always be there.
    ncb4 likes this.

I tried a newspaper subscription on the Kindle. Rather cumbersome and not as easy to navigate as the actual online site.
    The only advantage is you don't have to be connected all the time to read an issue.

Switching from my NetBook to a tablet will be also welcomed. Easier to hold in the hands or lap.
    Most likely a Christmas present once I see what Amazon and others haves in store for a tablet in the coming months.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

I have both and the only time I get the Kindle out any more is when/if I think I'm gonna read in bright sunlight. The iPad display really isn't that good in those conditions. But that's the only time. And the iPad has sufficient additional functionality that it's a no-brainer to have. I also almost never use my MacBook Pro any more, either! On my trip home from London last Friday, I watched a movie, read a magazine, listened to my iPod, read a book, checked my offline TripIt account to see how tight my connection was gonna be. All on my iPad. I use it at conferences to take notes (with the really good MindJet app), edit basic Word & Powerpoint docs for work, and I have all of my personal and business email accounts & calendars synced to it.
    YonkDaddy!
    Black/Iberian Aeronaut, Steel/Wasabi Synapse25, Black/UV Synapse19, Black/Steel Western Flyer, Black Checkpoint Flyer, Steel/Wasabi Side Effect, Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, Travel Tray, numerous packing cubes, organizer pouches

I stand corrected: did not know Kindle did magazines etc.,
    Yonkdaddy: yes: the additional functionalities is what makes me lean towards IPAD. I got a MacBook Air for work related travel only cos I still find it easier to do tons of editing the old fashioned way--using MSOffice Suite. I can do some things on the fly on the IPad, but can't do longer edits.
    Can you tell me what you use to edit word and powerpoint? I know you can read them via Pages and Keynote for IPAD. I also know that the way IPAD stores files is a bit awkward...is this something one gets used to doing? Earlier in the forum someone said they just stored everything to Dropbox.
    What is MindJet?
    Finally: I know you can use the Ipad to hook up to a projector. But I found that the adapter runs off of the charger port--so you can either charge or do the presentation but not both--which seems a bit of a pain, especially if you are doing something for a while, and/or your Ipad is not fully charged. thoughts on it? or do you know of any other split adapter?!

shiva

Hey Shiva... My "Productivity Suite" for my iPad has Pages & Keynote for substantial document editing or creation. I also use PDF Expert to review, highlight, and annotate PDF files. For lightweight editing and for spreadsheets (I don't do much there) I use DocsToGo.... it can do some Word doc editing, too. You might try Evernote as well... it's a handy way to create all kinds of random notes & have them available across all your devices. I use DropBox and Box.Net; all of these apps will store stuff there. Mindjet is a "mindmap" (Google this or check Wikipedia if you need a more detailed explanation of the method) based note-taking application. They have Windows, Mac (though it's not compatible with Lion until next week), and iOS. This is my favorite way to take notes on the fly. Once you have a mindmap, you can publish via PDF or export to a Word outline. You should check this out!

I have no experience with any split adaptors so can't help there.
    YonkDaddy!
    Black/Iberian Aeronaut, Steel/Wasabi Synapse25, Black/UV Synapse19, Black/Steel Western Flyer, Black Checkpoint Flyer, Steel/Wasabi Side Effect, Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, Travel Tray, numerous packing cubes, organizer pouches

FWIW Apple does sell a digital AV adapter which will connect to a HDMI port while allowing a charging to occur - has a HDMI out port and 30pin connector port. Not sure if they offermsomething comparable with other output.

Just checked. Apple does offer composite and component out cables which include a USB connector for use with a power source.
    Last edited by rabergnc; 08-15-2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Update

Volunteer Moderator
    Basically, only get the Kindle if you're really a hardcore reader. As in, you spend 10+ hours a week reading. Not "I will when I get the Kindle," but "I currently go to the bookstore regularly and buy books to read and currently read those books 10+ hours a week." Otherwise go with iPad for the added functionality when you're not reading.

I have one of the really old Kindles that still have Whispernet without my paying for it. Haven't touched it in months. Before that, maybe a year or two? I read on my iPhone. Which is to say, I don't read much.
    Last edited by Just; 08-16-2011 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    Basically, only get the Kindle if you're really a hardcore reader. As in, you spend 10+ hours a week reading. Not "I will when I get the Kindle," but "I currently go to the bookstore regularly and buy books to read and currently read those books 10+ hours a week." Otherwise go with iPad for the added functionality when you're not reading.

I have one of the really old Kindles that still have Whispernet without my paying for it. Haven't touched it in months. Before that, maybe a year or two? I read on my iPhone. Which is to say, I don't read much.
    This is a great way to look at it, though I might modify it a bit for my own situation. First, I already own the iPad, and second, I am a hardcore reader. But right now, the bulk of my reading is done in print, so the question for me is how many of those 10+ hours will shift from print to ebooks? Since purchasing the iPad, I've noted an accelerating change in my reading patterns towards ebooks, but I'm not sure if that will continue or not. I really do rely on interlibrary loan, which is free! And I still do like the more multi-sensory experience of reading a print book. Second, since I already own the iPad, how much of my electronic reading will be done in conditions where the iPad is suboptimal: i.e., outdoors? I read outside on a daily basis, almost year round, and the iPad is simply unacceptable under those lighting conditions. But I need to figure out if I would spend enough time reading outdoors—and reading ebooks—to justify purchasing a Kindle. Hmmm....

ncb4, I like older authors. There is a vast library of older books available for free download.

Both my wife & I are avid readers. There is almost not a day when we don't read for at least a few minutes before bed on my iPad, and I often will take out a book for a few minutes at lunchtime using my iPhone as well. I should add that I have both iBooks & Kindle Reader on both my iPad and iPhone, and they sync bookmarks/page-placement, so when you put a book down in one place and open it in the other (as long as you have data access), you will always be greeted with your current spot!

My wife is a particularly voracious reader; on a trip to Fiji a few years ago she filled a substantial portion of bag room with books and went through them all; had to buy more in Sydney on our way home! That was our initial impetus for purchasing her first Kindle.

I do sometimes miss going to the bookstore... they smell good. But we haven't purchased a paper book other than a travel guidebook (damn... found the "Maui Revealed" GPS-enabled app right after we bought the book!). But I think that between iBooks & Kindle Store there are very many ways to learn about new reading opportunities, between users' ratings, comprehensive best seller lists, etc. I usually carry around 20-30 books with me at all times!

To be honest and balanced, there is another downside to the (original) iPad... it is a bit heavy compared to the Kindle. I suspect that an iPad 2 would be much better in that regard,though.

I keep the Kindle primarily as a standby for use next to the pool. On our upcoming trip to Maui, both the iPad and Kindle will go.
    ncb4 and snowbot like this.
    YonkDaddy!

Ok, I don't have an iPad or a Kindle. I do have a Nook. And and iPod Touch. I've been reading ebooks for years, I started reading them on my first Palm device and just continued. I love books, they're one of my favorite things. But I like long books too and they can get heavy. And I have a series of girls books I inherited from my grandmother. They're over 100 years old now. I'm afraid to handle them. But they're available at Projecy Guttenburg (and Manybooks.net). And I like free books. I'm slowly getting the books in that series as they show up there. And the books I don't have as well. My Touch has the Nook app, the Kindle app, and the Kobo app. My desktop has both Nook and Kindle for PC. B&N has forums with a good bit in information in them. Amazon may have as well. And I'd definitely recommend Best Buy to look at them in person. The one by me had most of the major ereaders in the store so you could compare them too.
    Indigo/Black Swift, Kiwi little Swift, Indigo Side Effect, Punch Small Cafe bag, Plum Clear Organizer Wallet, Tall Yarn Stuff sacks in Solar and Steel,

We just got an iPad and me and the better half both have Kindles. I can't imagine using the iPad for major reading. Sounds like I'm the odd duck from other responses. The iPad is pretty heavy to hold and I find the Kindle weight to be nice. I also work on computers all day and the backlit screen kills my eyes. Reading the Kindle is so relaxing like reading a book. I really can't see someone being a heavy reader with an iPad. The better half just tears through book after book and she loves her Kindle but the iPad is new so we shall see.
    Owner of : Imago, Aeronaut, Brain Bag, Smart Alec, Synapse, Co-Pilot

I should say that if you want to be a minimalist then getting a tablet for both Internet and reading is the way to go.

But after thinking about this for a while I must say that there are other nice options. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is a nice tablet. If you have an iPhone or Mac computer then it makes sense to go iPad. If you don't, an Android tablet can make more sense. I was so very annoyed when I found out that before I could do anything with the iPad I had to register it with iTunes. My father was going to use this as his main Internet device but for some reason Apple forces you to consider it more of an accessory to your existing computer. Apple does some things really well but they really annoy me when it comes to forcing decisions on the users. Sorry for the rant.
    Owner of : Imago, Aeronaut, Brain Bag, Smart Alec, Synapse, Co-Pilot

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0