Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: passionate about food!

Quote Originally Posted by jannilee View Post
    I have a high-powered immersion blender that is great for making fkas and is also very convenient for smoothing out (snicker) soups and sauces. Ilove ginger squash soup but seldom made itcuz of the pain of pureeing in batches. My current food passion is skyr - an Icelandic cross between cheese and yogurt made from skim milk and sometimes fruit flavored. It is very creamy and rich tasting but unfortunately not available in Canada. It uses both rennet ( the cheesy aspect) and bacteria used in Greek yogurt (the yogurty part). I ate it for breakfast every day in Iceland, usually with a banana and milk. I have managed to find both the rennet and bacterial culture online from a cheese making supplier, after trying gazillions of places locally. Hope it works!R
    Let us know how it turns out! It sounds pretty tasty . I've always had a hard time with breakfast. In high school I never ate it, in college breakfast was coffee and now, I try to eat breakfast but I'm usually rushing out the door in the morning so I just grab a sandwich somewhere. I'll check at a Scandinavian grocery in my neighborhood. They just might have it! It sounds like something I could throw in a pyrex the night before and just grab it on my way out the door.
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    i "liked" this post, but i just wanted to say that i like the term shake!
    Maverick,
    Just wanted to say "what they said."

My FAVS is fresh strawberries, a bit of banana and some yogurt. I'm going to try strawberries, kiwi and yogurt later this week. Not sure about the color it'll make. I'm guessing it won't be a color we'll ever see in a TB bag. I've juiced apples and carrots with a bit of ginger, that was yummy.
    SE in olive, plum S19, SE, pouches and Field Journal. uv S19, Shop Bag, Yarn Sack and organizer Pouches. Synapse25 in steel/uv. Medium Cafe Bag, Western Flyer, SE, Swift & Kit in black. Absolute Strap, steel Kit and small dyneema Pouch, wrist straps, kiwi Swift, Citizen Canine & Kit. Abergine Tri Star, Kit and SE. Wasibi & uv Organizer Cube Pouches, July 4th pouch, December 2011 & 2012 Mystery Gift, 2013 parapack mystery gift and last but not least I'm proud FOT.

I too am having a bit of a hard time imagining what a green "shake" or "smoothie" or "blendie" would taste like; but I'd be willing to try one. Though I can see why a veggie shake would be better made in a VitaMix than a traditional blender. But VitaMixes are expensive: though aren't they made in the USA? In my birthplace of, Cleveland, Ohio (I think).

For a fruit/yogurt smoothie (fresh peaches direct from the orchard, organic nonfat Greek yogurt, and a splash of orange juice), which is how I've starting every morning this summer, I've gone through not one, not two, but three KitchenAid blenders. The second and third were courtesy of warranty replacements, but I finally decided to give up on them. I've tried inexpensive blenders, and they didn't blend well. Finally, I settled on the "beehive"-design Waring blenders, the kind with the heavy ribbed glass container shaped like a cloverleaf. I like them so much that I now have three of them (you know, in case the zombie apocalypse). You can still find them on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    I too am having a bit of a hard time imagining what a green "shake" or "smoothie" or "blendie" would taste like; but I'd be willing to try one. Though I can see why a veggie shake would be better made in a VitaMix than a traditional blender. But VitaMixes are expensive: though aren't they made in the USA? In my birthplace of, Cleveland, Ohio (I think).

For a fruit/yogurt smoothie (fresh peaches direct from the orchard, organic nonfat Greek yogurt, and a splash of orange juice), which is how I've starting every morning this summer, I've gone through not one, not two, but three KitchenAid blenders. The second and third were courtesy of warranty replacements, but I finally decided to give up on them. I've tried inexpensive blenders, and they didn't blend well. Finally, I settled on the "beehive"-design Waring blenders, the kind with the heavy ribbed glass container shaped like a cloverleaf. I like them so much that I now have three of them (you know, in case the zombie apocalypse). You can still find them on eBay.
    Haha. As I was reading your post about burning up 3 blenders, I was instantly going to respond with "get a Waring;" alas, you beat me to it in your post. Waring is very very good.

Black/Steel/Wasabi Super Ego, Cardinal/Steel 15"/13" Cadet, Cardinal/Steel Aeronaut, Olive/Cayenne 13" Ristretto, Camera Insert/Outsert, Horizontal Freudian Slip, 13" MBA Cache, Brain Cell for 13" Macbook, Steel Snake Charmer, FoT/FoJ pouch, Organizer Wallet, and more organizer pouches than I can shake a stick at.

Slightly OT, but may I just say: I love this forum (and all its members)!
    Darcy and Just like this.

My father's 50's vintage Waring was going strong in the early 90's. It went to a friend. I've had mine for 15 years and its still going strong as well. I suspect its got another thirty years in it. They are a bit pricey but well worth it.
    Moose
    SE in olive, plum S19, SE, pouches and Field Journal. uv S19, Shop Bag, Yarn Sack and organizer Pouches. Synapse25 in steel/uv. Medium Cafe Bag, Western Flyer, SE, Swift & Kit in black. Absolute Strap, steel Kit and small dyneema Pouch, wrist straps, kiwi Swift, Citizen Canine & Kit. Abergine Tri Star, Kit and SE. Wasibi & uv Organizer Cube Pouches, July 4th pouch, December 2011 & 2012 Mystery Gift, 2013 parapack mystery gift and last but not least I'm proud FOT.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Kimberly Snyder's (this is a link!) Glowing Green Smoothie recipe is a good one to start with. It has a refreshing, light taste. If you make too much to drink in one sitting, pour the rest into ice cube trays, freeze, then pop the cubes out and put them in zip-lock baggies back in the freezer. Blendie shake cubes are handy to have for days when you didn't make it to the store but still want a green drink.

All the fruit smoothies you guys make sound so good -- especially with strawberries, blueberries and raspberries in season here.
    U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Kimberly Snyder's (this is a link!) Glowing Green Smoothie recipe is a good one to start with. It has a refreshing, light taste. If you make too much to drink in one sitting, pour the rest into ice cube trays, freeze, then pop the cubes out and put them in zip-lock baggies back in the freezer. Blendie shake cubes are handy to have for days when you didn't make it to the store but still want a green drink.

All the fruit smoothies you guys make sound so good -- especially with strawberries, blueberries and raspberries in season here.
    Thanks for the link to the Glowing Green Smoothie, I had never heard of it until you posted up the link. I unfortunately don't have a blender. Wonder if this can be made with an immersion blender? If not, could this be done with a juicer?

Quote Originally Posted by Chowbisou View Post
    Thanks for the link to the Glowing Green Smoothie, I had never heard of it until you posted up the link. I unfortunately don't have a blender. Wonder if this can be made with an immersion blender? If not, could this be done with a juicer?
    Snyder has a Glowing Green Juice recipe, too. I haven't tried it because I don't have a juicer. Let us know how it turns out if you try it!

Snyder has a Glowing Green Juice recipe, too. I haven't tried it because I don't have a juicer. Let us know how it turns out if you try it!
    Thanks for the heads up! I'll let you know if I do try that.

Volunteer Moderator
    hi folks,

today, i put into my juicer:
    * 1 bunch of kale.
    * 4 apples.
    * 1 beet.
    * 8 carrots.
    * 1 tomato.
    * 2 stalks of celery.
    * a piece of ginger root.

besides being good for you and tasting good, the beets provide a lovely color to the juice.

i had a glass of it, and i couldn't believe how incredibly filling it was. i've also been having coconut water in the morning the last few days, followed by a big salad for my lunch as the next meal. so i'm also not used to having so much in the morning. the above made enough to fill the larger life factory bottle, plus probably a 16 oz glass. i know it's better to drink the juice right when you make it, but it's not practical for me to have a juicer at work. so i've made it and am taking it with me for the day.

actually, the best thing to do is to be able to harvest from the field or tree, bring into your home right away, wash, juice and drink right away! definitely something to look forward to if you have a vegetable garden and fruit trees in your yard or farm!

i remember have saag (mustard greens, similar to spinach) in india once. they had been harvested that morning. the preparation was flavorful, the spices weren't overwhelming. you could taste the natural flavor of the saag. i have never had anything quite as amazing as food prepared with freshly harvested ingredients!
    Last edited by maverick; 07-21-2011 at 06:33 AM.
    Darcy likes this.
    -m

Hi Darcy,

I just realized that I never replied back to this thread! Anyway, I have tried the juicer with very good results. The green juice is very veggie and surprisingly good. After using the juicer several times, I decided that I would be better off with a blender because I was bothered by how much pulp was left over with the juicer and felt like I was wasting food.

So I took the leap and bought an Oster blender with a 500-watt motor to make green smoothies! The green smoothie is slightly different from the green juice recipe but still tastes good. I've been drinking these for breakfast for about a week and a half now and am surprised at how much better I feel. Though to be fair, I have been exercising more and am certain that is a contributing factor as well.

Bottom line - I highly recommend trying these green juices or smoothies. :-)

I like the term blendie, but I don't have a problem with the term smoothie, at least I didn't until I started to say it over and over pondering why it may not be a great word. Now I less than enjoy it..
    I don't have a high powered blender. My blender is an attachment for my Bosch Kitchen Machine. It blends well enough for what I put into it. It handles ice nicely. I really love juice from my Breville Juice Fountain. When the fruit is ripe and full of flavor my taste buds are zinging from the notes in my fresh juice.
    My favorites, grapefruit/orange and apple/carrot/celery/peach
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP, SC, BB, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, SE2, MCB, RiPad

Quote Originally Posted by Chowbisou View Post
    Anyway, I have tried the juicer with very good results. The green juice is very veggie and surprisingly good. After using the juicer several times, I decided that I would be better off with a blender because I was bothered by how much pulp was left over with the juicer and felt like I was wasting food.
    Congratulations on the new blender! There's days when I would prefer a juice over the smoothie (still irked by that word!) so a juicer is on my wish list, but I get what you mean about the pulp -- plus, it's really filling.

My favorite greens to put in a smoothie right now: red romaine lettuce and radish greens

In case you're looking for more blender recipes.. this recipe for raw hummus from Kimberly Snyder is really good. I'm sure there's other great raw food/smoothie/juice recipes out there, but Snyder's are so simple and tasty I'm kinda sticking with them for now.

The title of this post should be "passionate about smoothies." Since when did "smoothies" become food? It's a drink.

Now, For us carnivores, let's talk about true food passions: a perfect Cassoulet or Bouillabaise from Southern France, BBQ in North Carolina, Prime Rib in Wyoming, Grilled Salmon in the Pacific Northwest, Oysters from the Gulf of Mexico, Prosciutto di Parma, Aged Balsamic Vinegar, Clotted Cream from England, New Zealand Lamb, Peking Duck, .....I could go on and on.

Anyone else want to contribute?

Any Vegans upset by my post have my humblest of apologies and are free to go back to their smoothies.....
    Last edited by Frank II; 08-11-2011 at 02:47 PM.
    jeffmac likes this.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0