Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: Your photos!

So, due to circumstances beyond my control (actually 100% in my control, but lets ignore that), I found myself needing to sell some personal possessions on eBay/Craigslist. Now, usually pictures that are up on eBay are not the greatest, so I decided to look into finding the way to take nice product pictures like the staff do here at Tom Bihn. There are a lot of options when it comes to that--did I want to go spend a lot of money on it? No. So that brings me to this "still life" box. I was looking on Adorama.com and they had something for 30 bucks, which looked meh. So I decided to make my own version of that (with the help of the internet). Enter Foam-board, tag-board, duct tape, tissue paper, and one extremely sharp razor blade. I ended up making this!

I had to buy the two desk lamps you see there--which are putting out good light, but I'm having a great deal of issues getting the white balance to be correct.

Anyways, to make this long story not as long--I'm getting ready to sell my "old" Nikon d3100. I decided that I had wanted a different telephoto zoom lens (70-300 VR) versus the 55-200 I had. The new lens is in this middle area between consumer and pro lenses (prosumer). ANYWAYS. If you bought a Camera, you could get 200 dollars off the lens I was looking at. So I decided to take the dive and pick up the D7000 I've been drooling over after I learned a bit about photography (erm... photo equipment.)

ANYWAYS.

I thought this turned out quite well, considering everything. My 18-55 mm lens that came as part of my D3100 kit.

Anyways--one of these days I might upload some more fun pictures. However right now, the last thing I want to do is think about the Brewer's game tonight...so.... Gütten nacht.

(Incase any of you were wondering about the 70-300 vs 55-200. Here's a quick little size comparison.)

(Yes, I realize that for whatever reason, the stupid camera focused behind the lenses. I was shooting using Tethered Capture on lightroom 3)

GOOD NIGHT AND HAPPY TUESDAY!

Black/Steel/Wasabi Super Ego, Cardinal/Steel 15"/13" Cadet, Cardinal/Steel Aeronaut, Olive/Cayenne 13" Ristretto, Camera Insert/Outsert, Horizontal Freudian Slip, 13" MBA Cache, Brain Cell for 13" Macbook, Steel Snake Charmer, FoT/FoJ pouch, Organizer Wallet, and more organizer pouches than I can shake a stick at.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Way cool still life box and photos, Zach. Enjoy the new photo and lens... I hope you post lots of new photos that you take with them!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Taken thru a car window. 1/125 f/4.5 at 35mm.

Black/Steel/Wasabi Super Ego, Cardinal/Steel 15"/13" Cadet, Cardinal/Steel Aeronaut, Olive/Cayenne 13" Ristretto, Camera Insert/Outsert, Horizontal Freudian Slip, 13" MBA Cache, Brain Cell for 13" Macbook, Steel Snake Charmer, FoT/FoJ pouch, Organizer Wallet, and more organizer pouches than I can shake a stick at.

Beautiful!

This was taken with the lens #2 in my comment. I got my hands on one to test with it and it is AMAZING!

Hopefully there will be some sun here soon. The picture above is of my none-too-amused father who didn't care for me taking his picture. 1/40 sec shutter speed means theres a bit of camera shake as well

On the bright side, the bokeh (the nonfocused part of the picture) looks amazing.
    Last edited by misterN; 11-22-2011 at 09:43 PM.
    Darcy and backpack like this.

Sunset for 36,000 feet.

Downtown Chitown

misterN, here is one that is the same idea, but without your execution.

Name:  chitown.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  184.3 KB

How do you get such great shots through an aircraft window?

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    That is one cool photo. I just posted it on Facebook.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmac View Post
    misterN, here is one that is the same idea, but without your execution.

Name:  chitown.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  184.3 KB

How do you get such great shots through an aircraft window?
    Mine is a bit different than yours. Mine wasn't too difficult to take due to the fact that for the most part, I didn't need to correctly expose the shot. I wanted the sunset to be the main point of view and the rest of the sky that was dark, isn't really as important. The wing of the airplane added a forward point of focus. In your picture, in order for picture to expose properly for the city lights, you needed a longer exposure time, or higher iso. Increasing the iso increases the noise. Taking a skyline picture from a long distance always is difficult. You would need an exceptionally fast lens (f/1.2 or 1.4) that handles comas very well in order to get a great quality exposure from it.

My city shots that I tried to get while flying at night didn't turn out well at all, due to all of the above.

Thanks for the comments about the shot though, I do appreciate it

Part of me thinks it'd be amazing to jump out of a plane and shoot photos on the way down.

Back to the first part of your question tho: it's difficult with when the inside lighting is on.

Starting to look like winter in Wisconsin finally.

10 AM

1 PM

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    all of the cool from my plane window sky pictures inspired me to share this one from my trip last year to Seattle. No fancy equipment, just my iPhone. Mt. Rainier.
    Last edited by dorayme; 01-12-2012 at 05:54 PM.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Lovely picture Dorayme, I haven't had a window seat in a plane for ages .. but I did have a nice view last night.

Sydney, on Flickr.
    List under construction ....

Sorry the picture is so big.

I took this snapshot of my husband reclining on a hammock on the "beach" at Disney's Polynesian Resort at Walt Disney World this past Monday. It was our last day (our flight was later that afternoon), and we just wanted to squeeze in a bit more time looking like we had a lounging-around weekend. In actuality, this was the only time we had to visit the hammocks (we were there for the half-marathon).

Note the nice fake volcano in the background. That's a water slide. Hehe.

Oh... I did manage to catch a palm tree in the reflection of his sunglasses, though. The tree is real, and not fake.

Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    all of the cool from my plane window sky pictures inspired me to share this one from my trip last year to Seattle. No fancy equipment, just my iPhone. Mt. Rainier.

Oh man. I love that mountain! We're so lucky to live and work in such a beautiful place.
    dorayme likes this.
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

This is one of my favorite pictures. From Florence in 2007.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0