Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Ice Cream

If it looks like the eggs curdled, it could be the tempering like you said ... it'll come out a little like scrambled eggs. I'd suggest a non-egg/custard recipe first just to get you going! I also have the Cuisinart from the Costco.

Here's a couple of no-cook recipes (from 1981 no less!)

Vanilla Ice Cream
    2 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    2 3/4 cups half-and-half
    1 tbsp vanilla extract
    1 cup whipping or heavy whipping cream

In large bowl, beat eggs until thick and lemon colored. Beat in sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in half-and half, vanilla and whipping cream. Pour into ice cream canister and freeze in ice cream maker per manufacturer's directions. Makes about 2 quarts.

Old-fashioned strawberry (or the fruit of your choice)
    3 cups fresh strawberries
    2 eggs
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    2 cups half-and-half
    1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Wash and remove caps of strawberries, puree in a blender or food processor. In large bowl, beat eggs until thick and lemon colored. Beat in sugar, half-and-half, vanilla and whipping cream. Stir in blended strawberries. Pour into ice cream canister and freeze in ice cream maker per manufacturer's directions. Makes about 2 quarts.

We've used both of these with fantastic results, and since the ingredients are already cold they don't need to be refrigerated prior to freezing.

One of our favorite variations is to add crushed/macerated fresh mint leaves and mini chocolate chips to the vanilla recipe for chocolate chip mint ice cream.
    Awwww... Now I've gone and drooled all over my keyboard...
    Ted

SuperEgo in black/steel/wasabi; Aeronaut in cardinal/steel; Horizontal Cache (2M) in charcoal; Travel Tray in Ultraviolet

Quote Originally Posted by Flinx View Post
    Here's a couple of no-cook recipes (from 1981 no less!)

Vanilla Ice Cream
    2 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    2 3/4 cups half-and-half
    1 tbsp vanilla extract

In large bowl, beat eggs until thick and lemon colored. Beat in sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in half-and half, vanilla and whipping cream. Pour into ice cream canister and freeze in ice cream maker per manufacturer's directions. Makes about 2 quarts.

Old-fashioned strawberry (or the fruit of your choice)
    3 cups fresh strawberries
    2 eggs
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    2 cups half-and-half
    1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Wash and remove caps of strawberries, puree in a blender or food processor. In large bowl, beat eggs until thick and lemon colored. Beat in sugar, half-and-half, vanilla and whipping cream. Stir in blended strawberries. Pour into ice cream canister and freeze in ice cream maker per manufacturer's directions. Makes about 2 quarts.

We've used both of these with fantastic results, and since the ingredients are already cold they don't need to be refrigerated prior to freezing.

One of our favorite variations is to add crushed/macerated fresh mint leaves and mini chocolate chips to the vanilla recipe for chocolate chip mint ice cream.
    Awwww... Now I've gone and drooled all over my keyboard...

These are older than I am! This is sort of how I imagined ice cream making to be, whip some stuff together, throw it into the machine and press go. Easy! Clearly my wants are much more sophisticated than my ice cream making skills.

I like the Mint Chip idea! That's my number two favorite ice cream flavor (number one is Molly Moon's Meyer Lemon *sigh* seasonal flavor)!
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    These are older than I am! This is sort of how I imagined ice cream making to be, whip some stuff together, throw it into the machine and press go. Easy! Clearly my wants are much more sophisticated than my ice cream making skills.

I like the Mint Chip idea! That's my number two favorite ice cream flavor (number one is Molly Moon's Meyer Lemon *sigh* seasonal flavor)!
    Mint Chip is one of my favorites, too. And I agree with Flinx that trying an eggless (for some reason this is called Philadelphia style) recipe might be best. Though once you feel more comfortable with your ice cream-making chops, I'll bet you try the Peachgasm recipe again and have no trouble at all.

I'll refreeze my mixing bowl overnight tonight and try the basic vanilla that Flinx posted. I feel like I'm better prepared to accomplish this now .

Quote Originally Posted by tCook View Post
    If it looks like the eggs curdled, it could be the tempering like you said ... it'll come out a little like scrambled eggs. I'd suggest a non-egg/custard recipe first just to get you going! I also have the Cuisinart from the Costco.
    I posted a picture of what it looked like after I added the peach puree. Which color did you get? Mine is red, it matches my blender .

Mine is red, too! Yours didn't look all *that* bad - I probably would have tried it anyway. Didn't know you could make it with eggs that weren't tempered at all, but you learn something new every day!

I'd do something like this:

2 cups heavy whipping cream
    2 cups half-and-half cream
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Heavy cream + half and half is too rich for me, but that's an individual choice. Mix it all together until the sugar is completely dissolved and add the vanilla last, then either chill it again or just go for it in the ice cream maker. Also, I tend to modify recipes to about 3 cups of liquid because it grows as it freezes and some "climbs" up the edges. Although that's a good excuse to do a lot of sampling.

Quote Originally Posted by tCook View Post
    Libby made this and said the brown sugar base was fantastic. Candied Bacon Ice Cream Recipe | David Lebovitz
    Another vote here for any David Lebovitz ice cream recipe.

His book "the perfect scoop" is my ice cream bible ... he goes through the techniques in detail and has heaps of yummy recipes.

Love the Roquefort & honey one.
    List under construction ....

We've got this Cuisinart.

It works as well as any other I would guess.

And yes, a small warning about the 2 recipes I posted... They do tend to overflow just a little bit, which as noted does provide a good reason for sampling!

Another trick we tried was to infuse the half-and-half with fresh lavender. We found the following:
    • use cold half-and-half; heating it will extract the bitterness in lavender (hard lesson learned!)
    • wrap the lavender in cheesecloth for the infusion, or strain it through cheesecloth after (no-brainer here)
    • leave it in just until you can taste the lavender; if you leave it in too long, once again the bitterness will kill it

This is for a very mild flavored lavender ice cream... I'm sure there's a way to extract the essence of lavender prior to adding it to the ice cream for more flavor, but we generally don't want to wait that long!
    Ted

SuperEgo in black/steel/wasabi; Aeronaut in cardinal/steel; Horizontal Cache (2M) in charcoal; Travel Tray in Ultraviolet

We've got this Cuisinart.

It works as well as any other I would guess.

And yes, a small warning about the 2 recipes I posted... They do tend to overflow just a little bit, which as noted does provide a good reason for sampling!

Another trick we tried was to infuse the half-and-half with fresh lavender. We found the following:
    • use cold half-and-half; heating it will extract the bitterness in lavender (hard lesson learned!)
    • wrap the lavender in cheesecloth for the infusion, or strain it through cheesecloth after (no-brainer here)
    • leave it in just until you can taste the lavender; if you leave it in too long, once again the bitterness will kill it

This is for a very mild flavored lavender ice cream... I'm sure there's a way to extract the essence of lavender prior to adding it to the ice cream for more flavor, but we generally don't want to wait that long!

This is a good idea! We have a lavender plant on the porch so this could be easy . The flowers seem to emit more scent when they're crushed, maybe it's the same with flavor. I'll crush them up a bit and put it into a tea ball.

Do you have any experience with frozen yogurt?

I almost got the same ice cream maker, it was $59 on the costco website so I figured they may have it in the store, but they only had the red one and I am not all that patient so I just went for it.

No frozen yogurt experience, sorry.

Will be fun to experiment with it though, if we get our summer back.
    Ted

No frozen yogurt experience, sorry.

Will be fun to experiment with it though, if we get our summer back.
    I'm happy with our weather lately. It's warm, but not too warm.

Then again, Eliam and I were lined up at the Molly Moon's Truck in December quite often.

Now I need a waffle cone maker *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post
    Another vote here for any David Lebovitz ice cream recipe.

His book "the perfect scoop" is my ice cream bible ... he goes through the techniques in detail and has heaps of yummy recipes.

Love the Roquefort & honey one.
    Ok! I give in! I guess I'll grab it on my way home from work .

I see there is a frozen yogurt recipe in the book as well.
    tCook likes this.

Ok! I give in! I guess I'll grab it on my way home from work .

I see there is a frozen yogurt recipe in the book as well.
    Even if you buy the Lebovitz book, you're still way ahead with your $29 Costco Cuisinart. That being said, I haven't broken down and bought the book yet, but I have spent a lot of time on his blog.

He uses lots of egg yolks in his recipes; that's a bit much for me, so I usually substitute three whole eggs instead—enough to get the smoother, creamier texture from the eggs, but not so much that the eggy flavor is too dominant. But maybe you should try his recipes exactly the way he has them first, and save the experimentation to later.

That grapefruit and Campari sorbet looks interesting.

I'm happy with our weather lately. It's warm, but not too warm.

Then again, Eliam and I were lined up at the Molly Moon's Truck in December quite often.

Now I need a waffle cone maker *sigh*

Dear Katy, please advise forum members when the weather is like that in Seattle, especially in the middle of freezing winter in most part of the country.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0